Snow_death

Hidden Camera - No Electricity

I have a house that has had all the wires stripped (for the copper cable.) now people are going in and stealing stuff. It is across the street (1500 feet away) I can not get power to the house but I want to catch the thief's. Do you guys have any ideas on how I can put a camera in that runs off batteries that can transmit 1500 - 2000 feet.

Try Memo Cams - http://www.vdomain.com/ Video Domain Technologies you may be better off with a quick deployed hidden battery operated evidence collector (pir adjustable-motion detect onboard storage retive SD card) that you can conceal all in one package.... check out their products. I have used with good results the memo cam for gun safes and quick setup on critical trouble spots for clients. They added to their line the MC-Z/Mega 1.2 megapixel unit....:"Images are dated, timed and watermarked for integrity."

Sounds like it would be pretty expensive. It's going to take a good camera/illumination and a good radio. And you probably can't accomplish what you want with one camera which presents a whole new set of problems.

For a few hundred bucks you can put in a burglar alarm which I think would run pretty long on batteries.

Look for a place that sells equipment, and supplys for the Paint Ball community.

Buy the land mines, and place this around your house. It will not stop them, but it will ruin there day after they get splattered. If you can respond fast enough it would also ID them.

Game cameras may be an option for the outside.

the memo cams retail for various models 2 to 400 dependent on features.... you stated that they already started to gut and strip wire whats left? maybe pipe/fixtures, set up a remote hidden cam if you have access to property in a area where you suspect there is value left to pilferage, also maybe a good idea to check that you have legal access to do this on private property unless I am to understand that it is your property? .... scorpions idea of Game camera is good idea but some of the big box store models are really for sportsman and they can be difficult to conceal as well some have a flash that trips... there are some IR ones on the market but overall the cheaper ones Ive seen have poor quality and maybe problematic for evidence. Concealment is key for your application ....they may observe and steal your gear as well....these criminals are pretty quick and fast, a buddy of mine in southern florida (broward county) from the backyard of his neighbors forclosed house had hand rails as well as the pool pump stolen.... they got caught when they returned trying to dismantel the hurricane shutters. with all the abonded property hitting the nation this is a growing problem for sure and the price od copper/steel/metal is a driving force., scrap yard cash is a strong incentive

I agree with you Lolo Wolf about using IR!!

The cheap one use 35mm film which means you have to wait before you can see your snapshots.

Digital ones will allow you to see them as soon as you hook them up to a computer.

The ones with LCD screens built in will give you instant access to your snapshots!

( I am not shouting, this is a cut and paste)

ONE FAILURE OF GAME CAMERAS IS THAT PEOPLE POINT THEM AT AN AREA. WHAT IS WRONG IS THAT THE ANIMAL (OR HUMAN) COMES FROM LEFT "STAGE" AND EXITS RIGHT "STAGE".

YOU WILL NOT GET A SHOT BECAUSE OF THE TIMING. YOU MAY GET A PICTURE OF THE TAIL OF THE ANIMAL!

POINT THE CAMERA TOWARDS LEFT, OR RIGHT OF THE "STAGE". NOW THE ANIMAL SETS OFF THE "TRIGGER" (MOTION), AND THEN THE CAMERA GETS THE SHOT AS THEY KEEP APPROACHING! HOW IS THAT FOR SIMPLE? THIS IS A COMMON FAILURE FOR NEWBIES.

http://scorpiontheater.com/game.aspx

The Memo Cam would be perfect for the "Gotcha" shot!

You could run a camera and DVR off a car battery but you would have to recharge it every couple of days. The simplest system would be one designed for mobile operation. A number of manufacturers sell the 12VDC DVR's. Just add one or more 12VDC cameras, a car battery and a car battery charger for your house. You will either have to disconnect the battery from the system to charge it or have two batteries: one running the system and one charging at all times to keep the system running.

These are all great Idea's have. You guys ever had luck out of a drive way sensor? If I can just be alerted when they are over there I have something to ID them... they will be there the next morning also.

Yes, I live in Texas, there is a chain link fence around the property. I don't even have to have a no trespassing sign since they are jumping the gate...

I bought a Drive way and personal sensor from a local dealer.. $65.00 (1500 foot range) B.S. I put the sensor in the house and I can't walk more than 15 - 20' before the receiver stops receiving.

The more and more I think about it I want to find an inexpensive drive way sensor. Could you guys let me know of a good option...

Like someone said there isn't too much over there now to steal other than some of my mothers things (we have stored) but now I believe Kids are coming in and using it to get away from their parents. I would rather stop them before something happens and it burns down.

Elk Gaurd, Ademco LynxR-I with GSML the Elk Gaurd claims it can run for 90 days without power. You should be able to buy an extra battery and just change them out. If you have a phone a regular Lynx would do but I'm thinking it's battery life is much shorter.

optex has a great driveway alert,But the range is only 1,000ft .I suggest google search and try Dakota Alert they have a system that will transmit up to 3,000ft. on 9vbattery.