kriton

Remote DVR viewing from cell phone.

Does anyone have any info on a DVR that will allow remote viewing from a cell phone in addition to the usual laptop or PC viewing? It can be a 4,8, or 16, channel.

You could assume that in theory, yes, but I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has used this feature to some degree of success.

I haven't really had a chance to sit down and test it out with any of the systems we've been installing. So I was wondering if anyone else had with theirs?

It's gonna vary by cell phone. The Treo's will be able handle most of it. The flip phones probley won't work with most of them.

Well, I used to use a company called alnet, and I did use a nokia phone to view the cameras, it's kinda cool, but SLOWWWWW.

it will be slow and they will be dissapointed, unless it is using wireless internet broadband .. which doesnt exist down here. .

Ive used Phone based video with the Kalatel units, slowww.

It's going to be very slow for a while. There are a whole bunch of hyped networks for cells in the future but outside of japan it's gonna be a while before you start seeing broadband bandwith on a cell phone.

Hikvision has mobile application but only runs on a Symbian platform. Streams video and audio. Can realize 15fps at 30k. The only phones it works on are the Sony Ericson and some of the new Nokias that support Symbian.

I would agree to that in most cases, cell-phone viewing can be slow...however there are other factors that definitely play into the speed of viewing.

As we have many customers who use the Alnet System with PDA Phone and Cell Phone remote access. I personally also use the PDA-Phone Viewing on 2 different Cell-Phones: Hitachi G1000 on Sprint PCS Vision (limited to 115 Kb) - approximately 2-5 fps at 320x240 resolution depending on time of day; and Audiovox PPC-6601 on Sprint PCS Vision 3G (approx 300-400 Kb)- approximately 5-8 fps at 320x240 resolution.

Some of our distributors and installers have noted 10-15 fps on the Verizon equivalent of the PPC-6601 using EVDO service.

As each of the manufacturers increase their data network capabilities (Sprint will be expanding to EVDO shortly), you will notice increased speeds and frame-rate on DVR Remote viewing as well.

1. Cell-Phone's Internet connection Speed

2. Provisioning (a problem Sprint is constantly Plagued with)

3. Internet connection speed of DVR Server (upload bandwidth)

4. Time of Day (leads to crowded use of wireless bandwidth)

5. Proximity to Cellular towers, etc.

Interesting idea. I would assume that, if your phone supports a browser, it would work.

Most of the DVR browser remote viewing I have encountered, generally require Java Scripting which cannot be downloaded to most phones, unless ported specifically for the device. Even with a Windows Mobile Cell-Phone, the Pocket IE browser will generally not allow for that advanced rendering. Your best option is a specific Phone Client that is designed for you platform. For example, the Alnet System has client apps for Symbian, Java, and Pocket PC cell phones.

Well, I used to use a company called alnet, and I did use a nokia phone to view the cameras, it's kinda cool, but SLOWWWWW.

What type of Cell service/Phone Model are you using?