qman

Router.

Can somebody PLEASE recommend me a damm router?

The friking belkin I got is dropping connections twice a day, and is a pain to access the menu

A linksys seems to never do the job

the Dlink's are cheap.

I don't care about the cost, just something that would give me no more damm headaces.

(back online!)

i just switched out a linksys with a Dlink tonight, will see how it goes. Linksys has always worked great for my DVRs, this is the first time I had a problem, and a major one at that.

Rory

Lol, so its not just me!

Im having same sort of problems, havent tried Dlink, heard they were crap, netgear has let me down big time, ive got 10 routers sitting in my stock useless, keeps dropping connections, and i tried using it with a Bosch Eazeo observation didnt work. Phoned BOsch they told me to stay away from Netgear, recommended Dlink and 3com. Linksys also has issues. Im gonna order a 3com and see how it goes. Hermin if you dont care about cost, theres a router called Draytek Vigor 2600 which is costly but heard its a brilliant router.

I am looking for it, but it seems only available in the UK

I telling you, I am so frustrated that I am prepared to spend up to 500 bucks on a REAL no dropping signal router.

I just bought a Zyxel router. It's been on 24/7 since I turned it on just over a week ago and hasn't dropped the connection once. Cheaper than the Draytek too.

Could it be a firmware issue with the Linksys? I have put in many. And have two right here at home. Never an issue. I have had to power cycle my modem a few times over the years but the routers keep on routing. One is moderate use for me and my familys' needs. The other gets a daily workout with one wireless customer that is a downloading fiend.

The reason I ask about firmware is because mine are older pre-cisco routers with original f/w. Could it be Cisco screwed up Linksys?

thats what im thinking ..every router I have out in the field is a linksys and never drops the connection, the last 2 I used were the cisco ones and would drop 10 times a day! Everyone I know has a Linksys and has no problems also, but once again before Cisco took over.

It will be a little more with support and AV updates. But I use and love them.

http://www.fortinet.com

I think the 50a runs at $500

The same OS is on there $60,000 system.

It will do IDS, IPS, VPN, SPI, and AV.

I have I guy that can give you a better deal. PM me if you want his info.

That would suck. I have always liked Linksys, and was excited when Cisco took over. I was thinking we would get some amazing products down the road because of the buyout.

Guess not.

I will still buy another Linksys at this point. But any sign of dropped connections and it will be the first thing I swap out during testing.

Steve, never heard of Zyxel, will give it a try though, our routers tend to work well for the first few months, then when you least expect it, the thing buggers up and you're left with a customer screwing over the phone telling you how hes getting crap service

This draytek router looks good though, you can give your customers free calls via VOIP, obviously you;ll need the router on both ends, but it'll save customer money in long run, a bit more expensive than the netgear and Linksys though. http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html, very impressive

Update: the DLink I installed last night has been working without any issues so far, and is even the full bandwidth now. SO looks like I have to switch if thats the way the linksys are going to be from now on ..

Rory

i've used edimax routers for about 10-12 installations

never had a dropped line or any other problem

it has all the functions i'd ever need, supports all kinds of broadband connections and so on

the price here is about $40

We put over 50 D-Links DI-604, and never a problem. I'll usually find them for around $30 on the web. Had problems with Linksys losing their port forwarding settings.

A Router is not a part of a security system.

But D Link and Linksys are the same price down here.

A Router is not a part of a security system.

But D Link and Linksys are the same price down here.

I thought you guys used routers to give remote access to the security system? With a remote owner if that goes down they think the whole system is broken.

Its is only an add on, not a vital part. With the Reliability of the inernet and ISPs you cant guarantee the client that it will always work properly, hence cannot be an actual part of the security system, just a toy

Thats why local recording is important, otherwise its not a security system.

And ofcourse you need to protect that local recorder also.

sonicwall is nice because the GUI and OS are the same on all there systems. so you buy a 300 dollar box and it has the same os as the 3000 dollar box.

I like the watchguard. www.watchguard.com

Sonicwalls have thier quirks. And a firewall is a vital part of the system. Even a standalone can be vunerable to a linux rootkit.

Sonicwalls have thier quirks. And a firewall is a vital part of the system. Even a standalone can be vunerable to a linux rootkit.

That depends if the stand alone uses Linux :-0

If its not on the web, then its safe unless they break in and steal it

If it's on the web then you firewall it. Depending on it being an odd OS is akin to using dummy cameras.

If it's on the web then you firewall it. Depending on it being an odd OS is akin to using dummy cameras.

GE uses the Nucleous RTOS .... short of looking at the video there's not much else one can do to it (short of uploading a new bin if they hack into it ofcourse) ... if its mission critical then thats a whole different ball game ..

Either way, a Router, nor the web, are part of a security system .. just add ons. Thats if you want it really secure ..anyone can hack a password and username to view the video anyway .. once you get the username and pass you can upload a new bin file ;-0

anyway ..that said i always use a router anyway as the users always want an extra PC on as well ..