Hello,

I am looking for some CCTV tester . All arround the internet I have found a lot of testers but I need one that can give some reports after testing, reports that I can give to my client. He asks me to test all hes cameras and give him this kind of report if the cameras are OK .

Can you help me? PLS

Thank you

Interesting question. I don't know about a cctv specific tester that prints reports. But there are a number of cable testers out there that will print results. What test parameters is he looking for? Maybe cable tests will satisfy him?

Is the video image acceptable to the client? I mean, that is the ultimate test...

Don't have any suggestions for you offhand, but having used that type of tester for network runs, I can tell you right now, it's gonna be pretty spendy.

I do not have an example, but I am sure you might find a Fluke Tester that will give you something that you need, and then it probably will have a way to down load the info in to a computer. You could print it out from there, or do a screen shot.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/home/default.htm

Is he is willing to spend some serious money?

You could aslo use a TDR.

Sounds like he is creating line base for testing knowing that the specs can not keep up, and this will give him an out for not paying a bill.

What is his reason for tracking the status of the wiring?

When we cabled the new campus at the digital-arts school I used to work at, we bought so much Cat-5e, the supplier loaned us a really nice Fluke tester - it tested, measured and logged the length of each run on a room-by-room basis so we could pull it into a computer later. There were probably 15-16 rooms with 16 or 24 runs to each one, that according to the sum of all the cable cataloged in the tester, came to nearly 30km(!!!) of cable.

The tester we were using, they told us, sold for about $3000...

In the company that I work we have a Fluke DSP 4000 tester for testing and documenting Cat5,Cat6 Networks and this one I could use but I was wondering if I could find something like that special for CCTV networks. This fluke is made by two parts, one at one side of the cable and the other at the other side of the cable, and my expectations for this CCTV terster were to be like this Fluke but be made of only one part,the one that is receiving the signal so the camera will transmit and the tester will receive and compare with the normal values of the signal and give me a PASS or FAIL if the signal that he is receiving is bad. And test result to be saved and downloaded into the computer as a report for that camera.

I dont know is I will find something like that but this is the thing I am looking for.

I hope we will find a solution

Thank you

I would explain to the client that his money would be better spent if you came by and cleaned the camera lenses once a month instead.

This fluke is made by two parts, one at one side of the cable and the other at the other side of the cable, and my expectations for this CCTV terster were to be like this Fluke but be made of only one part,the one that is receiving the signal so the camera will transmit and the tester will receive and compare with the normal values of the signal and give me a PASS or FAIL if the signal that he is receiving is bad.

Ah, that sort of tester is known as "a VCR and your eyes"

The problem is, the tester has no idea what kind of signal the camera is generating, so it has no way of knowing what the "quality" of that signal is. It needs its own, known-quality signal source at the other end, so it can compare the signal it's receiving against what it knows the signal SHOULD look like.

Simply taking a "snapshot" of the camera's signal at one point and using that as a comparison later won't work either, because again, the tester has no way of knowing whether the camera itself is failing - all it's supposed to be testing is the cable. It could show a FAIL when the cable is perfectly fine, because the camera is having issues.

No, such a tester MUST be a two-part unit.

100 % agree with Soundy

What I done few times

NTSC standard signal Gen in place of the camera

and Oscilloscope at the DVR

then u can have some data to play and analyse

100 % agree with Soundy

What I done few times

Since I use a portable DVD player as my field monitor, I made a DVD with various looped test signals - color bars, alignment grids, grey scales, etc. Don't need to use it very often, and I wouldn't really trust any of them for laboratory-grade signal analysis, but it's handy to carry around. It's easy to look at the player's screen to compare, too.

Maybe I should look into a USB/software oscilloscope for my laptop

100 % agree with Soundy

What I done few times

Since I use a portable DVD player as my field monitor, I made a DVD with various looped test signals - color bars, alignment grids, grey scales, etc. Don't need to use it very often, and I wouldn't really trust any of them for laboratory-grade signal analysis, but it's handy to carry around. It's easy to look at the player's screen to compare, too.

Agree don't use very often my self

good old days of service are gone (thanks god)

i mean component level repair

whole industry is for "dummies" plug and play

I guess that why we like IP based,mega pix and etc.....

By the way I can probably help you to get hand held NTSC Gen

so u can use with USB based Scope

100 % agree with Soundy

What I done few times

Agree don't use very often my self

good old days of service are gone (thanks god)

i mean component level repair

Don't even get me started... my previous job was tech support at a digital-arts school... the digital-video lab had component monitors, we spent hours with the signal gen and vectorscope getting everything JUST SO. Didn't help that one of the instructors was beyond anal about it, either - "look at that trace, the blue cable must be a quarter-inch longer than the others!"

By the way I can probably help you to get hand held NTSC Gen

so u can use with USB based Scope

Thanks, but I don't think I could justify the cost of either from a business perspective

I pretty much agree with everyone on this subject. If the customer really wants a comparison, why not just save a snapshot of the picture from each camera for comparison purposes?

If you are using cat 5 or 6 you can certifiy it with a fluke or we have a

tester made by testum that has software for room layouts as well as the ability to download to PC it is only 1500 and I like it better than our 4000.00 microtester. Keep in mind that if your runs are longer than 300 ft you will get a failure as the tester assumes you are using ethernet this tester will do coax but just gives wire map test of that.