smokingjoe

Trouble getting IP address

Hello AK357!

Would you be kind enough to enlighten the rest of us with your solution?

What I meant in my offer (comment)

I will call "smokingjoe" at my cost (if he live in US)

do remote help

and try to help him to solve his problem

that all

or may be somebody else want to do it

Now that you have switched ports on the router, and the computer is pulling a 10 address then look at your IP config, and use that gateway to log in to the router/modem.

Failing that I would call tech support, and let them no what you are doing, and lets see what they say, or should I say hear what they say.

exactly. also, look at your router (usually underneath) and see if it says what the default ip gateway should be. some routers have this.

Hi guys, Hopefully I will get this figured out shortly. I received an offer from Coolie11 and I left him a message. I will let you know what the problem was.

Guess what guys Mission Accomplished. I can now connect local and remote.

I guess the main problem was that the router from my service provider was only set up for one Internet connection. I purchased another router and coolie11 helped me set it up. Maybe coolie11 can go into more detail.

I do have one thing to say. With me being a country boy rookie I am sure coolie11's patience were tested and he passed with flying colors.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

smokingjoe

Just for reference in case anyone runs into the same problem.

Buy a network switch, connect it to port one on the router, connect your devices to the switch and you should be good to go.

The issue was that the service provider had pre-configured the Comtrend Modem/Router to allow internet access through Ethernet Port 1 and The USB Port only, and the other three ports for there Video over IP Service thus requiring an additional network switch for connecting more than one CPU on the Lan side.

All four ports on the Comtrend can be configured to connect to the Wan side using different IP addresses.

I know some of you are probably wondering why we didn't just configure another port for the Lan within the same subnet as port one, well I spoke to tech support and before the words came out my mouth he said we do not allow alternate configurations on ports 3-4, those are dedicated for our Video Service and that they do not provide any means or addition equipment for customers that need multiple connections.

Based on what I saw you can re-configure the ports any how you like, I didn't advise this as I didnt want to take the chance of causing issues with the video service, but yes, you can configure ports 1-3 for the Lan.

The setup of the router is pretty typical for remote access using Port Triggering.

The only real problem here now, is that I'm left wondering how there Video over IP works, how are they able to transmit various channels over a DSL line without any issues with QOS.

The issue was that the service provider had pre-configured the Comtrend Modem/Router to allow internet access through Ethernet Port 1 and The USB Port only, and the other three ports for there Video over IP Service thus requiring an additional network switch for connecting more than one CPU on the Lan side.

Thanks for posting the resolution. The IPTV thing did sound suspicious.

I think it is about time somebody will provide to this poor guy "Remote help"

What are you using for remote help? We have been using logmein Rescue. --I love it! And I'm not even the IT guy...

I think it is about time somebody will provide to this poor guy "Remote help"

What are you using for remote help? We have been using logmein Rescue. --I love it! And I'm not even the IT guy...

TeamViewer now

Was using Remote administrator, UltraVNC SC, Logmein