hgiljr

MPEG 4 or H.264 DVR

Hello everyone. I am shopping around and learning a lot about DVR's and cams, but one question I have had a hard time finding is which technology to go with, MPEG4 or H.264? The system is mainly for my home and all being cams being external. If anyone can shed some light and help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

Do not select either of them.

What you really need to do is think about how you are going to use them. Do you really want to spend double the money for H.264 when MPEG will do just fine on the cheap?

If you have multiple stores, and you want to see various DVRs all at the same time then H.264 is the right choice, and cost is not a factor.

What is right for you? Budget is of the essence, or bandwith over the internet is of the essence?

Now! Which machine would you prefer?

if your requirement does not include remote view via low bandwidth network (i.e ADSL) and your installation is only limit to 16 cameras, MPEG4 will be a better choice for the price, and don't worry about hard disk space they are cheap to buy.

Interesting about h.264 being more expensive. Most of the DVR's I have found, the MPEG4 have been more expensive. Will look at all specs to see what is different. Thanks again

Interesting about h.264 being more expensive. Most of the DVR's I have found, the MPEG4 have been more expensive. Will look at all specs to see what is different. Thanks again

oh..i see... usually MPEG4 DVR's are cheaper than H.264. check on the specs. the DVR might contain goodies like USB large capacity back-up, VGA built in output, expandable storage etc etc etc.

Hello everyone. I am shopping around and learning a lot about DVR's and cams, but one question I have had a hard time finding is which technology to go with, MPEG4 or H.264? The system is mainly for my home and all being cams being external. If anyone can shed some light and help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi,

I think you may just need the MPEG4 DVR. Since you want to install in your own home. Since there are Linux MPEG4 DVR systems that records only when there are object in motion or during certain events, Hi compression DVR like the H.264 is not that very important

The above posters are right however I believe H.264 delivers better quality images than MPEG-4. So if image quality is high on your requirements list then H.264 is the way to go otherwise MPEG-4 will be fine.

Actually it's up to your special needs. If you want to have pretty high quality picture, H.264 is your choice. But if your requirements is not so high, MPEG4 is enough. What's more, H.264, with the latest in video compression technology, can save you much HDD. So if you want to keep your DVR recording continuously for a long time, then H.264, orelse, MPEG4 can meet you need. Set up motion detection can save your HDD.

Make a wise choice according to your needs.

Best regards!

You could......buy a IP camera license for the Bosch Dibos, load the software on a decent PC.... for cameras, as long as they have a MJPEG stream - you can record it.

Another good system for homes is the Bosch Divar MR.

If you want the best bang for the buck buy, the real question is - how much is in your budget?