harrystone

How to find a hidden camera?

There is a "view lens" device that you peer through, and you can find hidden cameras in one second flat!

It does not have to be operational nor, it does not need to be powered to find it.

It will not find cameras hidden through fiber optic though.

It can find cameras hidden in objects such as behind tint on clock radios, and the such.

There are also monitors that have built in wireless receivers, and they scann through the wireless camera spectrum. When you see video then you wave your arms to track its origin.

There are devices for the electronically taught where you see the scope signature of a wired, or a wireless camera.

You will find motion detectors in a lot of hotel rooms. They are more to control the HVAC, or to determine room occupancy

There is a "view lens" device that you peer through, and you can find hidden cameras in one second flat!

Scorp, you have a link to this?

If it's a wireless camera it can be detected with a simple and very cheap "RF sniffer", e.g.:

http://www.vk2zay.net/article/192

Or a much more sophisticated (and expensive) frequency finder device:

http://www.optoelectronics.com/scout.htm

http://www.optoelectronics.com/videosweeper.htm

If within the 2.4GHz allocation it can be seen using existing 2.4GHz receivers.

If you want to make your own, it's quite easy using these Comtech modules:

http://www.13cm.co.uk/

If it's not wireless, the on-board syncs (line sync frequency) may just be detectable using a dedicated device in very close proximity.

If it has an infra-red emitter then this will be visible by using a camera capable of seeing IR.

Well, I found two devices to find or detect hidden cameras as you said.See if they are the ones you guys are talking about, and what do you think of the price. [mod edit, no store links - describe the products and price instead] I found two there.

a better way is to detect the 15khz sync osc in the camera as the TX could be 10ghz you wont detect that with spy store gear.

my 2c

If you are trying to "find" it that means someone is trying to "hide" it.

If they are hiding it then they may turn off the power when it is not being "used".

The lens finder will find the camera even if it is not powered, and the device does not have to be operational to find it.

Do not forget that X10 cameras are all on the same channel of 2.4Ghz, and they power off all of the cameras, except the one that was triggered.

If the camera is hidden inside of something then you will have have a circuit that allows you to turn down the sensitivity of an ocillator detector.

You might find the RF in the center of the room, and now you need to desensitise it to get even closer, and then even closer until you are right on top of the device.

What do you think?

if your in the room why would they turn it off.. [ah maybe for important guests]

but yes one of those flasher style optical detectors is a must. but there are ways of defeating that also. shutters/optics/mirrors etc

Spy store RF gear can be detected like a beacon in the night -gov gear not so easy...

zmxtech

I agree with you 100 percent!!

Usually in the "residential" market it is usually the "cheating husband/wife" kind of product that the opposite is trying to find.

If one is trying to find cameras that have fiber optic, or other devices then I would say that would be an elevated threat level.

I would be on the assumption that an child custody is battling out, or that there is an obcene amount of cash involved.

I were to teach a new incoming person to this field then I would have them interview the customer before going out.

I like to know if they know who the "threat" is, or is this an "unknown" threat.

The case that created the bugging will tell you how to go about "finding" the devices, or how much money, or what is at stake will tell you whether "cheap spy shop gadgets" are used, or if it is going to be "professional" grade stuff.

Most of the professional grade stuff the average Joe/Jane off the street would not know where to buy them, or they may not be able to afford them.

They will buy them if they cannot afford them to keep custody of a child, or to keep from losing an obcene amount of money through divorce, or business split up.

For the unknow threats then I would normally be dealing with a guy who is waiting on the patent rights of a product, and someone is trying to steal the "formula", "product ideas"the technique".

People who work in research, and development are at the most risk. They can be spied on by rival companies, or some foreign country who steals product ideas, and mass produces them in quanity, and they could care less about gaining the patent rights.

There are those who steal forumulas/product ideas/or techniques, and then they sell them to others.

If you do not fall in these "quick" categories then perhaps the customer may fall in to the illegal crowd, or the drug crowd. Now you can expand those threats, and add law enforcement.

Note to the new people:

You cannot "legally" devulge LE devices to your clients.

You can get involved with obstruction of law enforcement, or worse be on the "crud" list.

What do you think?

The easiest way to figure out the hidden camera's is use of Camera Detector, they are both wired as well as wireless.

Here is a picture of what one looks like. Scroll down to the device that has the LEDs surrounding the view finder

http://scorpiontheater.com/BUGDETECTORS.aspx

Gotta ask how it works? I could see if it looked for IR illuminators, but they aren't that common. Does it just look for an IR reflection from the CCD chip in the cam?

I've found cameras just holding a mini flashlight to my temple. Seems to work to figure out the angle of view also. Just look for the little purple glint.

Of course if I have reason to think I'm being targeted I'll use something a little more advanced!