bpzle

POE Switch Suggestion?

I have a 16 camera install coming up. I’m going to have a mix of analog, IP, and IP megapixel cameras.

Q1:You guys have suggestions for a POE switch? I was looking at using the Netgear FS726TP. What I like about it is it has 12 ports with POE , 10 regular 10/100, and 2 gigabit ports.

Q2: Since the Netgear switch has 2 gigabit ports, I was thinking about adding a gigabit network card to the NVR I’m going to use. Do you think it would help speed things up for the NVR or would it be a waste of cash? My goal is to have the highest possible fps for the megapixel cameras I’ll be using. I know this will eat up bandwidth faster than anything I’ve been around before, so I figured it sure couldn't hurt.

make sure the poe switch will give equal power to all ports or you might run out of power for all the cameras

yes use the gig ports to the nvr

ive used adtran poe and cisco/linksys for a smaller poe switch and both worked great

Depends how many PoE cameras you have, but I've used the LinkSys SFE1000P on a number of sites now, and been really happy with it: eight 10/100 PoE ports, plus two GbE/fiber ports; the GbE ports feed the Vigil hybrid DVR, and an 8x1TB iSCSI RAID array.

I also used a 24-port LinkSys gigabit PoE switch (the exact model escapes me at the moment) for a 13-IP-camera job; two ports were also used for the Vigil NVR and the Vigil "HD Viewer" machine (PC with multiple display cards to send IP cams to VGA displays), and two more for a pair of ADAM-6060 network relays. That one's been holding up well for at least a couple years now.

D-link recently increased their lineup for POW switches.. As matter of fact they actually trying to break into our business by offering IP camera solution including cameras, software, storage, etc...

Here is their link: http://www.dlink.com/category/productcategories/?cid=73 - they presently have 24 port POE and already talking about up to 48 position switch with POE... These switches are commonly available - check with your local distribution...

Depends how many PoE cameras you have, but I've used the LinkSys SFE1000P on a number of sites now, and been really happy with it: eight 10/100 PoE ports, plus two GbE/fiber ports; the GbE ports feed the Vigil hybrid DVR, and an 8x1TB iSCSI RAID array.

I also used a 24-port LinkSys gigabit PoE switch (the exact model escapes me at the moment) for a 13-IP-camera job; two ports were also used for the Vigil NVR and the Vigil "HD Viewer" machine (PC with multiple display cards to send IP cams to VGA displays), and two more for a pair of ADAM-6060 network relays. That one's been holding up well for at least a couple years now.

Linksys SRW2024P, would be suitable.

I used a Dell Powerconnect 3424P for my install. This is Dell's previous model line for switches, so it was considerably cheaper than a current model. We are already using that model for our internal network in the 48 port version (3448P), and it has been extremely stable. I picked it up new for about $275. Not bad for a commercial grade switch with 15w PoE on all ports. It more than handled the dozen ACTi 3511s which only pull 7 and a half watts. You might have to check ebay or some reseller to get the previous model though. Dell will probably only have their new line available.

I can tell you one thing from my experience I have learned - dont buy cheap ones like Dlink, Netgear, Planet, its SO crap, more problems than actual usage.

HP, Dell, Linksys etc.

I can tell you one thing from my experience I have learned - dont buy cheap ones like Dlink, Netgear, Planet, its SO crap, more problems than actual usage.

Aggreed!! I would love to fined a cheep qualty 4-8 port switch that works besides the Cisco/Linksys we have been using.

Is that older one a managed switch? If not, that would probably account for the much lower cost...

Yes, the 34xx switch series from Dell are managed. Since Dell now has their 35xx line, they sold their 34xx stock to resellers on the cheap.

I use either Enterasys or Adtran, i have had more problems with those cheap poe switches like netgear. The netgear switches kept having port issues to where the port didnt supply power or it just burnt out.

We have been selling alot of the SRW208p from Linksys for small IP Camera Installations. I think the price point more then anything is the justification though it does have basic QOS and Gigabit Uplinks.

I went with this unit recently and it is excellent:

http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/AXIS-Power-over-Ethernet-Injector-5014-004-p/axis-poe-injector-5014-004.htm

Cost a fair bit but considering it was for a customer with an operating budget in the tens of millions of dollars they understand that it is all about quality over penny pinching (if only all of my customers thought the same way).

I went with this unit recently and it is excellent:

http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/AXIS-Power-over-Ethernet-Injector-5014-004-p/axis-poe-injector-5014-004.htm

Cost a fair bit but considering it was for a customer with an operating budget in the tens of millions of dollars they understand that it is all about quality over penny pinching (if only all of my customers thought the same way).

Does Axis actually make these units or does an Axis employee stick an Axis label on a unit made by another company?

Best,

Christopher