Rory, sup man?

Well, may be I will make an exception in your case and make it to work on DOS, wouldn't that be great?

In serious side of this discussion, we are already in place to start testing whatever version of the software available in Linux, BSD and XP platforms. I know it works fairly well in Linux and BSD (well, it was designed with these OS systems in mind), however we are going much further than that - will have a version working on XP.

As for Vista, well, not sure if it is worth spending resources, as Win7 is around the corner... We will find out more in the next few weeks if we should wait for the release of Win7 or should we have Vista version... and Vista being much more difficult platform vs. others.

With this concept software, one camera per household should not be that difficult to sell... - of course when such software could come with sub-200 or even better sub-150 price tag for such IP camera... actually working on that at the moment with few manufacturers...

Look at it from this point of view - why so many home owners not only in U.S., but elsewhere in the world still do not "want" or "care" to have camera installed for their own protection? Is it may be that our industry made it so difficult for most not to even comprehend and even worse, not be able to install such hardware at home? Computer industry has done a great job that most people are able to take a product home and plug in and it works... and why not for camera system for home or small business protection?

Main idea is this - most everyone has an extra computer at home collecting dust and instead, you can fire it up, install whatever version of this software you desire and the platform is ready for the camera hardware. Run your Ethernet cable from your computer to your camera and then the software will automatically detect its existence and start working right away... and dependent which camera it may be and how much storage you want to have, of course it will determine how many days or weeks of info you can store...

true dat ... dos wud be good ..

now bout the 1 camera per household .. wudent it be cheaper with a $5 chinese bullet camera and the household's TV A/V input?

true dat ... dos wud be good ..

now bout the 1 camera per household .. wudent it be cheaper with a $5 chinese bullet camera and the household's TV A/V input?

Great idea, how didn't I think of this one... then how do we record using very cheap NVR solution??

Computer technology today is able to produce sub-$100 computers, smart phones cost less than than $100, many useful gadgets we use daily that perform much more complex functions that any CCTV camera in existence... and the question is always why is our industry, the CCTV Security Industry, is always behind this curve? The answer is simple and very complex and has its own merits based on who the audiences really are.

This concept is not there to "change" the industry as it is known. Rather offer much simpler, extremely cost effective and yet functional solution to most existing or potential users world wide. Do we have a such solution today that could qualify for this scenario? I sure can not find one such solution except what Zoneminder has done in the past. Yes, their version of the software is very difficult to install and not easy to operate and for ordinary "joe", it is not an option... and considering the fact that this distribution has over 12,000 followers itself is a hell of an accomplishment.

Now, the source code is available for anybody who cares to download (like Linux operating system), make changes and put back to the distribution and it belongs to nobody (sound familiar with Linux platform?). It already comes with some very essential feature already in place such as zoom function during and after the record, video analytics, various type of searches (including instant playback) to name the few. All I am suggesting is that by taking what already is available and with a very mature code, by developing better GUI, clean up the code, add additional feature and functions that most software manufacturers are screaming their lungs out, then put it back to the community for their own use.

I know this - it will never be "fix all" solution for every user. Rather a solution available for anyone who cares to have a software solution that costs nothing period. If such user wants documentation, or buy software on CDs, or technical support, then that is where someone can actually make some money, not much, but still an income.

What is even more interesting is that major computer components manufacturers are interested on this idea - all it does is increases their possibilities to sell more computer hardware... switches, storage, etc... if so the user wants it.

I am committed to this idea and a distribution of the software for a long haul. There are many hurdles ahead and many obstacles that are under serious consideration. It is not easy by any means, rather a solution that I firmly believe that is due for our industry. Based on our preliminary marketing research, potential number of users for such application is enormous as long as it works and as long as we find a reliable supply of cheap IP cameras and guess what - there are quite of few manufacturers in China that actually has shown a great interest in participation of such program..

I can already see software manufacturers uncomfortable about this and any other idea following this path (I should know, I am already getting calls with many questions about our intentions). Well, they should be worried and very worried if I may add. Their marketing must now focus on very specific vertical markets and capture very specific customers for them to survive. As for majority of potential users, they should and will start questioning all software manufacturers "charging models" for a software based on cost per camera license, yearly maintenance costs and god know what else.

Great idea, how didn't I think of this one... then how do we record using very cheap NVR solution??

well you just said one camera per household, not plus recorder

portable DVD recorder ... some say it works great .. get the chinese to mass produce them at $5 a piece

Dont forget though there is still one major flaw with IP .. the household must have an existing network .. not all do .. and what might be cheap there, could be three or four times the cost elsewhere

but i have wifi so i look forward to the software ... and my free IP / webcam

ps. cud also run the linux in virtual PC in an existing XP install, so no need for the extra computer. Also how bout open source XP software, mac users can then use it in parallels also, while browsing facebook and testing out the latest viruses and trojans.

Great points bud.. and I am not going to dispute any comments that you and others make about this concept. Any negative comment for this concept is a great feedback, as it shapes how we have to fix problems and not to discourage why we do it in the firs place.

The first cut of this software will work on Linux and BSD platform for sure. They could come as a separate application or a patch to a distribution or complete with OS and application combined. I personally will prefer BSD OS, as it has the best memory management built in and capabilities are tremendously better than any other OS out there... End users will not see or care which OS it normally comes if it is the bundled version and such package does not have to be updated often. Later cuts of the same application will be available on Windows (most likely on XP and later on Win7) or VMWare (my personal preference). If users go with the VMware version of this distro, then then will have a chance to run different OS systems around it (more advanced user probably will do this anyway).

We are leaning to have three different cuts for this distribution:

1. Light version covering up to 16 IP cameras.

2. Standard version covering up to 64 IP cameras

3. Extreme version that can take number of IP cameras up to 1,024 - this is an inherent limitation on BSD side, which will increase at one point of time. Windows version will not exceed more than 128 IP cameras (Windows design limitations) and the Linux looks good for up to 256 IP camera connections). Of course you will need major network infrastructure behind such solution with fiber channel or other very well known network components, but it is possible to make this to work. Most manufacturers of IP cameras started shifting their efforts to product products that spit out H.264 compression based video, which will help in the long run.

What is very interesting for this package is that it doe not prefer any specific IP camera configuration (open source) and presently supports most of the IP cameras in the market, Axis, Panasonic, Arecont (which basically covers majority of Bosch, American Dynamics, GE IP solutions) D-Link to name the few. Manufacturers of IP cameras will be encouraged to work with the community or better yet, participate with the community to write the necessary drivers to insure best results. Of course, most will not follow this track, as most have their own solutions in place.

Free market enterprise is based on many choices and choices is what I want more without any restriction on any specific proprietary platform, regardless if it is hardware or software.

Last (30) plus years has shown clearly that any company trying to isolate itself from the pack always looses. The pack determines what the industry needs are and not chosen few companies. I am not against any company making tons of money, heck we are in business to make money. Specifically our industry never had any industry standards unlike the most other industries around us. Since IP technology based solutions for security industry are here and will stay, my only angle is to make things as easy and simple as possible and have very low cost and yet fully functional solutions for most of the users.

Someone may disagree that Linux has very strong backers or does not have footing to survive and has been said about the Linux since its inception. Look where it is today and where it really is going. IBM and other giants are behind this platform and they made Linux possible for most of us today. Even Google is jumping into the same wagon (heck most of their servers use and operate Linux) and introducing Chrome operating system, which is a stripped down version of Linux. I wander why even Google look at Linux as a legitimate OS??

Rory, I know you work on software code and I am sure you are very good at it... If you had an opportunity to download decent NVR software and make changes for better and make it part of what you sell to your customers, wouldn't that be a good thing and if you had any questions or require help, wouldn't be great to know that there is a huge community behind it, so that you will find your answers fairly quickly??

Geez what about LuxRiot? Maybe not the best on the market but nowhere near the cost of what you all are talking about?!

The camera support is top notch too... 5K low end? Oh my heart!

And if you look really close at the camera support you will find camera's that are truely "LuxRiot Specific".

Agreed.

Are there any Luxriot dealers on here that could get me a good price on a 4 or 5 camera license? Thanks

They are sold 4 - 9 or 16

let me know what u want

p.s.

call me

Alex

What is the consensus here about the operating system preference for IP software and why?

1. Linux based?

2. FreeBSD based?

Or good old fashion Windows?

What if you had the software working on all these platforms in a single download and selectable by the user at the install?

How about should this application be available stand alone to be installed in a different operating systems or should it come combined with any of the above systems (excluding windows of course)? This way someone can install both operating system and the application together...

These are some of the questions that we are tossing around at the moment. My personal preference is either BSD (the best memory management protocol and works best with older PC hardware) or Linux (fairly stable platform)... but I am sure others could ask for windows version as well...

I'm sure it wouldn't really matter as long as it worked. I just purchased Luxriot but I would have just as easily purchased a Linux or BSD based software if there was one available that supported all the cameras (or most) out there. I would even buy it if it was strictly running and configured by a remote web front end and the pc running it command line only. Once its up and running and you can just browse to the IP address for the rest of the setup.

I'm sure it wouldn't really matter as long as it worked. I just purchased Luxriot but I would have just as easily purchased a Linux or BSD based software if there was one available that supported all the cameras (or most) out there. I would even buy it if it was strictly running and configured by a remote web front end and the pc running it command line only. Once its up and running and you can just browse to the IP address for the rest of the setup.

Thanks bud for your comments... you keep mentioning "purchase" the software, but it will be available for free download with no strings attached... and yes, it does work and will work just fine and is very stable... the first cut of this distro is scheduled for download sometimes December this year or earlier...

At the moment it supports at least 90% of the known IP cameras. We are fine tunning the MP cameras and writing the drivers... mainly for Arecont based solutions not only from Arecont, but also from Bosch, GE and even American Dynamics (by the way, Arecont supplies the same chipsets and the cameras to these companies). Axis, D-Link, Hikvision, Panasonic and few others are also in the lineup... Not sure about the rest, as we had not had a chance to test them yet.

Running command line will be great feature, but most users most likely prefer simple install and with simple plug-in and play feature... The intend is to make this software simple to install and operate without any complications. Of course, more advanced users can get into the command line feature, which could be part of the Linux or BSD setup..

Somewhere above, Rory mentioned that he prefers XP (no windows version 3.1 or DOS please). Why just XP and not Vista or even better, WIN7 for windows users? Our initial observations show that most do not care which operating system this application could run, as long as it operates.. as most want to install on a separate PC...

Thanks again...

Somewhere above, Rory mentioned that he prefers XP (no windows version 3.1 or DOS please). Why just XP and not Vista or even better, WIN7 for windows users? Our initial observations show that most do not care which operating system this application could run, as long as it operates.. as most want to install on a separate PC...

Thanks again...

because Vista sucks and windows 7 is the same.

If its not XP i might as well just use a Mac.

Windows XP Professional>

cpuboth.jpg

btmrvb.jpg

WOW FREE!!?? I wish I would have read that before I dropped that coin on the Luxriot software Dont know if it supports Acti cameras but they will give you the SDK for their cameras free (they only have one). Also, nothings really free is it? How would you benefit from it? I would be willing to beta test it for you and provide detailed feedback if your interested.

OK Rory, you made your point and I will not dispute it... I feel the same about bot Vista and Win7 anyway (by the way, I am using a computer right now that has the corporate version Win7 - piece of garbage, as it crashes more often than I care to mention)... but I look at much bigger picture and users who will not have a choice available to them... you know, the ordinary Joe who uses whatever they can get their hand on...

Obvious choice could start with this application riding on Linus distro or BSD... to be installed together as a complete system... the problem is that not everyone may want to follow this trend and rather could require this application to work on their existing Microsoft OS... which could be Vista or better yet, Win7.. so, I want to keep this option open for most users... Of course, we will have it riding on XP as the first Windows OS choice anyway.

You also brought a good point about MAC computers... by the way, did you know that Apple is using very specific version of BSD core software? We have not tried this angle yet, but something tells me that since its main engine is based on BSD operating system, this application stands a chance to run on MAC... we have to wait and see how that will happen, which probably will involve Apple SDK compliance issues, etc... Great observation Rory... and thanks.

WOW FREE!!?? I wish I would have read that before I dropped that coin on the Luxriot software Dont know if it supports Acti cameras but they will give you the SDK for their cameras free (they only have one). Also, nothings really free is it? How would you benefit from it? I would be willing to beta test it for you and provide detailed feedback if your interested.

Hey bud, you did what most of everyone will do since this cut of the distro is not ready for release until early December this year... so do not feel bad...

This distro does cover most of the known IP cameras in the market (I am not 100% sure about Acti, but if not, eventually it will).

Have you ever used any Linux distro that you may have been able to download from their respective company's website for "free"? If you did so, then if you were able to make it to work, then was there any cost with it? This IP cameras software is no exception to that rule...

All our beta testing will be done either in-house or with few selected customers who has shown great interest to test such solution. Few of these customers are already using "paid" version of solutions from companies that I will keep nameless.. do not want to piss such companies off, as they stand a very good chance to be kicked out from these customer's facilities.. Once we have the first stable cut version of this software available for general public, I can give you and others who care to test an opportunity to download and play with it.

We expect many questions, disagreements or requests for more features and functions... Most known features and functions that are popular with "paid" version of the similar software will be part of this distribution. It may take more time to incorporate everything and add even more functions that "paid" versions do not offer (or better yet, they offer for even more money), but this is not a solution that stops after its introduction... rather continued support and engineering that right now accounts to more than 111 engineers throughout the world. All we do is creation of a very specific distribution that we think could make a serious dent in our industry standards - combined with much better priced IP cameras or even MP IP cameras.

Heck, if you can buy Iphone for less than $300, why can't we have sub-$100 IP cameras that do not perform even 10% of the tasks of Iphone??? Is it may be that certain companies want to make sure that we do not have access for this type of lower cost hardware or trying to delay introduction of such solutions? You be the judge of this angle...

You also brought a good point about MAC computers... by the way, did you know that Apple is using very specific version of BSD core software? We have not tried this angle yet, but something tells me that since its main engine is based on BSD operating system, this application stands a chance to run on MAC... we have to wait and see how that will happen, which probably will involve Apple SDK compliance issues, etc... Great observation Rory... and thanks.

APPLE uses ExacqVision for there NVR solution....... and they are running it on Linux boxes..... and Exacq works on MAC

its all good

hey tried this free Windows OS yet?

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

You are funny man... - if you have to ask, then yes, we do know about this project... which is in its "alpha" stages and god knows where it may end up...

Did you try it yourself and if so, what do you think?

I prefer to steer away from anything that is "alpha" or "beta" cuts...

Heck, if you can buy Iphone for less than $300, why can't we have sub-$100 IP cameras that do not perform even 10% of the tasks of Iphone??? Is it may be that certain companies want to make sure that we do not have access for this type of lower cost hardware or trying to delay introduction of such solutions? You be the judge of this angle...

First off Iphones cost more then $300 and they can sell them for $300 because of the RMR generated by the contracts. Also I think they have sold more Iphones then every IP camera manufacture combined.

You are funny man... - if you have to ask, then yes, we do know about this project... which is in its "alpha" stages and god knows where it may end up...

yes i looked, saw, tried, and ran fass fass ... it has a LOOOONNNG way to go

APPLE uses ExacqVision for there NVR solution....... and they are running it on Linux boxes..... and Exacq works on MAC

Cool... One point for Exacq.. doing something that most of everyone has not even thought doing yet... I have not seen this cut on MAC, but have seen and operated Exacq software and it is a very good one for sure... but not worth the price schedule.. sorry.... as none of our customers care to get tied down on not only for the cost per IP connection, but yearly "warranty" or "maintenance" costs...

I can not justify this type of charging schedule nor it makes any sense for our customers... sorry bud..

yes i looked, saw, tried, and ran fass fass ... it has a LOOOONNNG way to go

So... you do not recommend it??

So... you do not recommend it??

i couldnt get any of my software to run on it, has lots of bugs.

I had a better time on linux and i hate that

Edited by Guest

Cool... One point for Exacq.. doing something that most of everyone has not even thought doing yet... I have not seen this cut on MAC, but have seen and operated Exacq software and it is a very good one for sure... but not worth the price schedule.. sorry.... as none of our customers care to get tied down on not only for the cost per IP connection, but yearly "warranty" or "maintenance" costs...

I can not justify this type of charging schedule nor it makes any sense for our customers... sorry bud..

ExacqVision does not have this fee structure.... please stop saying this because it is not true.

They have an OPTIONAL up grade fee.... There is a big difference

First off Iphones cost more then $300 and they can sell them for $300 because of the RMR generated by the contracts. Also I think they have sold more Iphones then every IP camera manufacture combined.

Yes, good response.. here is my come back at you... Apple sold more Iphones is because the major drop in price, combined with more user friendly features and functions at no additional cost and then then demand has gone up (hmmm, now we are talking economics)... where is the demand based on the price of IP cameras today and could you tell me what will happen if such pricing of IP cameras drops to a reasonable level - like pricing of the analog cameras for an example? Are you comparing apples to oranges here or what? If you look back how Iphone started and how crappy it worked and higher costs at the beginning, then you can appreciate its reasonable price and the functionality more today.

If you had a sub-$100 camera available, will you entertain your IP solutions that costs you more than $500 per unit? Which will be easier to introduce to your customers? How about if you were able to give them the "free" IP software application, but charge only for installation and support, will that work for you or will it hurt your business?