What to find out what is in the market that this hot or not...

Interested on IP software without any licensing need per IP camera connection... There are way too many offers out in the market, so lets see what is avail at this time and what the member think of each one.

What are the pros and the cons and why..

I don't know if any besides the software buy the manufacturer. From the software I have seen Mobotix is the only one that can incorporate 3 party cameras. So you looking for free software and/or only software with a server license key?

Yes...

I understand there are quite of many companies that live from license fee per IP camera connection, yearly maintenance fees, some charge for server software and some do not. Some have pricing start at $100K per package some start at $5K and by the time you start adding all the other costs, it pushes over $15K...

From what I see, this section of our industry is very much stagnated. Dependent who you talk to and depends what your application is, the pricing could be very discouraging factor to offer to end users.

Some that we tested are ok, but the functionality is cheesy... Better ones start in a such high cost that it is very difficult to offer to end users.

Few major recent came forward with single license for software solutions up to 64 connection... Panasonic, CBC and few other jumped ship so far. I hear that American Dynamics is about to do the same. It makes no sense to have a IP solution that caters the top 10% when they can sell more for the rest of the 90% customers.

How is Mobotix? Is there limited time software evaluation available? Does it support different manufacturers, i.e. Arecont, Hikvision and others? Is it a single license for server and if so, do they charge per IP connection and even then, how many IP cameras per software? Does it support H.264 and if so, which manufacturer cameras?

I have few fairly large projects that we need decent software, but nothing from our lineup makes any sense. Most likely we will provide the hardware alone, but thus far I have not seen anything tangible in IP software that makes any sort of sens.

Any other recommendations?

Yes...

I understand there are quite of many companies that live from license fee per IP camera connection, yearly maintenance fees, some charge for server software and some do not. Some have pricing start at $100K per package some start at $5K and by the time you start adding all the other costs, it pushes over $15K...

What software are you talking about? We sell Exacq at $150 per camera with a optional $25 yearly software upgrade fee per camera. So if you sell a 4 camera system that's $600. I don't think that is so bad.

I don't think software company's that sell free software or server only license are going to be around for long or have good support for new cameras and features.

If you find some software where that meets your needs let me know so I can test it.

Edited by Guest

How is Mobotix? Is there limited time software evaluation available? Does it support different manufacturers, i.e. Arecont, Hikvision and others? Is it a single license for server and if so, do they charge per IP connection and even then, how many IP cameras per software? Does it support H.264 and if so, which manufacturer cameras?

To be clear on the Mobotix you have to use there cameras but they do have limited support for encoders and PTZ cameras.

http://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/content/view/full/1723

I am not referring to 4 camera or 16 camera solutions. If we go by those numbers alone for lets say 64 cameras or higher, where is that leave the overall pricing?

OK, so Exacq is charging per license and if we are considering them, obviously the overall pricing comes to $9,600... is this the value that Exacq is putting on the table? From what we learned, the cost per connection with Exacq is $100 at MSRP...

To offer a streamline solution, this Exacq package will not work. Have looked at few others with similar cost per connection license fee model. It makes no sense, as these companies assume that they are yet another Microsoft.

What is this "after first year" maintenance fee? Why? Is this yet another way to guarantee reoccurring revenue for their engineering efforts? I personally think this is wrong and the ones who are charging using this method will not survive.

May be our industry is new for IP based solution, but that does not constitute for throwing something in the middle and call it norm.

There few major manufacturers started to change this concept and offering complete software for one time charge and without any license fees for each camera connection nor charging for yearly maintenance. If there is something wrong with their take, I'd like to hear about it.

We have seen many others in the market charging some ridiculous amounts and tried to persuade us that it is ok and this is how it works. However, resisting such a marketing tactic does work and I see lately this model is changing.

Would you be willing to pay for a license from Microsoft or from Adobe and others for purchasing a software and then agree to pay yearly maintenance fee? I know that I will not even consider it..

What to find out what is in the market that this hot or not...

Interested on IP software without any licensing need per IP camera connection... There are way too many offers out in the market, so lets see what is avail at this time and what the member think of each one.

What are the pros and the cons and why..

May be look at Avermidea Hybrid solution

They do support lots of IP Cams and do not charge for IP Lic

this is kind of taking it to a side but there is a good discussion of whether nvr software is moving towards 'free' these days on ipvideomarket.info. i know that is a loaded statement so best to just check out the article and responses over there.

I am not referring to 4 camera or 16 camera solutions. If we go by those numbers alone for lets say 64 cameras or higher, where is that leave the overall pricing?

OK, so Exacq is charging per license and if we are considering them, obviously the overall pricing comes to $9,600... is this the value that Exacq is putting on the table? From what we learned, the cost per connection with Exacq is $100 at MSRP...

To offer a streamline solution, this Exacq package will not work. Have looked at few others with similar cost per connection license fee model. It makes no sense, as these companies assume that they are yet another Microsoft.

What is this "after first year" maintenance fee? Why? Is this yet another way to guarantee reoccurring revenue for their engineering efforts? I personally think this is wrong and the ones who are charging using this method will not survive.

Would you be willing to pay for a license from Microsoft or from Adobe and others for purchasing a software and then agree to pay yearly maintenance fee? I know that I will not even consider it..

Exacq does not require you to pay the yearly software upgrade fee not a maintenance fee. It's up to you if you what or need the latest features.

Geez what about LuxRiot? Maybe not the best on the market but nowhere near the cost of what you all are talking about?!

The camera support is top notch too... 5K low end? Oh my heart!

And if you look really close at the camera support you will find camera's that are truely "LuxRiot Specific".

Exacq does not require you to pay the yearly software upgrade fee not a maintenance fee. It's up to you if you what or need the latest features.

My point exactly...

Why do we need to pay yearly maintenance fee to get the new features or updates? It should be a standard offer going forward and not an option to get if you are willing to pay for it.

Think about this - if Microsoft charges for each upgrade they do for any version of their operating system, will it be feasible for you to recommend Microsoft?

If I understand it correctly, then if you do not pay their yearly maintenance fee, then you can not get any changes that this software offers on their newer versions. Is this correct? If so, then their model is the same as most trying to do - open end cost center for any end user! Customer pays for the software, pays for each connection license and then pays additional yearly fee per license to be kept up to date on changes and fixes that such software undergoes... Does this make any sense to you?

I am not against making money, but I am totally against in any solution that does not clarify all the upfront and future costs and more importantly, keeps customers hostage on anything they do. What if there are problems with the software that they were not able to fix during the first year of use (not that this is not a common practice). Any software you design, it always have many hidden bugs that do not come up right away and it takes time to close such holes - and even then, while you fix these bugs, more start pupping up elsewhere - anything man made is bound to fail. If so, then why are customers to pay for such efforts after purchase of such products?

I am just voicing my opinion, which is a direct result what our customer complain all the time. Where is this end? Exacq is probably one of the best solutions out there and means nothing if the model of what they sell falls into an open end cost category. Most follow this model and most started seeing falling of sales figures and loosing customer who are not willing to pay for such costs anymore. Rather, Panasonic, CBC America, Bosch and few others started to sell ready made IP software package that does not cost more than initial sell and no yearly maintenance or upgrade fees. They include such costs for the period of three years and why can't other follow the same?

Here is an idea - Why not come up a fixed price per let say, 4-ch, 8-ch, 16-ch, etc. number of connection to such software and offer three years warranty for such product. Simple and easy solution. If customer wants 4-ch or 64-ch, then give them such package without hidden costs. If such customer is willing to pay for such solution, then they do not have to be bound by yearly additional costs.

My point exactly...

Why do we need to pay yearly maintenance fee to get the new features or updates? It should be a standard offer going forward and not an option to get if you are willing to pay for it.

Think about this - if Microsoft charges for each upgrade they do for any version of their operating system, will it be feasible for you to recommend Microsoft?

If I understand it correctly, then if you do not pay their yearly maintenance fee, then you can not get any changes that this software offers on their newer versions. Is this correct? If so, then their model is the same as most trying to do - open end cost center for any end user! Customer pays for the software, pays for each connection license and then pays additional yearly fee per license to be kept up to date on changes and fixes that such software undergoes... Does this make any sense to you?

I am not against making money, but I am totally against in any solution that does not clarify all the upfront and future costs and more importantly, keeps customers hostage on anything they do. What if there are problems with the software that they were not able to fix during the first year of use (not that this is not a common practice). Any software you design, it always have many hidden bugs that do not come up right away and it takes time to close such holes - and even then, while you fix these bugs, more start pupping up elsewhere - anything man made is bound to fail. If so, then why are customers to pay for such efforts after purchase of such products?

I am just voicing my opinion, which is a direct result what our customer complain all the time. Where is this end? Exacq is probably one of the best solutions out there and means nothing if the model of what they sell falls into an open end cost category. Most follow this model and most started seeing falling of sales figures and loosing customer who are not willing to pay for such costs anymore. Rather, Panasonic, CBC America, Bosch and few others started to sell ready made IP software package that does not cost more than initial sell and no yearly maintenance or upgrade fees. They include such costs for the period of three years and why can't other follow the same?

Here is an idea - Why not come up a fixed price per let say, 4-ch, 8-ch, 16-ch, etc. number of connection to such software and offer three years warranty for such product. Simple and easy solution. If customer wants 4-ch or 64-ch, then give them such package without hidden costs. If such customer is willing to pay for such solution, then they do not have to be bound by yearly additional costs.

This is what Avigilon does also, software comes in 1 to 24 channel package and includes server, workstation software and 1 viewing client lic. Software upgrades are free for the warranty period of 3 years. Also good that if you add analog cams via their encoder each 4 cams only takes 1 software channel (not one per cam, like other software) ie. you can add 90 odd analog cameras on a 24 channel software package, I know its not the cheapest software on the market but is enterprise class and very easy to set up and use. Support of third party IP cams, Sony, Axis, Panasonic, Arecont is due for release very soon, other IP Encders and cams will also be supported. Avigilon have joined ONVIF (Open Network Video Interface Forum) so more thirdy party IP camera support should be forth coming.

there are plenty of different business models for software but typically you have something like below (just using MS since they were brought up already).

microsoft windows way: buy windows xp which has free updates as it goes along but there is an end of life and vista will replace it. there are 2 subs to the way:

1. quality: not the cheapest but this is required because actually a good amount of money goes to R&D for new updates, versions, etc.

2. quick sale: this is the novelty company that realizes there are x amount of millions of say computers out there so charging $.99 and getting 1-3% of market share will still give them millions in profits. these guys tend to just want to make a quick dollar and move on. if things are extremely profitable they may do some updates/R&D just because it makes a great profit.

microsoft xbox live way: monthly/annual subscription based method for recurring revenue

licensing model: way many nvr are doing it.

from a business point of view the 1st way typically works better when there are many units to be sold. i.e. how many computers can run windows in the world. huge market.

2nd way is great for cheap or to keep a seemingly low cost. easier to sell someone on something that costs less than a cup of coffee a day than to say it costs hundred or thousands of dollars, etc. IMO this has been around for a long time but security monitoring contracts really brought this model to the forefront.

3rd way: tv & media have been using this forever but nvr like it because it is lucrative when trying to be scalable. a lot of the nvr software is server based meaning you probably will only need one or a few copies per project for the application unlike windows which is on every pc. many have browser based access so there is no sale for client software a lot of times. where else can you reach economies of scale then: licensing per video feed.

finally there is that 4th 'free' way as i mentioned which is really some 'free' software subsidized to sell something else (hardware like dvr or camera, ads for advertising, etc.)

here is what i see just from the software development we have been doing. the explosion of ip in hardware is leading towards video surveillance becoming a commodity rather than it's traditional higher end market (there will always be low, mid, high end but originally it is backwards when systems are new high to mid then to low). used to be only corporate could afford these types of systems, then dvr came around and small business could afford to get into it, then dvr became commodity and dvr are so cheap people buy them for their home, then ip came and the game changed again as people just needed pc (which they already have) and some cheap <$100 camera meanwhile they have most basic functions they need. now software side is getting saturated from all of these pressures. i mean the main reason MS is still a big dog is because there is not too much competition for them on the market driving everything down. the best way i can explain this is to look at what the app store did to software pricing. since everyone has to sell their products in the same space it becomes a race to the bottom in many cases. you really have to differentiate yourself from competitors in order to command a higher price because they will just put out garbage for $.99 and everyone will nibble on it because what is $.99 for them. of course once they try it they wind up buying another real software but the hook is there for the next guy. same thing for surveillance hardware and software. people will nibble on the cheap stuff. many will find it doesn't fit their requirements and move on. some will stay and so the low end of the market is served. that is until the 'new technology' cycle repeats itself and something new comes out which can drive up sale pricing for the 'latest and greatest', etc. and we go through the whole thing again.

This is what Avigilon does also, software comes in 1 to 24 channel package and includes server, workstation software and 1 viewing client lic. Software upgrades are free for the warranty period of 3 years. Also good that if you add analog cams via their encoder each 4 cams only takes 1 software channel (not one per cam, like other software) ie. you can add 90 odd analog cameras on a 24 channel software package, I know its not the cheapest software on the market but is enterprise class and very easy to set up and use. Support of third party IP cams, Sony, Axis, Panasonic, Arecont is due for release very soon, other IP Encders and cams will also be supported. Avigilon have joined ONVIF (Open Network Video Interface Forum) so more thirdy party IP camera support should be forth coming.

Do not know anything about Avigilon. This is why I started this thread. What makes this software rock? What are the price points? Do they just sell the software or it must come with its own hardware? Which manufacturer IP cameras it already adhere to as of now? Is there demo available for download? These among questions that I have at this time.

I never ask for anything cheap, rather focus on what is reasonable for paying for any product. There are few packages from majors that start at $25K and push over $200K in a project, but does not mean it is good and works like a charm. Like any software in the market, they all have problems and issues that come up.

Here is yet another major issue for such companies - Certification and more certification for a fee. I have seen companies asking over $1K range to "teach" how their product works before they can sell it. Of course, none of such requests were or will even be met. Why pay for "learning" a software before anything happens? I may agree and I mean major "MAY" that some end user should attend such training courses, but that is the job of the reseller - dependent how someone may structure the deal, they may charge or most of the time, include the training and the support associated with selling the package.

I fully agree that IP based solution are here to stay - no question there. But, if we do not retaliate against any manufacturer that wants to re-invent the wheel, then we all are in deeper hole. What it really takes is showing refusal to pay for this "license fee" based solutions. Over short period of time, such manufacturers will realize that they are not performing to the "industry standards" in pricing or model of pricing. If we do not complaint nor do anything about it, then nothing will change. Panasonic, CBC, Bosch and even GE recently introduced IP based software solutions that are not based on "cost per license" fee model. I wander why? Is it because they came to their senses and realized much bigger picture?

Sometimes a simple common sense is more important than all the marketing hoopla and a major marketing vacuum existing for this type of solutions and all this is a creation of few companies in the loop. If you want to believe them, then that is fine and you can spend whatever they ask. If you do not like myself, then find other companies that are not using that model.

IP camera pricing has dropped substantially in the recent year, however the pricing for the software has gone up exponentially. May be it is time for these software only companies to get off their high horse and play by the industry standard rules...

Twilo123, how do you suggest the industry should behave? Excellent points across the board, but nothing to suggest what we should do as part of the industry.

Now, we have a choice to sit back and do nothing and wait what all these companies may decide what is best or refusal to adapt to their will.

Case and point since you brought up Microsoft... what exactly happened when they introduced Vista? Major problems and overall market reaction against it. Why change XP when it worked (and still does) well and try to replace with something less and for an upgrade price? Microsoft has to come up with a new OS every three to five years to keep charging more and more and call it a "new operating system". But public's refusal forced them not only to focus on Windows7 OS, but also extend the support for XP and even for Win2000..

What is the difference here? Adaptation on what is here does not constitute a good business. Rather recognize where the problems are and address properly and refuse to follow the pack - thus force certain companies to change their business tactics... It has happened too many times in our industry and should continue as such without giving them an inch.

Pricing models are common for all manufacturers and each has their own perception what they can charge and get away with it. As an example and in case of Bosch, then call it "premium" company, thus they charge one of the highest pricing the market. What makes their pricing justified is not that their products are designed better than most (in case of the most recent IP solutions, they are using Arecont products), it is the customer and technical support mechanism. They have an excellent warranty period and replacement of product is second to none...

Just mind you that Exacq support is terrible. They just dont reply or reply to emails they want. Its been 48hrs I sent my email, no reply. Tried calling UK phone number all day today, nobody there, just voicemail.

Unbelievable

Robert, is this new or is common from them?

I downloaded their software yesterday and started to test with one license and looks decent thus far... Did not have a chance to conclude the test, but we will see. Regardless how great the software may function, the issue will still remain on the pricing model - no can do if they charge per license per connection and then yearly "upgrade" or "maintenance" fees.

As I stated before, the pricing model is where I and many of my customers have. Open ended costs center - something is what many such software manufacturers want and there is a serious resistance is being built against them right now.

Unless these software manufacturers start to sell hardware as a compliment of their offerings, I personally think it is matter of time that either they get bought out (possibility) or fold and disappear.. This is a new trend that they feed from until the entire industry stops them on their tracks...

If such companies are open minded and want to stay in business, they should follow what major manufacturers do - start offering ready made complete package covering from 4-channels to maximum they can support. I think they are going against this huge tide that will destroy their pricing model shortly and leave them stranded. Most of these companies marketing does not see this yet, but by the time their realize the facts, it will be too late.

I spoke with at least four of such companies recently (even one yesterday) and they started to look at this price models... There is no point to push something that there is a major resistance, thus they have to decide either to stay in the business and compete or fold and leave the industry.

There is this IP camera software that was developed by Linux community and it is available free for anyone who needs it. It is very simple and yet powerful platform. We are looking at it and testing right now. The great part about this is not that it is "free", rather give all the code to manage and change as needed, as long as you can share such change. It is very promising, as long as someone has the engineering background and is willing to tackle code to make changes as necessary. What if such software becomes a norm of industry - supported by the community for the community and this way you literally give such for free and make money on selling hardware alone. Not a bad idea, but we will see how this software will work...

Robert, is this new or is common from them?

All the time. They have few problems:

1. They dont reply

2. They reply after you emailed them 3 times the same email.

3. You ask them 3 questions, they reply to just one pretending you never asked another two.

I cant call it a tech support, no way. Just surprising how bad some companies can be.

Just mind you that Exacq support is terrible. They just dont reply or reply to emails they want. Its been 48hrs I sent my email, no reply. Tried calling UK phone number all day today, nobody there, just voicemail.

Unbelievable

every time I call them I get them on the phone and they answer every question I have. I also the 2 guys I email get back to me right away. Where are you located?

Unbelievable

every time I call them I get them on the phone and they answer every question I have. I also the 2 guys I email get back to me right away. Where are you located?

I tried calling UK number all day, nobody picks up, on voicemail. Cant call US number as they all are in bed when I am having just breakfast.

Can you PM their emails? Next time I will email 5 times to all three emails, so I can get quick answer and not to toss around my customer.

Mi iz lokeited in Baltic states

I have no problem with Exacq's pricing and I think it is fair. What I have a problem with is the company's that charge a server license, client license, and per camera fee.

The prices will come down when the ONVIF vs PSIA battle is over. Because right now every time a new camera comes out or firmware update is released the NVR software has to come out with a patch to support the new/updated cameras. It's not like there making Tonka Trucks, there programmers constantly have to be updating code. How are they going to pay there programmer without some form a recurring revenue.

I guess they could come up with 4 camera packages but they are going to build that into the price anyway. So I would rather have the option like you do with Exacq.

Example 4 camera system 5 year if updates

Exacq pricing 150$ x 4 =$600 + $400(optional updates) = $1000 for 4 cameras

or they could just charge $250 per license.

Also who is going to come onsite and configure the updates? Should that be free to? The only time you need updates is if you are adding new cameras or you would want new features. So if I buy a car and I want to make it faster should the dealer give me free parts? No

Edited by Guest

What I have a problem with is the company's that charge a server license, client license, and per camera fee.

Agree with that. For example Milestone. Completely ****. Server, camera, updates - all charged separately.

Server should be free, all you should buy - license PER camera, one ip address, one license. Updates should be free for life.

The prices will come down when the ONVIF vs PSIA battle is over. Because right now every time a new camera comes out or firmware update is released the NVR software has to come out with a patch to support the new/updated cameras. It's not like there making Tonka Trucks, there programmers constantly have to be updating code. How are they going to pay there programmer without some form a recurring revenue.

OK, this is not a new info... and chances are that newer products or even newer technology based cameras coming to the market constantly will force everyone to adhere... and it will be a software function.. Why not reverse the process? Lets force the manufacturers of the newer products to adhere to a known platform that they must comply... Which posses yet another question - THERE IS NO KNOWN OR ACCEPTABLE PLATFORM THAT EVERYONE HAS AGREED OR WANTS TO AGREE!. If some of the industry leaders smarten up one of these days and come up with basic rules of conduct on platform, that will solve this issue once and for all! What could be their justified reason for not doing this? Guess what, they did not do it before and will not do it now... Case and point - different PTZ protocols from various manufacturers and no clear winner that could state that there is one protocol across the board.

I guess they could come up with 4 camera packages but they are going to build that into the price anyway. So I would rather have the option like you do with Exacq.

Example 4 camera system 5 year if updates

Exacq pricing 150$ x 4 =$600 + $400(optional updates) = $1000 for 4 cameras

or they could just charge $250 per license.

Lets address this above scenario and not that it is a good one anyway. Exacq is asking to have someone to spend $1,000 just on the software side without any consideration for the cameras cost, the cost of the server and the storage... Where is the benefit for anyone with simple common sense to even consider this option? Do you think really that this price range should be acceptable for ordinary Joe or this is a pricing for mid-range or high-end customers? Do the math and tell me if this makes any sense... I do not think so. Basic cost structure for this package forces someone to consider complete package cost for more than $2,000... compared to most cases such package cost using analog solution is less than $1,000... Where is the benefit to consider this software or any other out there that are using this type of cost structure? Where are the benefits if someone please can explain?

Also who is going to come onsite and configure the updates? Should that be free to? The only time you need updates is if you are adding new cameras or you would want new features. So if I buy a car and I want to make it faster should the dealer give me free parts? No

This is even more interesting now... Are you suggesting that to use Exacq software, there are "installation" and "upgrade" costs and that the end user now have to pay for these services? You and other know this product inside and out, thus give you an opportunity to sell it, plus installation costs, plus IP cameras costs, server and storage hardware, etc... Exactly what will it cost to have cheapest four IP cameras package price to include all these products and services? Over $2,000? over $3,000 or more?

The point of the argument here is not that someone can not make money, rather what is a reasonable to spend for IP based solution that uses per camera license cost. This existing options are not really options, rather open ended cost centers for anyone who does not understand it or does not care for what they spend.

Here is an idea that I have been kicking around for a while now... Why not come up a solution that is available for everyone at no cost to download and use... If someone wants a documentation or the software, then they can buy that as needed basis (this will cover the cost of the engineering or the support). Such platform could be available for the community to use or to change as they see fit at their own risk, unless a company can be put in place to provide the service.. And not to charge for such software, rather charge for support or the documentation or even sending them the software physically. Now, if such option is available, then it is a platform that could take over the entire industry...

Case and point - Linux platform initially was for experts... until it started being supported by much larger community. Linux software is free and anyone can download the copy and use without any restrictions.. As matter of fact, you can make changes or additions as you see fit as long as you can share such information with the community. This model not only works, but actually made major headways in the recent decade...

Who made money using Linux platform, if nobody can sell the software? Lets take a look for few companies such as Red Hat, Suse and few others, which they came up "their" version of distros... even thought the core is the same Linux... Do you think they are selling Linux or selling paper, CD and support? My last count was that Red Hat was worth over a billion dollar following a simple rule... do not charge for the software, rather for the support the paper or the deliver of the physical software...

Now, why can't our industry do the same??? What if there already is a distribution that pre-existing except is not that known or supported yet. What if such distribution really becomes a platform that will allow anyone with engineering background to intervene and make changes as they need and then share such info with the community? This software is and will be available for free for anyone to use (similar to Linux) and the only way to make money for anyone would be to sell the support, the documentation or the physical software... or sell them the computer hardware, the storage or the cameras.

Is this above explanation is something that this industry needs or could use? I explored this option with quite of few end users and the response has been extremely positive. The only ones that were against such an ideas were the manufacturers of software only... Hardware manufacturers shown an interest, as it will make their job even easier to product products that will work with a known platform...

Any comments are welcome.. and I am very interested on what the members of this forum think about it.

Any comments are welcome.. and I am very interested on what the members of this forum think about it. [/color][/b]

Personally I think software should be free or at least bundled with the hardware. This nickle and dime crap need to end. An end user doesn't care what all the incidentals are, they care about the bottom line. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit with annual maintenance fees for software.