I install security systems (card access, cctv, blah) for a company for over two years now, so I am an 'infant' in this field. However, I have been in the computer industry for years-so it seemed like a natural progression. I have been involved with sites that the profit was in the millions (and we are a small company) with warranties (contracts) that are 5 years. Fiber, microwave, doplers, some really cool stuff, from Correctional Facilities to Electrical Plants to deep in the woods to protect high power lines with all kinds of neat stuff.

Sleeping yet? I would like to (and will) break out on my own. I am looking to install cctv systems in everyday, middle class homes. I have 2 jobs lined up now. It is going to be in big demand here (Long Island, NY and surrounding.

Here is the dilemma:

How am I supposed to install security systems (cctv) with the prices that dealers charge? I mean, I got quotes from dealers that are 25 bucks under what ‘street value’ is. Why would I buy from you? These people aren’t going to pay $1500, 2000, 4000, or 5000 “clamsâ€

bottom line is you need to sell better over the others. Salesmanship is more than half the battle out there. And, you need to go after more than just the home owners as I don't think you will have a deep enough client base to keep on going smooth. You need to find a better product, DVR and camera package, and sell that. If you can't compete, go with a better (features) system and sell it as a better system. Promise and deliver the extra mile.

I checked on my local competition. I went and looked at how they installed it. I asked how the customer liked it. I then attempted to deliver that and more. I was surprised at how sloppy most installers and Companies were and even more surprised at what the customer is willing to accept.

True story; salesman gave the pitch to the boss. boss goes out of town for a week and comes back to a installed system. no contract, no money down, and the company who installed it wants thier money. boss pays the bill. the "box" was laid on the floor next to the boss's desk, old 14" quad monitor ontop of that, knobs were already getting kicked off on the first day, wires running everywhere. And to make matters worse, they talked him into adding all sorts of outside lighting BECAUSE the IR camera's they installed sucked. Now, he is paying for lighting his parking lot for cheap camera's. And, the story goes on and on. I was amazed at the shear "balls" this large company had when they did this to their customer. turns out I am now their only competition in town!

Another angle is to charge by the month. Think about it. Add up all the costs of the equipment and install, divide it by 36 months, and then do the install for that monthly price. Ask for a simple 500.00 down payment? As long as you contract it you own the equipment. Yes it will put your wallet out there but after a certain point you will start to put money back in your pocket. And more importantly, you will develope a client base line, and that client baseline has friends, ect.

And, here is another angle. provide a "loaner" install. 4 camera's. 15 days. after that, go ask if they want to buy it or not. 30 days? find the angle!!!! get in the door. pick the big fish, not the minnows. beat the competition with classy risks. lets face it. the ford dealer is not going to steal your system if they like it.

What I am saying is find out what your competition is doing and then do that better, reguardless of price. And I can tell you this, the first one in the door is usually the first one paid. You need to work it baby!!! The more you fail the better you'll get at beating them and soon enough you'll have your angle and groove. Get out there and talk the talk.

You are at an advantage; you know the biz and the competition. The angle is there, just find it.

Good stuff, VST_Man. These are the principles (and a good amount of luck) on which successful businesses are built.

wont work down here, cant sure anyone if they dont pay you for the gear ..costs double to bring the gear here ..

DataAve, you want to buy from a distributor, not a dealer, or direct from the manufacturer whenever you can.

You are in Long island NY, look at Provideo, they are in Amittyville I think, go direct. There are others up there also on Long Island. Mid range products, that last.

They dont make anything. They have the best Bullet cameras in the industry though.

Name a better bullet camera - their HEAT range. There is none, besides Extreme CCTVs. They also have some of the best tech support in the industry.

Did a state of the art High School. Provideo cams. Almost every camera waved out (picture wave). Some cams even blanked out-all 74 of them. They blamed everything but the cameras. It was the cams. Engineering marvel. I can only go by my experience.

Which ones, they have a couple different levels of cameras. The $70-100 ones are crap just like any other OEM brand you buy anywhere else. The Heat cameras are great, the CVC-325s have lasted me over 4 years not one issue, they cost $140 though ..

Trust me, Ive tried the $50 ones from other companies, still do, and bullets in the $100+ range, where Provideo's Bullets have been the best. All bullet cameras cant take much power problems, you can burn them easy. Not every product that everyone sells, is great, thats why I dont buy from one brand only, i pick the best of the best. I wouldnt touch Provideo's Domes or DVRs for example, exept 1 dome in particular, the most expensive one, which is as good/better than the GEs at a lower price (like $50 cheaper).

I wouldnt use bullet cameras in any high end job though, There are other products you could use that will perform better.

Why use a bullet camera? Discreet and cheap - thats the only time you want to use them. Only use a Dome when they want discreet and Vandal Resistant. Otherwise use Full Pro cameras for best picture, features, and stability.

Rory

Man, forget provideo, buy from me, I'm in CT, send me an e-mail and I'll set you up with price list and options.

"Here is the dilemma:

How am I supposed to install security systems (cctv) with the prices that dealers charge? I mean, I got quotes from dealers that are 25 bucks under what ‘street value’ is. Why would I buy from you? These people aren’t going to pay $1500, 2000, 4000, or 5000 “clamsâ€

If you can figure out a way to install high end stuff and basically give it away to residential consumers, I'd love to hear it. Maybe you can work out a deal with ADT! You've got to sell and market. Period. It would be easy if you could install a $500 camera and $1500 DVR for $300, you just might not be in business very long.

The average high-end residential client who wants CCTV at their residence isn't going to be in the market for $500 cams and $1500 DVRs.

Geez, thats the cost of the low end one it gets here ...

Whenever I build my BUBBADVR T1000 line, I sell at the best prices anywhere.

So does Sams Club, etc ..

I got one too, but I cant sell to the US right now ..

Rory