jjjjjjj

Can someone recommend a compression crimper?

Despite the extra cost, I feel it will be better in my opinion to use a compression crimper/connectors (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

Also, what are your thoughts on those automatic wire strippers?

Thank you.

There is nothing wrong with a Twist on Connector for most jobs, once you can do it properly.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go ahead and get a ratchet style crimper instead of the budget version. Maybe next x-mas... No preference on which maker, though.

As far as wire strippers go, I don't personally like the automatic ones... and usually just use the regular kind, or my pocket knife.

It's personal preferrence. Do what you like. As long as it works well, it ain't wrong.

Twist on, that is an insult. NEVER, never use twist-ons on a professional install - you are looking for unnecessary problems. Get yourself a nice set of "Harris" Crimpers, best in the biz. Automatic wire strippers (to me-and I have 3 brands) are useless also. Get yourself a good pair of Klein wire strippers (small red and/or yellow).

If you know how to put on Twist ons properly, they will stay on as tight as any Crimped on Connector. This is FACT.

I've played with one to see how I liked it and I didn't rush out to get one.. if that tells you anything.

It's not bad, but it ain't exactly the Cat's Pajamas, either, IMNSHO.

- it works somehow in generating current which makes me nervous about board circuits.

- it doesn't actually get cool enough to touch instantly... so no throwing it in your pocket the instant you are done with it.

- I didn't care for any of the tips, personally. I thought they were a little big.

I'm sticking with my butane for now, but if you've got the dough then I could see how the Cold Heat unit could be a nice tool for the kit for what I call "odds and ends" type jobs.

It was a neat little unit, and I'll probably pick one up one day just to have around. But there are alot of tools ahead of it on my "get ASAP" list.

My two centivos .. YMMV

On that Cold Heat unit. We have one tech that loves it and one tech that hates it. Keep in mind the tech who hated it was using the wrong solder. The trick is to use the thinner solder.

Yep, ideal makes a nice one too. Blue handle and changable dies. I have one Harris and one Ideal, so I don't have to keep changing dies-like #10's or #2's BNCs.

Rory,

I used to agree with you. I used to do demo's at trade shows on how to properly put on a twist-on connector and challenged everyone to pull it off. No one ever did

....But, I hired a couple of new tech's who refused to use them. They said twist-ons were for amateurs. I bought a good crimper set, reluctantly.

Over the next couple of weeks, I went on two service calls where the twist-on's were the problem. The first, the center conducter didn't make it into the center fingers, but bent into a "Z". The other the fingers gripped the conductor so tightly that it actually twisted it and broke it. In both cases, we had a good connection when installed but over time the breaks became apparent when we lost video.

I only use twist-on's in emergencies or temporary situations. I've used three piece crimps since but I have to admit the new compression type are looking real good.

Howard Kohnstamm

http://www.videoguardit.com/cctv_essentials.html

Its funny, since alot of amateurs are using Crimp Ons ..

Perhaps they didnt want to use them BECAUSE they didnt know how to put them on properly.

It doesnt matter which one you use, once you know how to put it on correctly, dont use cheap ones, and use good wire that wont break easily.

4 years now none of "my" BNCs have caused any issues.

I recommend Paladin tools crimper and stripper. You match your stripper to the connector you are using. Paladin tech support will help you matching up. Their 3-stage stripper costs less than $20, and does a great job. I now use 3 piece Amphenol connectors. Since you are directly crimping the tip on the center conductor there is no doubt you will have a good connection, even over temperature changes. I tried Liberty Wire & Cable's connector system (they make a special 2 stage radial crimp) and they SUCK, avoid them.

One of the challenges with connectors is the variation of cable types from manufacturer to manufacturer. The PVC jacket, and inner core, and center conductor can vary several 'thou in diameter. The three stage system ensures a permanent connection. Twist ons and 2 piece crimps rely on a spring action to grab the center conductor. Overtime corrosion and movement from temp change can degrade the picture. Show me a job with bad connectors and i'll show you a job with lines in the pictures.

I recommend Paladin tools crimper and stripper. You match your stripper to the connector you are using. Paladin tech support will help you matching up. Their 3-stage stripper costs less than $20, and does a great job. I now use 3 piece Amphenol connectors. Since you are directly crimping the tip on the center conductor there is no doubt you will have a good connection, even over temperature changes. I tried Liberty Wire & Cable's connector system (they make a special 2 stage radial crimp) and they SUCK, avoid them.

One of the challenges with connectors is the variation of cable types from manufacturer to manufacturer. The PVC jacket, and inner core, and center conductor can vary several 'thou in diameter. The three stage system ensures a permanent connection. Twist ons and 2 piece crimps rely on a spring action to grab the center conductor. Overtime corrosion and movement from temp change can degrade the picture. Show me a job with bad connectors and i'll show you a job with lines in the pictures.

Do you have a link ..?

thanks

Rory

They also have a cross reference page where you can reference the connector to the right tool. If you call Paladin tech support they will walk you through it. I ordered the tool and connectors from Newark in One online. I got 200 Amphenol connectors for $1.00 each, plus they stock Paladin tools.

http://www.newarkinone.com/

Snap-N-Seal fittings are pretty neat...

In another life I was a cable modem installer and we always used snap-n-seal. Digicon snapnseal fittings are the shiznit, I have had the least problem with those. They can be expensive, but service calls cost more. The crimpers we bought for our install/service techs were these...

http://www.mccartenco.com/products/wandc/index-1862_1704.html

The fittings we get are Digicon BNC connectors we just order them from one of our local electrical supply stores.

Here is a pdf that shows what the connectors look like about 3/4 of the way down the first page.

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/DigCntrs_Generic_T.pdf

These are the best fittings we have come across so far, better than any twist on, or crimp. True compression is the way to go...

Those Digicon are like the Liberty Wire & Cable Coax Master.

https://secure.libertycable.com/ecomm/catalog/cat_page.php?group=77

I don't mean to offend but they SUCK!

There is no way to ensure the center conductor goes into the tip. So if it misses, it just curls up inside. I've sectioned a number of failed connectors , took pictures and emailed to Liberty tech support. They had no anwser. These type of connectors are very sensitive to cable manufacturer. Variations in jacket thickness will cause failure. However I even ordered a pallet of Liberty's RG-59 cable since the connectors are designed for it, but the connector system still sucks.

I have a Coax master tool and stripper, and couple bags of connectors I will sell for cheap if you are foolish enough to try.

Three piece crimp is the best.