Looking for a way to adjust and focus IP Camera while on a ladder or a lift. Sorta like the spot monitors for standard bnc analog cameras.

Get a small laptop or netbook. Plug directly into the camera with a crossover cable. Or plug a wireless router into the switch that the camera runs back to, and connect your laptop/netbook wirelessly. Or use cameras that have analog outputs for this purpose specifically (like most of IQEye's cameras).

My coworker uses his Archos 5 on a wrist strap for both analog cameras (via the "DVR dock" adapter), and IP cameras via WiFi. Very handy.

I will have to ask..... I normally setup a wireless access point and use my small laptop or soon a Ipad or new cell phone HTC EVO.

Also Veracity introduced the Pointsource at ISC. It is a battery powered POE injector so you can setup cameras without local power.

It is not one their website yet.

This is my setup tool, Samsung Q1 123377_1.jpg and the Nitek IPT148 ipt148_ind.gif

...Running XP and Explorer, so all the STUPID plugins work...Sorry was I shouting ? Manufacturers need to get away from those plugins........

This is my setup tool, Samsung Q1 123377_1.jpg and the Nitek IPT148 ipt148_ind.gif

...Running XP and Explorer, so all the STUPID plugins work...Sorry was I shouting ? Manufacturers need to get away from those plugins........

I want one so bad

^^Saw a guy using one of those in a coffee shop the other day, that's a sick little toy! Although my new Asus netbook is pretty handy, too

^^Saw a guy using one of those in a coffee shop the other day, that's a sick little toy! Although my new Asus netbook is pretty handy, too

Yea I have a friend that has one and they come in very hand for what we do.... They are all over ebay.

Got the Q1 used for $500, not too bad for what it does, still a little hard to see in the sun.

Loads XP faster than a full size Sony laptop I have does with Vista (yeah, I know, that's not saying much)

Still occasionally have to throw a jacket over my head like those photographers from the 1920's.....

That's one nice thing with my new ASUS netbook, the LED-backlit screen is insanely bright - it's even readable in direct sunlight.

That's one nice thing with my new ASUS netbook, the LED-backlit screen is insanely bright - it's even readable in direct sunlight.

Asus S101 little luxury baby?

New Sanyo VCC range cameras have spot monitor called "Spot monitor" output on actual camera. Cable has specific connector on one end and BNC on another. Supplied in box with camera.

Im shocked.

No one mentioned using RTSP with VLC media player?

Sure the laptops are cool, but if you dont already have one, its extra $.

1. Tell us the IP camera - so I can tell you the address to the stream.

Im shocked.

Uhhh... so what are you going to run VLC on that you can carry up a ladder??

Im shocked.

1. Tell us the IP camera - so I can tell you the address to the stream.

Netbooks are cheap. If you install 800$ cameras, then 250$ netbook price tag shouldnt be problem for you

Im shocked.

Uhhh... so what are you going to run VLC on that you can carry up a ladder??

I got a acer netbook (cheap $275.00)and have been using that for the past couple of days to focus and adjust ip cameras. Works great but still to alittle big and awkword to use when climbing a later. I think the axis spot monitor looks to be the one to get. Thanks for the post. I put my request in for one. Will see if management thinks were worth it.

The question is still whether it will work with anything besides Axis cameras?

I want to rig my netbook up with a neck strap, like I had for my DVD player I used to use (before it died).

Really, the Archos or a similar device is a great way to go - the Archos, at least, has a wrist strap so it just sits on your arm like a (really big) watch.

The question is still whether it will work with anything besides Axis cameras?

I ask this question Axis rep at ISC

answer was "no" it works only with Axis cameras

kinda make sense

why support other companies IP cameras

but who knows

I don't believe every salesman I talk to

Has anyone been able to use one of these to connect to an Onvif camera using the latest firmware?

I have tried using it to connect with a VideoSphere and Bosch IP cameras, but have not had any success...

all the samsung ip cams have a analog vid post under the dome cover or in back of the cover for the bullets...or the 3mp ones have zoom and focus on the web interface, ....do it from your lazy boy if you want

I have the veracity battery and the pinpoint device that lets you use your laptop the pin point lets you plug in a POE device and view the camera for focus. We usually have the POE switch installed before we do the final setup we use the pinpoint more often than the battery.