simyf

tools or software to PC Keyboard

Dear All,

Is there a tools or software that can lock the PC keyboard so the user won't be able to press the Windows key. The reason why I'm asking this is because eventhough the CCTV software have the security features that required authentication to do some thing on the CCTV software but user still can press the "windows" key at PC keyboard and run other program. Please advice. Thanks.

Someone here once mentioned using a wireless keyboard. When not in use you can lock it up somewhere.

Sounded like a good idea to me.

The GeoVision sytem has the Key Lock Utility, which works very well.

It completely locks out all Windows Functions, unless added by the Supervisor

Or you can do it via the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoWinKeys"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

Standard warning, playing in the registry is dangerous. If you don't know what it does, or what a key vaule means, do not touch it.

Edit:

Rory users are better off going this route to stop it. His method alters the scancode. Any further changes (locking out caps lock, alt-ctr-del ) would require a new scan code. Also, changing the keyboard to dovak would overwrite his method.

Why don't just unplugg the damm thing?

Take it with you, and put a metal cap over the port.

Sounds much better than all that other stuff.

I would use a USB keboard that way you can just take it off...

Just make sure you disable the keyboard error from stopping the computer at bootup in the bios.

I had a customer with a similar problem (dvr was unsecured with kids running around) and that is what we did on the dvr, just removed the USB keyboard and put it in a locking file cabinet.

At a credit union, we put the whole computer case in a locking cabinet with the keyboard and just left the monitor and mouse out. I have seen cabinets with power supplies and fans for a few hundred dollars. This way is expensive but it works if you have to leave everything plugged in and just want to give access to a select few people. Besides, sometimes spending a little more upfront to do it right can save on service calls and headaches.

Is there a way to disable Ctrl-Esc, Alt-Esc & Alt-Tab key as well. Please advice. Thanks.

Dear sir, appreciate you can share with me how to disable it. Thanks ind advance.

The registry key I posted. If you aren't familuar with the registry, then you may want to try Tweak UI from MS.

Dear Thomas,

I manage to disable the Windows key by following your instruction. Thanks. Now I need to disable Alt+Esc, Alt+Tab & Ctrl+Esc key. Appreciate you can share with me. Thanks

I manage to get an disablelowlevelkey.exe file written in Visual Basic to disable the Alt-ESC, Ctrl-ESC & Alt-Tab key. However, not sure how to enable the exe file to run automatically. Please advise......

also, take a look at gpedit.msc, XP Pro

.............group permissions, i believe you can do that and more. beware, it is not for the novice!

In fact the disablelowlevelkey.exe that written in visual basic is good enough for me as it fulfill my requirement that don't allow user to press Win Key or Alt-Esc, Ctrl-Esc and Alt-tab. The problems is I don't know how to activate this exe file autoamatically as after double click the exe file, i still need to tick the check box of disabling Alt-Esc, Ctrl-Esc and Alt-tab.... Need some expert here to advise to over come this problems... thanks in advance.. [/img]

i wrote a version of that which starts on windows start up ... password enabled etc .. i think i used the same code ... anyway just reloaded windows when i load VB back on here i will take a look at it and compile it for installation.

Rory

DARN lost my code, just got the app but im getting a run time error .. will have to rewrite it .. may add some of this into it also ..check this one out as well .. basically the one i customised was the one you have, but I added passwords to it, as well as run on start up ..

http://www.codeproject.com/win32/AntonioWinLock.asp