C7 in CA

4 DVR project design

I've been pricing the VideoComm wireless video transmitters and they seem pricey for what they do. So I wanted to run this past some of you for suggestions and ideas.

We are trying to put cameras in an apartment complex to keep an eye on 4 laundry rooms. 1 or 2 cameras each.

Anyway... Can't install cables to the office without digging up asphalt driveways. Real time remote viewing is what he wants, So I was thinking of installing lower end 4 channel DVR's w/networking in each laundry room and feeding those into wireless bridges back to the office. I have a few "SmartBridges" point to multipoint networks out there and am confidant I can get the link working. It's networking the DVR's I have questions about.

What are my options for multiple DVR's on a single network? If I can get this scenario to work then it will be cheaper then the VideoComm equipment; yet way more flexible. They are using a DSL right now and I doubt they have static IPs. But I have already mentioned possibly needing to upgrade to static. I can get a plan with 4 or 8 IPs if needed. But I think if we went with multiple IP's I would need multiple Access Point's at the head end?... I don't want that. Or an expensive router? I was hoping for 1 AP and 3 Bridges. The 4th laundry room in right in the same building with the office (and DSL) so no wireless needed there.

So how would you network all those DVR's?

Any design or equipment ideas?

What is your budget for this project?

You could build a wideband VLAN if the budget permits, it is also utilizes encryption (not bandwidth degrading WEP either). Slightly more expensive than the Videocomm stuff, but much more professional grade and allows for more camera deployments throughout the complex at a later time thus resulting in more business for you.

scottj

only thing to remember is the Video Comm stuff is real time high res video, while the networked wireless is going to be compressed video.

I would use the Motorola Canopy system. it may costs a few bucks, but allows for a great wirless system, especially when you use good pTZ cameras and need the controls

I would use the Motorola Canopy system.

I've heard good things about Canopy. I should mention this is not a large apartment complex. The 3 remote laundry rooms are within 60 feet of each other. They have a 400 foot radio line-of-site shot to the AP that would be mounted on the office. So I don't know that the complex would really benefit with a canopy system . But better encryption would be nice... I mentioned SmartBridges because they are affordable for the QOS they provide.

No budget yet. It's a Request For Proposal right now. I need to come up with the best solution for what he want's to accomplish. --Monitor the Laundry rooms. If he can't afford my proposal I guess he'll have to build in phases.

So, hardware aside, is it a viable design for what I'm trying to do? Or is there a better solution?

only thing to remember is the Video Comm stuff is real time high res video, while the networked wireless is going to be compressed video.

Good point. But since he is going to view over the network anyway does it make much difference where it's compressed?

Do you think the Video Comm stuff is the better way to go? Am I asking for trouble with all those DVR's?

Dont know much about the wireless camera part but if using geovision cards it would be very easy to add 4 with the same ip and use no-ip to make all of them act like static ips. Just setup a drug rehab with 4 different dvrs on one dynamic ip. No-ip is kewl and free

Just setup a drug rehab with 4 different dvrs on one dynamic ip. No-ip is kewl and free

Cool. But I think 4 geo's would bust the budget. Do you know of any "affordable" 4 ch. stand alones that support No-ip and would work well in this scenario? This client isn't a big computer type guy. He just wants to see what's going on. So I don't want to overbuild.

My guess is he will get a kick out of being able to see what's going on. But if there is ever a need to retrieve something he will probably call me to do it.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/uploads/tm4cd.pdf

as far as the specs on this one goes it supports DDNS. You would use a router like a linksys and sign up for DynDns.org. The part that makes the difference is in the remote software, whether you can enter a name like myname.gotdns.com .. instead of just an IP.

Check with FredB as he has been installing these in Cali ... same product under a different name i think .. They are affordable and can use a regular LCD also like a $150 wallmart 15" LCD.

I havent tried it yet, but plan to shortly.

It doesnt do multi site though, but the GE kalatel DVRs do. They are more expensive though, but as far as I know you can do the same with the DDNS service.

Rory

That looks like a good one Rory. I wonder if anyone has pushed that upper operating temperature maximum? (95) I am not sure how hot it gets in the utility room built off of the laundry rooms. He'll just have to keep it cool enough...

dont know about that one, but for sure i have had the GE Kalatels in closets and even one attic type area for 3+ years with no AC and they are still going ...

GE StoreSafe:

Environmental

Operating temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)

Relative humidity: 90%, noncondensing

Absolutely love that DVR. Putting in another one tomorrow.

Heat resistent? Who knows. Put in a DVR look box with a couple of big fans. Probably a good idea anyway if the owner has some funky emplyees.

You'll get a lockbox for under $100 so...

http://www.gailro.com/lexioncctv_com/product/content.asp?name=products&category=stand&number=32

Bought a louroe kit to see how good the audio transmission is. Will hook it up next week when i have more time.

Rory,

Spoke to them about the 8 and the 16. Seems like August/September. Bummy

Can't seem to find a good 8 channel for a good price

PS. They have their own Dynamic DNS Server so you don't need an account with no-ip.com etc. Works alot better. The DVR will send the IP info to there server every 10 minutes regardless if the IP changes or not. Tried doing it a few times with dyndns.org for systems, and it does not work that great in my opinion. The update client in the routers do not always catch the IP change. Is suppose to work alot better with a PC DVR where you can load the upload client directly on the DVR.