WildCard

How much bandwidth is needed to remote view Geovision system

Is there a chart or formula that approximates what you need for certain frame rates remotely?

Example, how much upload would you need to get 7.5, 15, & 30 fps per camera for cards with 4,8, or 16 cams live.

I assume that different dvr cards have different needs. Although I would love to know the info for different cards, I am particularly interested in Geovision setups.

Thanks!

-WC-

Wildcard,

Making this chart is difficult, because each type and brand of camera may utilize a different KB/s rate in which to achieve a "clear" picture. It also is going to depend primarily on how much movement is within the camera viewing region, thus the more movement, the more KB/s required for that camera channel to process clean video.

One thing to note with the Geo software, is that they do not dynamically manage bandwidth (throttle) for each camera channel when broadcasting remotely over TCP/IP. One thing we used to notice with using the WebCam feature is that it would "freeze/lockup" when trying to stream 16 channels over WAN (DSL) with the bandwidth control functions disabled. Without creating a setting of maximum bandwidth you wish to use, the system is going to just try and send all video at 25-30 FPS, even if the bandwidth is 256K up speed. This resulted in the "freezing" issue. Once we made setting changes the problem was eliminated.

scottj

I figured it wouldn't be cut and dry... Crud.

What setting changes did you make in the Geovision software to prevent the freezing?

My situation is that an install I recently did is a 8 cam geovision, and they only have 128k upload available. I am working on getting more bandwidth setup, but in the mean time I am only able to pull up 4 cams at around 1fps each.

So if there is a way to optimize the config, that would be great. Even if we can get each fo the 8 cams to show a frame a minute, that would be minimally acceptable.

-WC-

yeah, this 8 cam system seems to only have enough bandwidth to squeeze 2-5fps out TOTAL among all the cams - and that is only when it ignores 4 of the cams.

The customer is on some old 384k/128k plan for $50/mo. Pretty cheap for a business plan, pretty crappy on a practical level.

-WC-

yeah, this 8 cam system seems to only have enough bandwidth to squeeze 2-5fps out TOTAL among all the cams - and that is only when it ignores 4 of the cams.

The customer is on some old 384k/128k plan for $50/mo. Pretty cheap for a business plan, pretty crappy on a practical level.

-WC-

That is expensive as hell Down here in georgia you can get 3M/768K up.

basic business plan with dsl 128 up and 384 down is $100 a month, cable basic business plan is $150 a month, 384 approx up and down, supposed to be 512 but never seen it ..

-WC-

That is expensive as hell Down here in georgia you can get 3M/768K up.

Expensive, yes, but all business internet plans are more expensive than residential customer plans - nationally in US anyways. The 3M/768k for $50 in GA is probably at your home, right?

The business cable plans are running around $90ish for 512k/256k. Yahoo/SBC dsl appears to be cheaper for faster.

-WC-

-WC-

You just have to look for the for the cable or dsl promotions for good deals. Here in ellijay, ga the telephone company is give 1.5/768up for 7$5.00 no contract and $50.00 with 13 month contract.

darn the 1st world

we get fined $300,000 if caught using VOIP .!

40 CENTS a minute cell phone ..

darn the 1st world

we get fined $300,000 if caught using VOIP .!

40 CENTS a minute cell phone ..

Damn that is expensive as hell, I need to start a cellphone company there. I would be rich as hell.

nah they wouldnt let you ... its 1 big gov owned monopoly, most you can do is sell cell phones but not the service ..

cant start telco company either way, the only 2 ISPs here are both monopolies, 1 is the telco gov owned with DSL and dial up, the other is Cable and they own everything to do with cable, some canadians came in a made a fortune ... now they own a monopoly in our country! Course they are stealing all the Cable TV signals from the US and are wanted for copyright infractions from all major US TV networks.. LOL

nah they wouldnt let you ... its 1 big gov owned monopoly, most you can do is sell cell phones but not the service ..

But what if you had cell towers on a bunch of small, cheap, old ships sitting 3mi off the coast in International Waters? Or is the IW 12mi? I thought it was 3. And I assume cell technology has improved distance between towers since I was told about 10 years ago that it had a cell phone to tower range of only 3mi.