missmimi

Elevator CCTV cabling problem.. Help!

Dear All,

I have faced similar problems with elevator cables

1) We used one pair from the transit lift cable which the life guy allowed us to use. but these cables were of very high guage so the picture was distorted . We didnt tried any amplifiers or baluns

2) we have now successfully installed pure copper coaxile cable of guage 23/36 & we have tied this cable with the transit cable of the lift . I have seen this cable work of almost 3 years now for a 27 floor tower in mumbai .

Hope this helps anyone

Wow how did they ever get away with running there own wire in elev shaft???
Laws are a bit more lax in some countries. That is, if there even are any laws. And even where there are, are they enforced?

Wow how did they ever get away with running there own wire in elev shaft???
Laws are a bit more lax in some countries. That is, if there even are any laws. And even where there are, are they enforced?

That is a good point. My take is the companies that know the liabilities and ramifications involved should something go wrong will generally play by the rules or at least make an effort to do the job correctly. It is easy to get away with doing shabby workmanship, but I feel it will catch up with you eventually.

I am having trouble understanding what is meant by “using a spare pair of wires” for your video camera. I would think that any wires run by the elevator company would be just plain wire like a extension cord. How do you run your video over this?

I am having trouble understanding what is meant by “using a spare pair of wires” for your video camera. I would think that any wires run by the elevator company would be just plain wire like a extension cord. How do you run your video over this?

The traveller cable is made up of an assortment of wires, some for communication, twisted pair on the newer travellers and an assortment of whatever on the older ones. Basically it is considered UTP and you would use a passive balun on each end. Even the older ones from the 80s and earlier work remarkably well.

The traveller cable is made up of an assortment of wires, some for communication, twisted pair on the newer travellers and an assortment of whatever on the older ones. Basically it is considered UTP and you would use a passive balun on each end. Even the older ones from the 80s and earlier work remarkably well.

^This. The traveler cable is typically either a bundle, or a single multi-core cable, that contains wiring for the in-car emergency phone, controls, alarm button, and so on. There are usually extra pairs available in this bundle, and baluns will work over just about any pair you can find (twisted or not).

Almost all cars will have AC power available on the car as well, primarily for lighting, but some will have an outlet on the roof, that can be used to power a camera... if they don't, an electrician can probably install one for you.

Yes... although you need models with screw terminals of some sort for different wire types. Internally though, they are the same.

Yes... although you need models with screw terminals of some sort for different wire types. Internally though, they are the same.

just finished reading this topic and learned a lot here..

thanks guys from sharing your ideas.. really helped me a lot since i'm facing the same problem..

This is an informative topic.

I agree that CAT5e cable should be used inside the elevator cable.

To tie a CAT5e cable outside of the travelling cable is not a very long term solution .

Another solution;

The conductors used for the camera transmission should be shielded with copper wires for example (2x0.22).

So to use the 1 group of standard 24*075 cable(without any shielding) for camera may cause interference problem .