MRWHITE35

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit,

I've just decided to upgrade my Windows-based DVR to Windows 7 ultimate 32bit, I am running a genuine GV 800 card with version 8.4 software, it takes absolutely ages for the geovision software to start, is this normal for Windows 7 ?

To be honest no it was running ok on XP, it's just I had a bit of spare time on my hands, so thought I would give it a go, but looks like I might go back to XP.

8.3 take ages to start anyway(much longer than 8.12 and earlier), so I imagine 8.4 will also even more, then the OS is much heavier now so, even longer. Developers these days are developing for super computers.

I managed to get it working ok right click on the geovision EXE file and click on properties and always open as administrator, it will open just as quick as XP then, but I've gone back to windows XP, as Geovision software takes up a lot of memory, 700+ Meg.

GeoVision does not play well with x32 - likes x64 just fine.

Yet another reason I will not switch to Windows 7 yet... XP works fine for me. I only use 7 x64 on big machines that require a lot of processing power. Otherwise XP for me. It loads quicker, works fine, no issues.

We have several machines on Win7 Pro 64 and they run great. But they are also I7 core machines.

I can't think of a single reason to run Win7 Ultimate. Just a waste of money.

I have one running on 7 Pro 32 bit without any problems. UAC is off and it starts just like the other ones on XP machines.

Yeah, sounds like a candidate for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought

Negative. Windows 7 blows XP out of the water and GV needs to realize more people are making the switch, especially as people upgrade their old, outdated dvr systems. In fact, just last week it was announced that Windows7 just surpassed XP in terms of market share in the U.S.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7_market_share_us_passes_xp

This means upgrading to Win7 is going to be more and more common for DVR systems, including Geo, so if there are any serious Win7 bugs or performance issues with the Geovision software, Geo is going to need to respond very soon and repair the issues as they relate to Windows 7.

desktop_os_market_share_united_states_ap-1.png

Quote from article:

"The champagne corks must be popping at Redmond today. According to stat tracking group Pingdom, Windows 7 usage just passed Windows XP in the US. Of all operating systems, XP use is still at 31.56%, but Windows 7 has vaulted to 31.71%. It's about time.

The data comes from aggregated visits to over 3 million websites, meaning that it offers a solid cross sample of machines. Usage of Windows 7 has been on a steep rise ever since the OS was debuted. A refreshing change from Vista, which never got close to XP's market share level.

In many ways, this was inevitable. As old computers break down, people replace them with whatever is current. But we would wager that Windows 7 has also smoothed over many of the hurt feelings from Vista in general. The US joins other countries like the UK, Australia and France that have already hit this milestone. So, hands up if you're still on XP."

Negative. Windows 7 blows XP out of the water

Certainly not in performance. Sales wise though its all one can get now.

so if their are any serious Win7 bugs or performance issues

Windows 7 IS a bug, like Nortons IS a Virus.

Geo should write for Ubuntu, it blows Windows 7 off the map

What are you smoking?

Win7 owns XP. And if you still need to run XP for testing, just launch a virtual version of it that is included free with Win7.

My Win7 boot time is under 6 seconds, granted, that is with a Vertex3 SSD, but SSD's are no-brainers these days when you need performance on your boot\cache drive.

XP is on its way out, and rightfully so, it's a 10 year old OS that has already lived past its prime.

Edited by Guest

What are you smoking?

Win7 owns XP. And if you still need to run XP for testing, just launch a virtual version of it that is included free with Win7.

My Win7 boot time is under 6 seconds, granted, that is with a Vertex3 SSD, but SSD's are no-brainers these days when you need performance on your boot\cache drive.

XP is on its way out.

LOL

Its because of the computer you are using, put XP on that and boot time will be under 3 seconds

XP is at least 20-30% faster, try Win7 on a slow PC .. it wont even work.

win 7 is HUGE .. try fit a restore image on a 2GB jump drive?

I agree XP is on the way out, but its not because Win 7 is better .. far FAR from it.

LOL

Its because of the computer you are using, put XP on that and boot time will be under 3 seconds

Yep, and by that logic, you might as well load up Windows 3.1 and get 1.5 second boot times, with the limited functionality that 3.1 provides as well.

There are reasons we aren't running Windows 3.1 anymore...

LOL

Yep, and by that logic, you might as well load up Windows 3.1 and get 1.5 second boot times, with the limited functionality that 3.1 provides as well.

There are reasons we aren't running Windows 3.1 anymore...

Not quite, XP has thousands of additional actually useful features that 3.1 did not. There is no reason to switch from XP to Win 7 however, infact you loose some features. Its all marketing BS just like with Apple.

Quote from article:

"The champagne corks must be popping at Redmond today. According to stat tracking group Pingdom, Windows 7 usage just passed Windows XP in the US. Of all operating systems, XP use is still at 31.56%, but Windows 7 has vaulted to 31.71%. It's about time.

Strange since although my site is tiny compared to others and only gets 250K hits a month, I got XP at 39% and Win7 at 20%. Unknown is at 28%, probably various Linux builds. MS simply forces us to use their newer OS by working with device manufacturers to discontinue drivers for their older OS, thats the way its always been. Win7 is "prettier" .. granted .. but so is Ubuntu with is 10 times faster.

There is no reason to switch from XP to Win 7 however, infact you loose some features. Its all marketing BS just like with Apple.

You mean, if you ordered a brand new 2600K \ GTX 470 system this weekend, that you would load it up with XP versus Windows 7?

If so, that is insane:

Edited by Guest

There is no reason to switch from XP to Win 7 however, infact you loose some features. Its all marketing BS just like with Apple.

You mean, if you ordered a brand new 2600K \ GTX 470 system this weekend, that you would load it up with XP versus Windows 7?

If so, let me get back up off the floor because I am laughing too hard.

I "upgrade" computers all the time from Win7 to WinXP because Win7 just sucks.

So yeah probably.

I "upgrade" computers all the time from Win7 to WinXP because Win7 just sucks.

That's just like Crazy Eddy. That's insane.

Perhaps .. but they love it

ps. its generally netbooks we "upgrade" ... which literally crawl with even their limited netbook win7 version on them. and im a speed freak so whatever does the job the fastest is what I go with ..

ps. its generally netbooks we "upgrade" ... which literally crawl with even their limited netbook win7 version on them. and im a speed freak so whatever does the job the fastest is what I go with ..

I could understand maybe for netbooks...

But if I'm going to be putting together a new sandybridge 2600K build or something similar (as a workstation or DVR), no way would I put XP on that monster, because that would be.....insane.

But if I'm going to be putting together a new sandybridge 2600K build or something similar (as a workstation or DVR), no way would I put XP on that monster, because that would be.....insane.

When I come across a client that has a superfast computer .. you will be the first to know

Even one of the largest companies here I did some work for recently, they had some slow mini dells and IMB laptops even .. most others were using 5 year old celerons also. Now THAT was crazy .. they spend a fortune on other things .. but the computers .. nahhh .. I wasnt there to work on their computers though.

When I come across a client that has a superfast computer .. you will be the first to know

Even one of the largest companies here I did some work for recently, they had some slow mini dells and IMB laptops even .. most others were using 5 year old celerons also. Now THAT was crazy .. they spend a fortune on other things .. but the computers .. nahhh .. I wasnt there to work on their computers though.

It is a problem when people try to skimp on security related items, but at the same time, with Geo, it has always seemed that for what you get, the prices are higher than they should be. As an example, the GV600 and GV650 seem to be selling at the same prices they were many many years ago. Maybe there just isn't enough competition yet or something.

It is a problem when people try to skimp on security related items, but at the same time, with Geo, it has always seemed that for what you get, the prices are higher than they should be. As an example, the GV600 and GV650 seem to be selling at the same prices they were many many years ago. Maybe there just isn't enough competition yet or something.

Yeah IMO (just my opinion) Geo cards certainly arent worth what they charge for them now, it seems they havent dropped the price on them in years, should be going down in price not staying the same. I still see them as perhaps useful for somewhat budget NVR systems as you get 32 channel NVR software for free with or without a card (installing 8.4 gives you the option of all the different cards, or NVR only). But are stuck with using their IP cameras unless you pay extra for the dongle.