Quantum

Mobotix: Slow Framerate, Disappointing Quality

Have a Mobotix {redacted}

But when I {redacted}

I have done the{redacted}

Also my {redacted}

Edited by Guest

HI,

On the Mobotix M12 with a 22mm lens, 30 feet is really pushing it for reading a plate at even ideal daytime conditions. The 22mm is good for wide angle viewing of an area and is not usually recommended for plate or detail capture at those distances. I usually tell customers that a 22mm lens can capture a plate at the most 15 feet away. To get a good plate at that distance you should look at a more telephoto lens just as a 135 or 65mm. The LPF versions of the M12 has a 135mm for lpf and a 22 or 43 I believe for general coverage.

I know its probably not ideal for your project, but that is one of the tradeoffs of super wide lens's, wide angle at the sacrifice of detail at farther distances. If its a driveway setup, possibly adding a b/w or lpf with telephoto and an IR light may be your best choice to get plates

Mobotix mega test image 22mm attached

22mega.thumb.jpg.e1e7a581bd393e68a8cfbd9d2068b838.jpg

Hi Quantum.

Voipmodo is quite right about the trade-off of angle vs distance.

Please confirm that you have a SEC version capable of 3.1MP and not and IT version restricted to VGA.

Also check that the resolution is set to QXGA (3.1MP)

Change the codec from mJpeg to MXpeg, this will give a lot higher framerate (and less bandwidth overhead).

Dont use your browser, this will slow fp/s down (and use more bw), use MX Control Centre or MX Easy with MXpeg codec enabled.

In this setup above, you should expect around 6-16fp/s @ 3.1MP depending on lighting, exp. time, scene complexity, etc.

Have a look at the www.mobotix.com website which will give you specific contact details for tech support in your country.

MOBOTIX is the world leader in HiRes network video.

Regards.

Mike Lewis

Business Development Director

MOBOTIX UK & Eire

A good rule of thumb for capturing objects in motion is that the faster an object is moving, the more light you need to capture it without ghosting. This is the same for still photography and for CCTV. Depending on your lighting conditions, an extra light or IR emitter may be needed.

Hi Quantum.

Regards.

Mike Lewis

Business Development Director

MOBOTIX UK & Eire

Hi mike. nice to see you taking part in the forum (we are on the same linkedin team)

{redacted}

For some reason {redacted}

I know that {redacted}?

I can run either {redacted}

Edited by Guest

OK. I accept that. So as I say, my hope now is that {redacted} Something's freeping wrong. Anyone know?

Edited by Guest

OK. I accept that. So as I say, my hope now is that I can catch it as they're driving in.

I've changed the compression to MxPEG, and get a blazing 3-4 fps. Unworkable. CPU's running ~47%. Changing image size to 1024x768 I get 4.1 fps. Something's freeping wrong. Anyone know?

Where did you buy the camera from?

I bought it from the frame rate is too slow no matter what, and I'm trying to determine why. Maybe MxEasy is not compiled for multiprocessing. Maybe it doesn't have hardware accel such as nVidia's VDPAU.

WTF? Man

I bought it from the frame rate is too slow no matter what, and I'm trying to determine why. Maybe MxEasy is not compiled for multiprocessing. Maybe it doesn't have hardware accel such as nVidia's VDPAU.

for frame rate, maybe its the extremely slow Atom PC? I mean with the live video streaming on it? MP cam on my P4 which is faster than the Atom, had the CPU maxed right out.

Don't worry wireguys, I didn't buy it from you.

bpzle I have been working with them, and in turn with Mobotix. I've requested an RMA.

for frame rate, maybe its the extremely slow Atom PC? I mean with the live video streaming on it? MP cam on my P4 which is faster than the Atom, had the CPU maxed right out.

Long story, but {redacted}

I have to suspect:

a. {redacted}

The line between the camera and backup server {redacted}

The workstation is connected {redacted}

So takeaway is, I am doing New Science here, and there are no real tools or expertise to help. {redacted}? I don't know, and no one else seems to.

Edited by Guest

Quantum.

Forget Firefox and any other browser. Use on MXEasy or MX Control Centre and make sure you have MXPEG set as the codec inside the camera.

You see 0% usage in the transfer buffer because there is no problem connecting to the storage device. If the buffer was being used then this points to some type of network or storage issue.

IMO the problem you have here is maybe due to the fact you are watching in browser, maybe you have multiple instances open??

Take a look at this link. It is a college being build here in UK, live. I see around 2-8 fps in web browser http://bcfe-camera.dyndns.info:88/cgi-bin/guestimage.html

Can't use MxCC, as {redacted}

Good to know though that there doesn't seem to be {redacted}

Tried to look at your camera, but {redacted}

When I check {redacted}

I am losing hope for this brand. Sure glad I ran these tests before I made a major commitment.

Edited by Guest

Sorry you are unhappy but the key to higher framerqte is using the mxpeg codec not through the browser.

Of the 10,000 cameras per month MOBOTIX sell these problems are solvable with the right hardware. Believe me, the cameras can do more than you need; 10fps at 3mp for example.

Do you not have a windows laptop you can try mxcc or mxeasy on just to prove this.

I agree with them on the browser issue, you are depending on the browser when running something in that and firefox is a big clunky memory hog anyway, also one example when running an activeX for a DVR in IE on my P4 in WinXP, if I set the DVR to 30fps CIF it maxes my CPU out so it all crashes eventually .. if I run it with IE Tabs in Chrome it works much better, but it works perfect in the desktop software. Thing is, that only happens on some computers. That said, have you tried it in Chrome yet?

Well, restoring the iso to the empty partition results in "checksum error" on boot. And when I boot the WinXP install CD it gets partway through the startup and shuts off the workstation. I think I know why: it has a new WD drive with Advanced Formatting, and according to WD, XP is incompatible with it.

Doubtful as all I run is XP and I use the latest WD Drives.

Just make sure its a recent one like SP2 or SP3.

Cant just restore an ISO to a partition though, have to install, or restore an image that was made for that computer.