Can you configure a router to take a dynamic ip and host an ip camera? Using comcast, the IP changes every 4 hours now. Do I absolutely need a static IP for a network camera to work? Does the same apply for a networkable DVR?

Normally, if the router captures an IP address, it does not let it go until you clear and then capture another IP address. At home, I have a simple router and I use the same IP address for months until the ISP takes out that IP address from their pull... All I have to do then is to refresh the router for it to capture another IP and then I back to business...

You need a static IP for Network IP cameras to work. For DVRs, well I heard that there are DVRs that will work with dynamic IP, but yet to see one to do it. Regardless, if IP address changes, then you must know about it, as that is the only way you can connect to your DVR...

Levon

No absolutely not.

If you are using Dynamic IP service provided by the ISP company (comcast for example), you can use a DDNS management service. Dynamic Domain Name Service uses a software client whether integrated into a broadband router or installed on a server to update the IP at your location to the management service domain name you specify. Most low cost broadband routers will support DDNS functions, as well as have integrated update clients in the firmware to make it easier to use with equipment such as IP cameras, etc. A common method is to go to : http://www.dyndns.org and establish an account for free and read up on how it works exactly.

scottj

Which ones and how do they work? I do not see how these type of routers will work with DVRs, as the only way to connect them is via known IP address...

Levon

You need a static IP for Network IP cameras to work. For DVRs, well I heard that there are DVRs that will work with dynamic IP, but yet to see one to do it. Regardless, if IP address changes, then you must know about it, as that is the only way you can connect to your DVR...

Levon

There are many DVR's that support integrated DDNS Management. Same applies for IP Cameras (AXIS, IcanTek, etc). The manufacture generally will contract a DDNS Managment company to utilize their servers for IP updates. Some of the larger manufacturers may even supply and service their own DDNS Management servers.

scottj

Well i know for sure Linksys 4 and 8 port routers now support DDNS as Ive been using them for some months like this ... im using the DynDns.org service .. you just enter your account username and password in the DDNS part of the router.

It works for stand alones also, but only if you can type in a name instead of an IP, or goto your account and check the IP ... or have it emailed to you.

Rory

I have an IP camera and my broadband access has a dynamic IP.

What you do is firstly give your IP Camera an private IP address in one of these ranges:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Next, get a router/firewall with Dynamic DNS Support and which you can use Port Forwarding..

I use a Netgear FVL328 (there are cheaper ones with same functions). It supports DynDNS.org, TZO.com & ngDDNS dynamic DNS services.

We have signed up for a free account with DynDNS.org, when you do this you get a domain name like

what-you-choose.homedns.org

which you can then use to access your camera...

Now, when the router detects a change in the IP address it will automatically connect to DynDNS.org and update the IP address; therefore typing http://what-you-choose.homedns.org in your browser for example will resolve to the new IP address and connect to your camera.....

If you have more than one camera, put each on a different port - for example 8080, 8081 and so on, then you can access each individual camera using a URL like

http://what-you-choose.homedns.org:8080

http://what-you-choose.homedns.org:8081

and so on; however for this to work you also need to setup Port Forwarding within the router, for example if your two cameras were setup with private IP addresses of:

10.0.0.1 (and set for port 8080)

10.0.0.2 (and set for port 8081)

you would configure your router to forward all requests on port 8080 to 10.0.0.1 and requests on port 8081 to 10.0.0.2

If you have a DVR on the same network, i.e. not traversing the internet, you would just set up access using the cameras private ip address, and perhaps port...

bit rushed that but should make sense...

Thanks MrMcauber, that made alot of sense.

hi

if you have option to go static get staic ip

if not use ddns servers (pain in a???) way

dusan

Do the older Linksys routers support dynDNS automatic updating? I have a Linksys BEFSR41 and even with the latest firmware I don't see where you set it up at (DDNS section)?

dyndns only lists the Linksys WRT54G model as being certified with their software.

ive got the BEFCMU10 4-port and its using DDNS with DynDns.org

I dont think updating the firmware will help, you would need to get a new router one time.

Rory

SMC routers will lock IP for a long, long, time. I have one that has held my IP for over a year. For IP cams, you just give it a LAN address and it will be fine. Set your router to forward to that IP. 192.168.2.1...192.168.2.2...etc. The router will do what it is intended for, ROUTING!

You can also use no-ip.com (free) to follow your IP Addy. I have been using them for years to host my boards. They are very reliable.

Do the older Linksys routers support dynDNS automatic updating? I have a Linksys BEFSR41 and even with the latest firmware I don't see where you set it up at (DDNS section)?

dyndns only lists the Linksys WRT54G model as being certified with their software.

I also use the BEFSR41, and it has DDNS support. I believe that you have to get Version 3.0 or better in order to get the DDNS support. I have an older 2.6 and even after the firmware update, it does not have support for the feature, which really makes no sense since they are both indentical in components.

I was under the impression that although there is a DDNS setting on the Linksys routers it no longer funtions.

Doug L

I also use the BEFSR41, and it has DDNS support. I believe that you have to get Version 3.0 or better in order to get the DDNS support. I have an older 2.6 and even after the firmware update, it does not have support for the feature, which really makes no sense since they are both indentical in components.

man they cheap for yall, i pay $140 for the same basic 4 channel Linksys yall buy for ... ? $45?

Yeah, I can't complain too much..they are cheap.

I guess you can't order it online and get it shipped to you huh?

shipping $75-100 + customs duty %22-%35 on top of that ....

the local store here buys in bulk which is why they can sell it so "cheap"

Hello All, great forum you have here, lots of questions about Static IP and Dynamic DNS from what I see, so I wanted to let you know TZO.COM has some DVR related tutorials on using a DVR or CCTV camera system on a Dynamic IP

In many cases, Static IP's are either VERY EXPENSIVE or unavailable. Using a Dynamic IP is much cheaper and easier to obtain. Instead of paying up to $1000 for a static IP if you can get one, you can save by using DDNS

TZO.COM has a DVR section at http://www.tzo.com/DVR

We have spent some time with various DVR's from GE Security, Bosch, Dedicated Micros, and ADT and created tutorials on setting up the DVR for your network. Check it out and see how using our DDNS can save you money and get your DVR up and running quickly.

I think the DVR section will help you setup the DVR and router or PC with the DDNS. These tutorials also cover important networking issues such as DSL modems and Bridge mode, port forwarding, and remote administration of the router.

I hope this helps everyone!

http://www.tzo.com

Anyone that would pay 1000.00 for a static IP needs a CTSCAN.

I disagree that a static IP is "unreliable" as you mention (not sure why you would think that?) over a Dynamic IP. Both accomplish the same exact thing.....a point to point connection regardless. If anything, with a Dynamic IP you are relying on a third party service, hardware, or software client to perform a redirect that adds another variable of potential failure into the equation.

TZO is a decent service for DDNS management, many people in here will find your provided information very useful, thanks.

Scottj

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply. I said "unavailable" not unreliable

In many cases, some folks can only get a cable modem if they live too far from the Central Office for DSL. Some ISP's will only provide dynamic IP's, they simply don't offer a static IP plan.

We have heard some customers tell us that in Aruba and other areas, static IP's cost $200-$300 extra per month, so at $2 per month, TZO DDNS service is attractive. There are other Free DDNS services out there, but none have the support and DVR relationships and understanding about CCTV, Routers, and other networking related issues. You get what you pay for in most cases.

THanks for providing a great forum!

http://www.tzo.com/DVR

TZO DVR Support Site

I have to agree; TZO does work very well! From the router??Noooo... no need for a new router if you're using the ACTI SED2100 streamer... sets up easily, and hasn't dropped the ball yet in almost a year. No need for any TZO software either since the streamer does the work...