I can see where moving back and forth from linux and windows might be an issue. Your really not using the same software compile. I do love your USB ethernet idea. Least cost/hassle when you want to toss together a test system.

According to Exacq it is a limitation of Linux. The NIC will show up in Linux but in Exacq it has all 0s for MAC address.

According to Exacq it is a limitation of Linux. The NIC will show up in Linux but in Exacq it has all 0s for MAC address.

Wishful thinking, wonder if this has been fixed in Ubuntu 11.

Best,

Christopher

Another update on frame rate on the 241Q:

It looks like no matter what the 'numbers' say in exacq or the axis setup page, actual frame rate at 4CIF is only 3 to 4 frames per second. I tested it by exporting video and looking at the video properties in quick time. I also learned that you can display the FPS as an overlay on the video feed through the Axis setup page. It averages the last 100 frames. It is showing 3.25fps for me even though I have my FPS set to 'unlimited' in the AXIS setup, and have the recording FPS set to 30 in Exacq . I am not sure if this gets better if you have less cameras hooked up to the encoder, or choose a different compression, or change any other options.

This link shows how to overlay the FPS on your video feed:

http://www.axis.com/techsup/faq/index.php/index_axis.php?action=artikel&cat=102&id=53524&artlang=en&search=fps

Dear Alpine,

Thank you for sharing.

It was lucky for me that you've just mentioned before I purchased the Axis 241Q.

In this case, I guess the ACD-2000Q would be a better choice provided ExacqVision supports it ?

Anyway, just an update, I've now installed windows 7 for my NVR and am anxiously waiting for the new ExacqVision software to be revealed this month.

Initially I refunded my Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7200rpm for a WD Caviar Black 2TB.

However, after doing some research, I went for another refund and for the price of the Caviar Black, i purchase a 500GB Caviar Blue (For OS) and an AV-GP 2TB (For storing NVR recordings).

Let me know what you guys think about this setup.

Cheers

Nycky

Another update on frame rate on the 241Q:

It looks like no matter what the 'numbers' say in exacq or the axis setup page, actual frame rate at 4CIF is only 3 to 4 frames per second. I tested it by exporting video and looking at the video properties in quick time. I also learned that you can display the FPS as an overlay on the video feed through the Axis setup page. It averages the last 100 frames. It is showing 3.25fps for me even though I have my FPS set to 'unlimited' in the AXIS setup, and have the recording FPS set to 30 in Exacq . I am not sure if this gets better if you have less cameras hooked up to the encoder, or choose a different compression, or change any other options.

This link shows how to overlay the FPS on your video feed:

http://www.axis.com/techsup/faq/index.php/index_axis.php?action=artikel&cat=102&id=53524&artlang=en&search=fps

Something is not right your FPS should be much higher then that. That is slower then the 240Q.

Please disconnect Exacq from the encoder and tell me what the FPS is at.

Do you mean disconnect it from exacq and then look in the AXIS setup page and tell you what it is set at? It is "set" at unlimited. Or do you want me to go to the AXIS setup page and do a test of what the actual FPS reading is?

What do you mean when you say disconnect it? Unplug my exacq server from the router? or do i have to actually go into the exacq software and delete the AXIS server altogether?

edit:

Here is my setting directly in the AXIS setup page (unlimited fps), not exacq:

exacqFPS4-1.png

And when i click on "test" in the AXIS setup page, here is the pop-up window that measures FPS (note the top black bar that shows the FPS), which has nothing to do with EXACQ, although I havent officially disconnected exacq from the Server:

exacqFPS5-1.png

And when I export recorded video from Exacq, and then open it in Quicktime, and look at the video info, quicktime shows it as 4fps too.

Definitely a problem.

For the record, in exacq, i have tried setting the FPS at 15, 20, and 30 for the recording settings. Still, the exported recorded video is showing 4fps.

Do you mean disconnect it from exacq and then look in the AXIS setup page and tell you what it is set at? It is "set" at unlimited. Or do you want me to go to the AXIS setup page and do a test of what the actual FPS reading is?

What do you mean when you say disconnect it? Unplug my exacq server from the router? or do i have to actually go into the exacq software and delete the AXIS server altogether?

un-check the encoder from the "IP cameras" page then log into the encoder and tell me what the FPS is in the live view.

Im just tested one of mine and its getting 30fps. Though another one i tested is getting 4fps like yours

CaptureJPG-1.jpg

Im just tested one of mine and its getting 30fps. Though another one i tested is getting 4fps like yours

How many cameras do you have hooked up to your encoder?

un-check the encoder from the "IP cameras" page then log into the encoder and tell me what the FPS is in the live view.

between 19 and 20

so, where do we go from here? am i just stuck with what ive got? or is there a trick to fixing this?

exacqFPS6-1.png

i have 4 cameras on both on them. I forgot the one i was getting 4fps was actually recording to camera station. Went in and disabled it in there and now im getting 30fps. per camera. i guess it cant do multiple streams at 30 of the same camera at a time.

I tested my single port one also and it gets 30 too

i guess it cant do multiple streams at 30 of the same camera at a time.

I tested my single port one also and it gets 30 too

The Q7404 uses four IP addresses. Perhaps that is why they went from one port to four.

Best,

Christopher

So is there a way to disable the second stream, and just have ONE stream going to exacq to get my 20fps?

I wonder why you can get 30fps and i can only get 20... are you using motion JPEG or MPEG4? also, are you recording in 4CIF?

So is there a way to disable the second stream, and just have ONE stream going to exacq to get my 20fps?

I wonder why you can get 30fps and i can only get 20... are you using motion JPEG or MPEG4? also, are you recording in 4CIF?

Default that encoder.... Test FPS again... then reconnect to Exacq and test FPS.

After it is reconnected to Exacq look at the bottom right of the image you will see the bandwidth coming from the server. Click on that till you see "rfps" tell me what you see.

Default that encoder.... Test FPS again... then reconnect to Exacq and test FPS.

After it is reconnected to Exacq look at the bottom right of the image you will see the bandwidth coming from the server. Click on that till you see "rfps" tell me what you see.

Oh cool. I didnt know the that I could have fps displayed on the bottom right instead of bandwidth I dont have time to default the encoder right now, I am on my way out the door. I will definitely do it later though!

As of right now though, the RFPS, DFPS, and FPS are all about 3.6 -- Can you tell me what the R and the D stand for? In otherwords, what is the difference between the three?

Thanks! I like learning new things

Didnt end up having to leave yet, so I did a quick default on my AXIS 241Q.

The FPS (while not connected to exacq) went from 19 (before) to 26 (after the default). The FPS (while connected to exacq) went from 3.5 (before) to 5.2 (after). 5 is still a bit on the slow side. I think maybe this has something to do with the dual streams, or is it something else?

EDIT: after re-setting up my motion windows, my fps is back down to 3.X Everything is default in the AXIS settings except I gave each camera a name (for example, front door, driveway, etc). And then the only thing I did in Exacq was raise the quality of each camera from 5 to 10, and then setup motion detection windows.

From the start, though, it was never a great FPS in exacq right after defaulting the encoder. it was only giving me about 5fps in exacq

What happens when you switch Exacq to MPEG-4?

If i switch one of the cams to MPEG4, it goes up to 7.2fps. If i switch all four cameras to MPEG4, then they drop back down to 3.6

Im just wondering why if the encoder is disconnected from exacq I can get 19 to 26 FPS, but the instant it connects to exacq, that drops to between 3 and 7fps. Something has got to be wrong somewhere...

Im just wondering why if the encoder is disconnected from exacq I can get 19 to 26 FPS, but the instant it connects to exacq, that drops to between 3 and 7fps. Something has got to be wrong somewhere...

When you are viewing the encoder directly you are only viewing one stream. When you have Exacq connected Exacq is pulling 4 streams.

When you are viewing the encoder directly you are only viewing one stream. When you have Exacq connected Exacq is pulling 4 streams.

Ah hah.

So i guess this is as good as it gets? I need to upgrade to IP soon...

Ah hah.

So i guess this is as good as it gets? I need to upgrade to IP soon...

Damm, so no matter which encoder i get, I still cant get above 5fps ?

I know of 2 encoders that will do 30FPS all channels D1. Axis Q4704 @ $1100 and Avigilon $350 ish

I dont really need 30fps or anything, but something above 3 or 5fps would be nice. Im fine with somewhere around 15fps When connected to exacq, i am getting 3.4fps all day long on all four cameras. Thats a bit low for my preference.

TWG: What do the R and the D stand for in rfps and dfps in exacqvision?

I know of 2 encoders that will do 30FPS all channels D1. Axis Q4704 @ $1100 and Avigilon $350 ish

I dont really need 30fps or anything, but something above 3 or 5fps would be nice. Im fine with somewhere around 15fps When connected to exacq, i am getting 3.4fps all day long on all four cameras. Thats a bit low for my preference.

TWG: What do the R and the D stand for in rfps and dfps in exacqvision?

R= Received

D= Decoded