Sony SNCDH280 - Anything bad about it?

As an end user I am getting ready to purchase a Sony SNCDH280.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-SNCDH280/

It has three features I am interested in.

View-DR: Sony's WDR technology that takes multiple pictures at different exposures and splices them together. Looks to be very effective.

http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-229302/original/View-DR%20VE.pdf

Visibility Enhancer: Basically a contrast enhancer, also noted in the above PDF

XDNR: Using (Bill and Ted's?) eXcellent Dynamic Noise Reduction system it is possible to get decent night images without a lot of motion blur.

http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-229303/original/XDNR.pdf

I did a search and did not notice any comments on it. Any red flags about this product? It also has a IR LEDs on it but I'm not sure of the range. It is also unclear how many different exposures are taken with the View DR system. Sadly the docs say 2 to 4 depending on the model.

I'm sure some of the stuff above is marketing BS but it appears to be one of the top WDR dome cameras on the market at 1920x1440 resolution.

$2.300 is alot of money for 3mp. am not a big fan of IR inside dome cameras it always gives problems. before you buy take alook at the sanyo 3500 HD. cheaper.

Sanyo is closing it's doors in the fall so I would stay away. Sony makes a very nice camera with very good image quality. I think that camera has intelligent IR so you will not have issues when objects get close to the camera with the IR on.

I currently have a Sanyo HD4000 in an external heater/blower enclosure and a Sanyo 3300 HD.

Sanyo is closing their doors as mentioned above and I currently have the 3300 in for repair... I hope someone is still there to repair it. I started looking at the Panasonic but found the Sony looking much better spec wise. In one of the other threads someone posted a comparison of WDR cameras where the Sony 140 camera looked much better than the others.

The Sanyo cameras are not WDR cameras. License plates show up as a solid white rectangle at night etc.

What problems come from having IR inside the dome? Is it internal reflection of the IR against the dome or is it when things are close? I recently installed a 1,700 lumen LED floodlight so I may not need the IR and I assume I can disable it.

Sanyo is closing their doors

sanyo have only sold there cctv camera side and battery side to panisonic. the cameras will still be made only under panisonic name.

The Sony's have some of the best WDR I have seen and yes the IR is intelligent.

"Day/Night with built-in IR Illuminators - clearly see objects in the dark (o lx) up to 15m away. IR automatically adjusts intensity to avoid hot spots in the image"

From experience if you want WDR and Low Light then use the SONY... Even the E Series Camera 3MP Sony camera will out perform most 3MP cameras..

The Best SONY camera though is still the 1.4MP V series cameras with View-DR... Even better at WDR then the 3MP due to the light the Exmor can process...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7LWPlmac0

Watch at the end as the guy shines a light into the camera, no mobotix, avigilon, Sanyo, Panasonic, whatever can handle that type of punshment and still see in those conditions but SONY can " title="Applause" />

The IR's are only short Range and need something to reflect but if you want to go bigtime with IR then the RAYTEC products are second to none.

http://www.rayteccctv.com/videos.aspx?id=17

I use the View-DR on problem areas and then the SONY E series to save some cash on the no vital areas.

Thanks

MM

Edited by Guest

The IR's are only short Range and need something to reflect but if you want to go bigtime with IR then the RAYTEC products are second to none.

Except Extreme ...

Yeah but then you have to deal with Bosch as they own them...

No Thanks....

true .. yeah they used to be great once .. now bosch owns them

Bosch just finished killing off all their dual ccd ir cameras ...

The cameras ate good but the Sony VMS

is not all that, thanks god they make good cameras,

Also the software is not dual streaming.. But the cameras are hmmm..

Also the X series cameras are ok for well lite areas

but no Good at night.

Any questions Let me know.

MM

There you go... An iPhone costs less than the average performing HD camera. Now all we need is a way to tie an iPhone into our NVR's.

There you go... An iPhone costs less than the average performing HD camera. Now all we need is a way to tie an iPhone into our NVR's.

I had a guy call me today and said that he is perfectly fine with using him jimmy rigged canon megapixel "picture taking" camera for his security camera. He has it jimmy rigged where it will take a picture every 5 minutes and upload to his computer. He has ordered all sorts of MP security cameras only to return them because he was not satisfied with the quality compared to his canon. He then continued on to say that he burnt through 2 of them already but he just buys them on eBay for $20 a pop whenever one burns out so no big whoop. I dont know guys, this may be a threat to the MP security camera market.......

I had a guy call me today and said that he is perfectly fine with using him jimmy rigged canon megapixel "picture taking" camera for his security camera. He has it jimmy rigged where it will take a picture every 5 minutes and upload to his computer. He has ordered all sorts of MP security cameras only to return them because he was not satisfied with the quality compared to his canon. He then continued on to say that he burnt through 2 of them already but he just buys them on eBay for $20 a pop whenever one burns out so no big whoop. I dont know guys, this may be a threat to the MP security camera market.......

Should have asked him how the flash at night is working out.

Check Airbeam on App store

Q-Star systems (http://www.qstartech.com/products) uses a Canon point-and-shoot camera inside (I've had one apart). Our city bought quite a few of them for graffiti and vandalism...No great success story with them, though.img_home_01-1.png

hello & sorry for my english

i'm interested by the new sony hd cam,

it's not clear on youtube, does viewDR make a 'ghost effect' on moving objects due to low shutter speed?

Has anyone tried the View-DR technology at night? How does it do dealing with car headlights?

You know, I tried just snapping a shot with a Canon EOS40 at night once set with high ISO etc to get the shutter speed up. I think it was still like a one second exposure. I don't know how he got a pic at a decent shutter speed. Then again I guess he did not say at night.