Sanra

restarting computer???

From time to time (at least once or twice a day) my gv800 restart windows???

Can anybody tell why and how to avoid it??? Since I have multiple user accounts windows doesn’t boot it until password is entered. That means also no recording in that time.

Then I deleted all accounts except administrator, and I deleted administrators password so that windows can boot without any password input. In geo settings I created multiple accounts so one without any rights accepts watching live cameras while recording. Geo application boots by default in that (guest) account so if you want to switch user you have to enter password. I also disabled windows keys for keyboard ( ctr-alt-del would be also nice to disable But I don’t know how) works great!

But now I have very vulnerable system and I am not able to use remote desktop (win xp) because account must be password protected.

Please what I am doing wrong???

thanks

have you set the cmos to require a password? I was not clear from your post if so you will have to clear that. If it is a windows password go to control panel and open the user and passwords folder then ucheck users must enter a password to use this computer

If you set it up to restart then it will do so, but only once a day. Check that part of it in the system settings of Geo, you would have had to set it up for it to do that.

Also, forget remote desktop, just install VNC and youre good to go.

Rory

From time to time (at least once or twice a day) my gv800 restart windows???

Can anybody tell why and how to avoid it??? Since I have multiple user accounts windows doesn’t boot it until password is entered. That means also no recording in that time.

Then I deleted all accounts except administrator, and I deleted administrators password so that windows can boot without any password input. In geo settings I created multiple accounts so one without any rights accepts watching live cameras while recording. Geo application boots by default in that (guest) account so if you want to switch user you have to enter password. I also disabled windows keys for keyboard ( ctr-alt-del would be also nice to disable But I don’t know how) works great!

But now I have very vulnerable system and I am not able to use remote desktop (win xp) because account must be password protected.

Please what I am doing wrong???

thanks

Alright... First the reboot problem: most likely one of your cameras is loosing the signal from time to time. That will cause Geo to reboot the computer.

Now the user accounts. Create the admin account with password, so you can RC to the system. The user account where Geo system is installed should be limited. I would not recommend using the Geo desktop lock feature - it crashes the system (completely). Use group policies, or tweak the registry. And if you want the windows to automaticly login under this user all you have to do is click Start -> Run, type in "control userpasswords2", then uncheck the "user must enter...", click apply. That will prompt you for user and password - just type in your user account and you are set. The windows will automaticly login under that user.

I dont think losing a signal will make the pc re-boot, unless thats the way it is set up.

I lose a signal now and again due to a bad cable i need to replace, and all i get is a video lost screen on that camera.

If the setup under sys config is selected to re-boot it will, if its not ticked it will just run.

i think the ones with the dongles do, as this one i just got had a dongle and with video loss will reboot, none of the others without the dongle with video loss would do that.

i must have had a fluke It only did it once maybe after turning off make sound on video loss it stopped it .. oh well ;-0

The Geo software is supposed to restart when detecting a Video Lost error message. The real issue to eliminate the restarts is to FIX THE PROBLEM CAUSING THEM. Certainly makes sense to me.

scottj

scott ,

I know you are the man for Geo,but my system does not restart on video loss , with dongle (ver 7.0) or without dongle (ver 6.0)

Ive unplugged a camera to invoke video loss, and it still runs?

Is the watchdog function activated/connected ? I may be wrong but if it is, wouldn't any kind of system error cause a reboot. If that's the case then any lock-up, even a non-geo system error could be the problem.

Hi, am I missing somthing? Looks like some of you think it's logical for the DVR to reboot on video loss. Entirely new concept to me.

The ones I'm using treat video loss as an event (like motion or alarm in's), and as such, you can program various responses the way you want -- email notify, alarm out, and of course start recording (on any combination of the remaining cameras that still have video). Nice feature I think, as a video loss may possibly be an indication of intrusion/ or at least an attempt to cut the video cable, etc.

Tx Sentry 360 for password advice! It works well.

Rebooting??? Rory, field for system reboot is unchecked (Tx for VNC suggestion. I tried TightVNC –works great). I have to tell you I have video loss signal is present (for reason no power during day) but I can’t figure out pattern when and why is system rebooting. It is not caused with camera lost signal because sometime it system reboots twice a day and sometimes not at all. Wachdog is not connected.

Thanks for replies!

Could be a lot of reasons... firstly..

older versions of Geo used to reboot...ONLY GEO software not full post boot..when a camera was activated inthe system but appeared to be not present, this was a safety feature to redetect the missing camera, main reason was there was no decent gain control and the chips required 1.1V peak to Peak instead of 1V Peak to Peak, so what would happen is that cheaper cameras or weaker signals would cause drop outs and then the software would reboot to try to pick it up again.

This was changed in later versions.

Cheack that you havent set the system to reboot once a day, secondly make sure you are not using a Via chipset and check for video data corruption...are you recording to seprate partition, if so , dig into video drive and do a thumbnail preview of the folder with the date withing the folder for the camera eg date...inside cam001.. if you get no preview on the yellow folder then open folder to play files, probably only one file and corrupt...cure is a UPS with shutdown.

geo copies files into memory and power outs or signal loss cause corruptions, evry common, there is a database recovery tool, but it rarely works.

Go to the Event Manager in windows and look for exclamation marks of crashes, you should see what time it reboots as you will see the system load up, but if no shut down logged, then it is a hardware crash and then you need to examine deeper!