fdan4817

Fragmented Hard Drives - Common?

Recently our system with four cameras attached to a GeoVision 800-16 running version 6 software began crashing. We first did a Win2000 repair process, but it ran for less than a day. We thought the hard drive had cratered, but after disconnecting all cables and then reconnecting, the system once again booted up with no problems. I did chkdsk and found no problems. However, when I pulled up Windows Defrag, the drive was almost fully fragmented. The disk is 250GB and it was about 75% full. I don't remember the exact fragmentation percentage, but it had to be close to 75%, if not higher.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with GV DVRs and/or is it common to other DVRs as well? If so, how have you resolved or worked through this issue?

Thanks.

Dan,

Video data will be fragmented which is perfectly normal and common when dealing with DVR's. However, did you partition your drive to separate the video storage from the system software/OS?

scottj

No. But I am guessing from your question that we should have.

Should the GV Program be on the OS partition or the storage partition or can you even define the location of the video storage to be on a separate partition from the GV Software?

We have had success installing the OS on a separate 5-10GB partition, then install the GV software on the same partition where you will store your video and audio data, and logs. You have the capability to map the storage location to anywhere so if you add additional single drives you can map the video to them.

scottj

another thing that you can do if you have your disks partioned if you are concerned about fragmentation is to run diskeeper i have done that and don't really see any improvement. I have also ( if I don't need the old files) just reformatted the partion and resetup the path. That seems to be the fastest

Recently our system with four cameras attached to a GeoVision 800-16 running version 6 software began crashing. We first did a Win2000 repair process, but it ran for less than a day. We thought the hard drive had cratered, but after disconnecting all cables and then reconnecting, the system once again booted up with no problems. I did chkdsk and found no problems. However, when I pulled up Windows Defrag, the drive was almost fully fragmented. The disk is 250GB and it was about 75% full. I don't remember the exact fragmentation percentage, but it had to be close to 75%, if not higher.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with GV DVRs and/or is it common to other DVRs as well? If so, how have you resolved or worked through this issue?

Thanks.

Are you using Western Digital by any chance???

I don't think so. I didn't set the systems up. They are "Rocket" drives, which I am almost certain are not Western Digital.

I set my DVR up with a 8gig drive for all the OS. ANd put in to 200gb in a raid for storage. If a crash ever occurs either on the raid or the OS drive. The other will still be intact.