HTElectrical

VCM-24VF Excessive noise

Hi Rory,

Do you think it has to do with the bigger TVL cameras getting distorted when moved to a smaller screen size and that is possibly why the smaller TVL cameras are staying fine?

I thought the Monalisa was made exclusively for CNB. I am almost positive I read that somewhere.

hi. yes the chip is CNBs sorry i ment using the camera on another make of DVR. we run CNB on cms and dont see this problem

No problem, I would just like to know why they are doing that.

its only happening to the Monalisas out of 40 odd cameras from several sites, so most definitely they are the issue, regardless of what PSS does to the image. I will connect in my custom app and try them, see how it goes resized down.

CNB contacted me this afternoon and said "they do not have any problems with that camera not switching to Night mode". I told them Ya right!!!!! I am going to contact DWG and see about an RMA and maybe a different camera. Here is a night pic using a 100W halogen in the far upper right hand corner. It wouldn't be that bad if it could accomplish that image with no extra light, like the Mintron.

CNBVCM24VF100WHalogen-1.jpg

168667_2.jpg

Well this is what it looks like in the exact same position same light etc.... CNB sent it back to me after I sent it in for warranty and I quote

We checked out the camera and we found that the Day/Night function was on Color. We initialized the product and all functions are working fine.

If that is fine than CNB really SUCKS!

168466_1.jpg

Mintron camera for comparison.

Apples to oranges. You're comparing a 200 dollar camera to a 600 dollar camera. Sorry, but you got a 200 dollar lesson- don't buy this camera. Shame you couldn't return it, or can you still? That mintron looks excellent. If it wasn't so much money I'd surely get eight of them myself. You can try cheaper cameras and maybe find one comparable to that mintron in those lighting conditions, but it's a crap shoot. Buy with a return policy. Good luck.

Dan

Well this is what it looks like in the exact same position same light etc....

hi. never had a CNB as bad as that. BUT i would say it is a setup problem. you cant compare those two images as the lighting is not the same in both images. CNB you have the extra lighting infront of the camera and on the Mintron you have it behind the camera

I am going to try a new Mintron Dome camera that has similar specs to the one I am using. So far, for the price, I haven't found a better camera.

• 83SR10HN-VP-VF
    83W7N-VF-VP

In fairness, it seems this mintron is default 4x sense up? That would make sense with 0.0014 --> at no sense up that is ~ 0.006 probably at 30IRE which is possible at least, still sounds a little optimistic.

I have played with some 1/2" Mintron B&W though that are pretty amazing...

1073829944_Picture5.png.f31cc73e5256304e903d4356650fd638.png

hi. never had a CNB as bad as that.

they must make the American ones different then.

they do rory. you cant buy the monalisa in the uk.

they do rory. you cant buy the monalisa in the uk.

The issue is the Monalisa chip.

Problem is, on CNB's site everything is Monalisa now.

How did you come across that Mintron camera? I cant find them available for sell anywhere.

Found that exact model earlier today. It was 495, a hundered bucks off of list. Type in the mintron with that exact model number to search and you'll find it.

Well this is what it looks like in the exact same position same light etc....

hi. never had a CNB as bad as that. BUT i would say it is a setup problem. you cant compare those two images as the lighting is not the same in both images. CNB you have the extra lighting infront of the camera and on the Mintron you have it behind the camera

Ah yes I can compare those 2 images. The CNB is mounted 1 foot below the Mintron and the image was taken at the same time for both cameras.

Apples to oranges. You're comparing a 200 dollar camera to a 600 dollar camera. Sorry, but you got a 200 dollar lesson- don't buy this camera. Shame you couldn't return it, or can you still? That mintron looks excellent. If it wasn't so much money I'd surely get eight of them myself. You can try cheaper cameras and maybe find one comparable to that mintron in those lighting conditions, but it's a crap shoot. Buy with a return policy. Good luck.

Dan

Actually, suggested retail for that camera is 360.00, and that is only because it is a 22X optical zoom camera, which does not make the image any better than the CNB, just enables it to zoom in on farther objects.

the image was taken at the same time for both cameras.

Are you sure? It appears the light for the garage is on on the CNB pic and the Mintron is obviously not.

oh yeah, your right. Dang. I agree that Mintron looks excellent.

The only thing about those CNB's is they dont switch to B/W very easily. I would bet that picture would be alot less noisy if it was in B/W mode. II would bet that since its not in B/W mode that the IR filter hasnt slid out of the way either which makes it look even more poor.

I have some cameras that switch to B/W actually too easy and I have to turn the Day/Night setting almost all the way down to prevent it. Sometimes with CNB, you have to turn the Day/Night all the way up to make it switch and that even isnt enough sometimes.

The datasheet I found implied the Mintron runs at 4x sense up (slow shutter). Can this be disabled? If this is at 4x sense up it would not really be a fair comparison.

For example, two pics - one at nominal, one at 4x sense up. The fence in the background is only visible with the 4x.

1205209963_LTC0620f1.015dB0x.jpg.1312ae9757fda981547a30790d635d5c.jpg

929263513_LTC0620f1.015dB4x.jpg.cf6c9314bad4fc017df643c64d093b72.jpg

Yes, you can disable the sense up, but why would it be unfair? The image is great, the video is smooth, not choppy, and you can get a better color image than most black and white cameras can provide.

but why would it be unfair

Because at slow shutter speeds you tend to get some motion blur on fast moving objects. On most applications that camera would be fine but on some it would not such as trying to capture moving vehicles and such. Nonetheless, its still a great looking image compared to other cameras I have seen with the same type of shutter settings.