raztraders

store closing, buying their running system

Hi, I've been reading these forums for several months, and would like your professional

opinion on an installation. We had a 4-channel DVR system (10 years old) that died recently.

A large established store in our area is going out of business, and they have a 16 channel

American Dynamics Intellex LT they are liquidating for a pretty low price. It is currently

running, comes with 3 monitors, and includes 16 Samsung 520 SCC-131B cameras. It appears

to be about 6 years old. We would have to go there and take it out of its existing building.

Would you recommend this? Our company has an IT consultant, and we have basic networking

& cabling experience, but we are not CCTV installers by any means. Do you think going this route

to replace our dead CCTV system is a wise move if we're getting the system at a bargain price?

(We don't mind a slight learning curve and can hire a professional installer/company if need

be for support hopefully). (We don't have any specific requirements, just basic viewing/monitoring,

and wanted a good quality picture). Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've been reading these forums for several months, and would like your professional

opinion on an installation. We had a 4-channel DVR system (10 years old) that died recently.

A large established store in our area is going out of business, and they have a 16 channel

American Dynamics Intellex LT they are liquidating for a pretty low price. It is currently

running, comes with 3 monitors, and includes 16 Samsung 520 SCC-131B cameras. It appears

to be about 6 years old. We would have to go there and take it out of its existing building.

I would never bother with analog

IP megapix only

Thanks, the system is being offered for about $1500 + tax, and I'm under a tight budget

as well I'm hoping for a system that can suffice for us for 5/10 years.

If its already 6 years old, it might only last another year or two if you are lucky.

I would look at investing in at least a new DVR.

I would never bother with analog

IP megapix only

What kind of answer is that??

My main concern would be the DVR, HDDs are getting old, fans getting old, etc. Cameras ought to be fine, Samsung is a good brand.

the samsung cameras are still sold. your problem will be that they are internal cameras and are sold for $90

to be able to use them you will also be looking at buying housings and heaters.

like birdman has said the DVR. you may have problems also with the H/drives and fans (they will need replacing at that age)

another problem is you buy and find it is all locked with password.

if you are moving up from a 4 way why not just buy a 8 way all new. its not going to cost you much more by the time you have bought all the secondhand equipment and then paid for all the housings and H/drive upgrades.

$1500 + tax

and all the extras you are looking at $2.500 to $3000 and only end up with a CIF system

The main thing we deal in is used equipment and have equipment that is 8 years old or more and running like a charm. We have a bunch of those Samsung SCC-131B cameras at our warehouse right now and they are fairly decent cameras. You can see I am using them in a camera comparison test that I havent updated in quite a while (sorry been too busy)

I havent dealt with that DVR before but if its fairly old, you may want to consider upgrading as DVR's have made some advancements in the recent past.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26855&hilit=camera+comparison

The main thing is just make sure its all working before you buy it and like others have said, make sure the DVR is not password locked.

If you are doing the labor of un-installing everything, I would recommend getting the price down alot more, atleast to $1000. Otherwise, it may be a bargain if you could get it at $1500 already taken down. But its not a super bargain by any means.

I appreciate the input. Few followup questions:

1. Housings I presume are when u want to mount a camera outside, but since I already have

several outdoor bullet cameras (sufficient for me), I shouldn't need to worry about buying housing?

2. Also, are heating kits required solely for outdoor cameras?

3. What does "CIF" solution mean?

Many thanks in advance!

CIF resolution is ~1/4 of full D1 (720x480). Stay away from CIF, the low resolution is useless unless people stick their faces right into the camera...lol

4CIF or D1 is great. If you are taking out the equipment, make sure to haggle that price down as said before!

Heater are not required unless your lows are consistently below -20 degrees Fahrenheit. To use indoor cameras outside, yes you need an enclosure. They can be had for ~$40.

If you are fine with your outdoor bullets right now, no need for housings.

Hi I dont know were you are but if you need any help with the intellex I now the intellex inside out and fitted the frist back in 96

with just regular maintenance, change of hard drive, fans etc...

the intellex will last for many more years.

We have Intellex units with version 2.2 still out in the field and those are from the late 90's.

Regards,

Passwords on an Intellex are not an issue.

It can be reset. you need to know how tough. I can help.

another problem is you buy and find it is all locked with password.

On any DVR's, the fans, the power supply and the hard drives are a the main issue.

with just regular maintenance, change of hard drive, fans etc...

the intellex will last for many more years.

We have Intellex units with version 2.2 still out in the field and those are from the late 90's.

Regards,