sattech2000

Need Software Help! Geovision 600

Hi all. Trying to figure out what to do here. Purchased a business that had a security system setup. No idea who did the install. The computer is dying a slow death so I setup a new computer to transfer stuff to. From what I can see it's supposed to be a geovision gv600 card. Device manager indicated it was a GV604v3 card. I've sent a few emails to delers seeking a dongle for version 7 software with no response so i'm getting ticked. I don't have any of the original software to install on the new computer.

After doing some research I suppose I should make sure this is a legit card. Then i'll know if I should be entitled to the version 7 software.

Anyone help me on how I should procede to obtain working software for this?

Thank you

Randy

Randy,

I can help you out tomorrow morning when I get back into the office. You may not be able to use version 7.0 due to your coard probably has the SP chip on it. If you want V6.0, no dongle or chip change is needed and I can give you a download link to our server.

scottj

Scott,

THank you for the reply. I did find that version 6.05(i think it was) would work. Doing more reading i've found I have the sp chip that won't work with newer versions. I suppose what i'm trying to understand is what i'm entitled to. If this is a legit card shouldn't I be entitled to the dongle for version 7? Or dosn't it work that way?

Thank you

Randy

If it is a geniune Geo board, then yes you have the ability to upgrade to the S1 chip/dongle and V 7.0, but these items are subject to fees (depends what a dealer wants to charge you). If you send me an IM with your email address we can discuss this outside of the forum. I will need the barcode numbers from the board, and I can either upgrade you myself or direct you to a local dealer.

scottj

How can you determine if you have a GV600v3 card containing the older chip or the S1 chip?

Did some GV600 v3's have the S1's and others didn't?

God I think the Geovision software protection is just ridiculous. I thought all I would need to upgrade my Gv600 v3 to version 7.0 was going to be the dongle. They never mentioned the S1 chip requirement to me when they sent me the dongle and 7.0 CD-rom.

We were told we would need the S1 upgrade as well... but the dongle and v7 software worked fine.

Hmm. I wonder if there is a way to determine which chip the v3 cards have. I could crack the case to check I suppose but it would be nice if there was a registry edit or other method of checking.

ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong ding a long ding and a ding a ling dong and a ling a ding dang dong... DONGLE

On the card itself you will se a chip with a sticker saying "SP xx-Port", or it will say "S1 xx-Port". The "xx" denotes which channel configuration you have. ie: 4,8,16.

scottj.

That is correct, on the chip there is a sticker that indicates "4 port sp" that's what led me to belive this. On the back of the card there is a sticker that sayes 600V3 Audio. On the old computer the drivers device manager used were"604v3"(if memory serves me correctly)!

Well the dongle is hardware copyright protection, and they are software developers, as for 7.0 and no dongles, Scott how they doing it, they must be flashing the actual serial numbers to the eprom on the card?

OK, I cracked the case and checked the card. The chip on the card says SP 8 port. So, does this mean that even though I have the dongle that I can't successfully upgrade to Geovision 7.0 without upgrading to the S1 chip? Or are there exceptions? If so, what are the exceptions to the rule?

Thanks

G22, can you confirm which chip you have? I bet you have the S1 chip which might explain why yours works?

I'm confused though, because on websites like this one:

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/geovision-download.htm

It says that the S1 chip is only needed to run version 6.1, which I am planning to skip over and go to 7.0.

Are the sites like the one above just incorrect with their data, or are they accurate? According to the site I should be able to upgrade to 7.0 with just the dongle.

Normally I would just launch the damn upgrade and take my chances but I have enough other problems right now and I don't want to have to waste 2 hours re-installing software and adjusting settings, etc if the install goes to hell.

You will still need the S1 chip for your board, it is most likely one of the first generation V3 boards. You will also need the dongle, as the new boards are flashed differently, thus not requiring the Secure USB Driver installation.

Rory,

The Dongle is not serial number dependent. The boards that you have are flashed differently, the older boards do not have this feature, so when the V 7.0 software is installed it will seek out the Secure USB Driver (dongle). You can take any dongle and use it to upgrade a V3 board with the S1 chipset.

God, what a pain.

Any chance the S1 chip requirement will not be needed for future versions of the software?

It would have been nice if my vendor would have known I needed the S1 chip as well as the dongle and 7.0 CD-rom disc.

I wonder if they will even know about the S1 chip as they didn't send it to me.

Is the S1 chip free? If not, do you know the cost? If it adds no features at all, it should be free, especially if all it does is complete their lame copy protection scheme.

I hope the S1 chip at least adds some extra features or something.

If all it does is comeplete an already lame copy protection scheme, then I am one disapointed customer. If the chip provides some extra features, then I'm all for it I guess. Still seems like a pain to have to do all this just for a lousy point upgrade that's for sure.

Thanks for the help on this though. I've gained more info from this forum over the past year then I have from Geovision that's for sure.

It would have been nice if my vendor would have known I needed the S1 chip as well as the dongle and 7.0 CD-rom disc.

Perhaps you should consider if the upgrade is really going to give you that much of an improvemnt in features that you will ACTUALLY use?