Firefighter

Do/Would you display a Video Security sign?

Hey everyone.

So, I've lived in my home for 8 months, and my cameras have payed off twice already.

One time I was in my office, and saw someone casing my house.

I met them in the back yard....

Well, I ordered these. Their Small, Don't draw too much attention and I think

a clean way to display not to mess with this house....

178821_1.jpg

So, do you think it's a bad idea to display in this form that Security isn't a joke.

Do you have any form of Security signs in your yard/property?

Thanks

Hey everyone.

So, I've lived in my home for 8 months, and my cameras have payed off twice already.

One time I was in my office, and saw someone casing my house.

I met them in the back yard....

Well, I ordered these. Their Small, Don't draw too much attention and I think

a clean way to display not to mess with this house....

178821_1.jpg

So, do you think it's a bad idea to display in this form that Security isn't a joke.

Do you have any form of Security signs in your yard/property?

Thanks

i have put small sticker type signs on the external windows and doors and garage door and back of the sheds, as we have camera all round the house, front ptz 1, front ptz 2, drive 1, drive 2, drive 3/bins, front door, side gate, rear ptz, garage doors internal, garden, pond, sheds where ever you enter our property wether through the gates, drive or garden theres signs dotted just about everywhere to warn you as your getting near the house.

i think signs on a house is a waste of time and effort. recording off your property then yes and in stores or gas stations as they are public spaces.

if you alert people to your home cctv then you are basicaly telling them you have it. you have to remember cctv is not for protection it is for collecting information that happends around your home.

tell them you have it then they will just wear a mask. on a private home keep your cctv private

There is no one correct answer. I have signs and I know that has made some bad guys wonder up the street and skip my house. My house is no more interesting than anyone else's but the cameras make it a bit more work. Most criminals are my place are lazy opportunists. Every deterent helps.

The aim should be to deter thieves rather than capture the evidence against them.

I think your signs are a desirable and necessary part of your CCTV scheme.

You have gone by your intuition and experiences and you should trust that.

A deterrent is no good unless the potential thief knows about it, lets face it some

of these thieves are so stupid they may not know there is CCTV so make sure they know.

If someone is going to attempt a break in, them they do so because they think they can,

if they know the chance of getting caught is high, they will often go to the next house.

Beware of the dog notices are a good idea too even if you have no dog, even crooks would

think twice about tangling with a dog even if they can't see one.

If thieves think they can they will, unless they think there is a prospect of getting caught or hurt.

Put up intrusion alarm signs instead of video system signs, even if you don't have a system.

some type of small signage is always a plus in my opinion, even if you don't have electricity or locks on your doors... at the very least, it makes your neighbors house look more appealing, and thieves are opportunistic.

We have alarm signs, but cameras I would rather have discreet. If it comes to prosecution, is it worth it to have them know it was you?

everyone has a different need and opinion on the matter

one place I know has a huge sign, even a picture of a camera ..

the criminals still walk right past it and jump the fence.

I even put up some dummy cameras at my place (real cameras that were broken) at face height on a couple trees so that some daytime intruders would basically hit them head on .. they walked right past them .. it took a physical confrontation and some choice words to make them never come back again.

Sometimes it helps to deter, the way I stop the nighttime burglars around here was when they jump into the property and I see them on camera live (beams alert me someone is there, or I simply hear the thud as they jump over the wall), I set off the siren .. they rarely ever come back. Ofcourse now my neighbors have armed security with machine guns patrolling all night so ..

In some municipalities residential video requires signage, so first check with your town for an ordinance. And yes, I believe you should deter the perps, of course you will just be sending them down the street to your neighbors, but it's their fault for not guarding against our lowest common denominator. I fear someone who would prefer to remain covert is just looking for someone to use his home arsenal on. So i vote yes to signage for video!

I fear someone who would prefer to remain covert is just looking for someone to use his home arsenal on. So i vote yes to signage for video!

Let me provide a real-life example. Guys checking for unlocked car doors at night (and stealing GPS units). Sheriff recognizes from the video as a convicted felon. Decide if you want that video used if it could be known as coming from you, on what is probably a slap on the wrist type of crime.

Let me provide a real-life example. Guys checking for unlocked car doors at night (and stealing GPS units). Sheriff recognizes from the video as a convicted felon. Decide if you want that video used if it could be known as coming from you, on what is probably a slap on the wrist type of crime.

I like to physically confront that type of criminal (while armed to the teeth).

Last one came here trying my doors I chased him down the beach, he was apparently hiding in the bushes for hours - he never came back.

everyone has a different need and opinion on the matter

one place I know has a huge sign, even a picture of a camera ..

the criminals still walk right past it and jump the fence.

I even put up some dummy cameras at my place (real cameras that were broken) at face height on a couple trees so that some daytime intruders would basically hit them head on .. they walked right past them .. it took a physical confrontation and some choice words to make them never come back again.

Sometimes it helps to deter, the way I stop the nighttime burglars around here was when they jump into the property and I see them on camera live (beams alert me someone is there, or I simply hear the thud as they jump over the wall), I set off the siren .. they rarely ever come back. Ofcourse now my neighbors have armed security with machine guns patrolling all night so ..

Rory, what the HELL goes on there! Is it really crime central there, where you deal with it on a constant basis? If it's that active, I'd be...well, exhausted and probably bail out to a different area rather than continue to sweep the tide.

if you alert people to your home cctv then you are basicaly telling them you have it. you have to remember cctv is not for protection it is for collecting information that happends around your home.

tell them you have it then they will just wear a mask. on a private home keep your cctv private

I just don't agree with that at all. I put stickers on every lower floor window, well before I put cameras in place. Those stickers could have detered crime that I'll never know about. I think it's unrealistic to keep exterior cameras private, just as I think seasoned criminals make it part of the routine to know if the home has them, signs or not- and wear hoodies and masks anyway. You're never going to really deter a determined criminal with a sign or cameras. A pointed gun, yes, most times. But not signs and cameras- or alarms for that matter. They WILL get what they want and are willing to risk it all to do so. But the most important thing to do to help yourself is to not be a good target in the first place, and that comes down to deterence. Exterior lights help big time, and I believe signs do too. It may not deter the criminal who WILL have their way. But it will for most. The key is to make the criminal decide your home is not a good risk, and go elsewhere. We had a home robbery spree recently in the general vacinity and it was determined that every house hit had one thing in common- no dogs. Houses next door to the houses hit all had dogs. Lights, cameras, alarms, signs- it can mosly come down to a damn dog in the end. All that said and I have not put up signs for cameras yet. Good ones cost bucks. Cheap ones are crap and don't last a year, and look less serious to me as well. I want good ones that last and look good too. Coming soon.

I fear someone who would prefer to remain covert is just looking for someone to use his home arsenal on. So i vote yes to signage for video!

you are spot on there Mike. in the uk 8 out of 10 once they put forward cctv from there house and see that they have to go to court. most drop there case.

putting signs up on a private house dose not make the scum go next door infact it can have the oposite effect.

house with cctv ..... they think your protecting your assets you have more valubles to take. all as your sign is doing is telling them to put a mask on. private homes should have a low key approch let the cameras do there job IF THEY need too.

you have to remember cctv is not for protection it is for collecting information that happends around your home.

+1

I've read articles that back up this point of view, and in fact they think it would be better if they called them surveillance systems INSTEAD of security systems. Easier to sell on fear though I suppose.

Rory, what the HELL goes on there! Is it really crime central there, where you deal with it on a constant basis? If it's that active, I'd be...well, exhausted and probably bail out to a different area rather than continue to sweep the tide.

Well this is the city, but think of it like South Central LA.

There is only here, or the out islands.

No crime in the out islands, but nothing to do and even more expensive due to the extra shipping.

I just don't agree with that at all. I put stickers on every lower floor window, well before I put cameras in place.

can i ask why you then spent money on installing cctv

thiefs only have 1 goal to make money. house or a car.

lets take a car thief. on a walmart carpark he sees 8 old bangers worth nothing and 1 new mustang they will always go for the mustang.

same with a street full of houses all look the same except 1 has I have cctv sign. to a thief thats the house with the expensive goods

Than criminals must be hitting every house with an ADT sign in the front flower bed. Out here, it's every other house. Criminals who are looking for the real loot, the real money, aren't wasting their time on houses in middle class neighborhoods with signs and baby cams proped up by the front door. Those cues tell them nothing about the fortunes inside, nor do they waste their time. Our neighborhood is left to kids and drug users who have to simply smash and grab, with little contemplation about it. Cameras that watch over the REAL scores are in upper middle class and rich neighborhoods. That's the systems worth beating. All I know is I'd rather do common sense things, including signs, to deter the problem rather than hope my cameras provide a 'gotcha' after the fact. Good security is most times applied in stages- layers. No one thing does it all.

Thanks for all the replies.

Let's open this up and extend it!

So, I have The cameras... I have the dog... I have the Security System wired up Almost. (Getting that finished soon)

I have the Motion Lights outside, I have the Security System Signs, I WILL have the Video Security Signs....

So.... How about these Stickers.... I know a few people personally who have them on every door and window.

178985_2.jpg

I've seen the yard sign, But I wont be getting that.

This is TN. You can't throw a rock without hitting two things.... A Church or a Gun Store.

And Yes... I am Armed.

My Next Door neighbor installed one of those Large Yard Security Lights from the Power company. So the back yards are always lit up.

She was worried I wouldn't be ok with the light at night. I ensured her I was pleased, Saves me money! and it lights up our back yards and the space between our yards. (Not too much of my back yardf, but some)

Yeah, but if Rory bailed, then he wouldn't be able to tell us on a regular basis how rough he has it (especially when he's tormenting our Northern Alberta members with his 28-degree temps in the middle of winter).

Then you Might like the Yard sign too....

http://api.ning.com/files/bwarqlOxvqG2u-cdMsi3Up1D4Uhqz215jy4HP57QfxbU90gOupciv1y25v03kMXPLvJmKluoD0pqyi5OhvGJ0OTlYSxGQoxf/NOTHINGINSIDEWORTHDYINGFOR...jpg?width=600&height=495

I'm getting the stickers. But I'm not getting the yard sign...

I have a few more things you might like

A UnWelcome Mat. lol

178987_6.jpg178987_7.jpg

yard signs

178987_8.jpg178987_9.jpg

Window stickers

178987_10.jpg

And a Dr research of what criminals rly fear... old study but it's human. I'm sure it's close stilll...

http://www.readytodefend.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=11

as i said in a previous post we have signs all round the property but that doesnt stop scum like this turning up trying to get thru the front door. turns out i got home just in time, to find the idiot trying to nick cable and looking round the bins area the main thing that cheesed me off is the fact he tried to get thru the front door. soon sorted that out the cops have been alerted and they are picking up the cd tomorrow/sunday during the afternoon.

thank god the front door was locked as my mum and dad were home if he had gotten in he could have gone thru the whole house. doesnt bear thinking about tbh.

2017146171_europeandoorhandlecctv.JPG.dd8206f911ed5f8440059759c80342a0.JPG

1129179395_europeandoorhandlecctv2.JPG.345aa8141c154c266136aeb8cc43c3d1.JPG

1845373417_europeandoorhandlecctv3.JPG.3b7f4475329a57c7d14bf252ed0732b8.JPG