Firefighter

Do/Would you display a Video Security sign?

all of our systems come with a sticker - but many people also install the sign as well

i think it comes down to a personal preference

The "armed household" signs have the same issues - they alert bad guys that there are small, valuable, easily sellable items in the house. It's fine while you're home and can defend the castle, but when nobody's home, it's no help. This is the same reason I don't put NRA stickers on my car - I just don't like to advertise such stuff locally.

I believe alarm signs are the most effective while not inviting trouble - burglars tend to stay away from houses with alarms for all the obvious reasons, and alarm systems aren't very valuable as fenced items (though they do imply that valuables are inside). Video surveillance signs would alert smarter crooks that there's gear to be found, and that they should be masked to avoid recognition.

Of course, many crooks aren't very smart, don't read the signs, and don't even look around for cams and such, as the various screen shots have shown.

Burglar alarms are reactive (or preventive with signs), guns are reactive, cams are forensic.

If you are going to advertise your defense, make sure they will work how you want them to. If someone comes into my home, I've got 8 cameras recording everything about them, multiple motion detectors, glassbreaks, sensor on every window+door, and 2 sirens (one HUGE outdoor one) and a strobe. Automatic callout of course... Oh, not to mention the plethora of guns. Got one up & downstairs, loaded and ready to blow away the guy who decides to step across the legal line...

I love those little shooting signs. can I buy one without the fake holes and put my own shots into it?

Had only one experience like Rory has... This was before I had the TV modulator, so I suddenly hear someone fumbling with front door after looking in the windows without noticing them walking up the drive. I start dialing 911, while ****ing the .357. I walk downstairs and his eyes come up to meet mine through the glass pane. The look on is face as I stare back at him...PRICELESS.

If you are going to advertise your defense, make sure they will work how you want them to.

Gotta keep the machetes well oiled.

If you're gonna put signs up such as that, you better be prepaired to back it up. Don't even think you're gonna bluff anyone who is more than willing to point a gun point blank and murder in cold blood. That's all the tempting they need. Most law abiding people do not have the sand to do that, no matter how much they think they can to defend their property. They're likely to shout out something to avoid it and that's what's kills them. So if you're not willing to shoot first and ask questions later, be careful- someone may just call your bluff over that one.

As far as we all go... we stand for our own security... and NO one else... here I mean -police. Who else is to keep us safe? That's why we pay the taxes and those fellas get their pay... but no.... Just wait...

Last autumn... October my daughter's house got robbed: Just wait to read till the end: the house was and still is rigged with so far the best security here in Canada , Quebec:ADT security system, with all the possible gadgets , here I mean the glass break detectors, window/door sensors, all kinds of motion etc... Then, Good quality video surveillance system, covering entrance, back doors, ,all 4 sides of house in short, all possible entrance ways covered... The thugs broke back door glass, opened the door, went inside, all sirens screaming..etc... 45-50secs... they were gone 3 pcs gone not a big damage, the resulting shock for kids, daughter... You know what I mean....Thank God, nobody was home ???

Police???? Unless there is a victim. bodily damage, somebody killed etc... it's on Your own... That's what those "uniformed " fellas told... Got video shots, got the alarm on etc....usually police arrives 20-45 min later, ... due to "false alarms.... Post these shots on Internet... do it Yourself... Thanx for advice officer...

So I got 4 myself good cams too , good DRV(Dahua 8ch+ 5 Effio cams.).. the cams are pretty visible, covering all four sides, entrances etc... Is it going to deter the bad guys? God knows....Maybe He may help? Not hoping much for the police to do the job>>>>>( In Canada it's forbidden even to keep a pepper spray for defense, let alone a gun... 10 yrs behind the bars....Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere in Texas..... Maybe I should also display a sign...

I pack a lot of heat my friend Don't you worry about me bluffing And yeah I can be cold blood if I have to pick between defending my family and the sucker at the other end. Don't you worry about me

If you're gonna put signs up such as that, you better be prepaired to back it up. Don't even think you're gonna bluff anyone who is more than willing to point a gun point blank and murder in cold blood. That's all the tempting they need. Most law abiding people do not have the sand to do that, no matter how much they think they can to defend their property. They're likely to shout out something to avoid it and that's what's kills them. So if you're not willing to shoot first and ask questions later, be careful- someone may just call your bluff over that one.

True that. It took my local police just 45 minutes to show up after my alarm went off in my house. Count on your own guns to protect your family before the police shows up. But that's in Houston, I don't know about other places.

Remember the old saying:

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

You're very lucky. Wish they had same good response time here

Takes under 5 minutes here, for example if people are reported as trying to get into cars.

You're very lucky. Wish they had same good response time here

Takes under 5 minutes here, for example if people are reported as trying to get into cars.

Yep, when I used to live in Chicago I used to joke that unless someone was shooting they didn't really care...

And under 5 is calling the non-emergency line. Even when these guys come out to view footage (which they WANT to do) now we say "thanks". In fact they have said some very nice things about the system. I also tell the current board that they are doing a great job and not to cut their funding...

An increasing trend in California is not to respond to burglar alarms without independent verification that it's not a false alarm. San Jose recently stated they would implement this policy due to budget cuts.

Some neighborhoods, response is pretty quick (maybe 5 minutes if the're not far away), especially for issues involving violence, but for other areas, or non-critical problems, it can be much longer.

A security sign that garners respect is a poster made with photos and captions about real neighbourhood crime. Stick the posters on a light pole and watch the reactions. I had a teenager flip-out in disbelief over a poster with an event taken at a distance. You could see the kid resolving in her mind the connection between the camera location and her very distant location. A lesson was learnt.

Here is a still shot of an event at my house. The punk tried to break into an out building. I used this photo on a few posters with appropriate captions:

218209822_AttemptedBreak-in22-09-2010.JPG.001780570bdcf6807dd1813294c4f661.JPG

Here's a neighbour taking a slash against one of the lamp posts with posters attached. This public urination was an act of defiance against the posters and against local crime. So I took a shot of the jolly wobbler and stuck that on the light pole too.

1629259120_NewPicture.jpg.4e56d32163f387c39dfd4a04bba7d5c3.jpg

Several liquor stores we service have their own "wall of shame" with pictures of undesirables ... right up in their front windows. Usually with captions detailing their crimes.

I've been asked (PMed) about which camera I used for these shots. Two years ago I tried to identify the 'best' PTZ on the market as a starting point. The idea, for me, was to start with the best concept and work backwards rather than start with a poor solution that had to be constantly replaced or upgraded. The best speed dome back then cost a fortune, so I set out to identify the camera inside that dome and then put together a speed dome based on that camera. The Achilles heel of this approach has always been the generic PTZ domes I used. I have since discovered one generic speed dome of a substantially higher performance which I was going to discuss on the forum but I have since come to the view that generic domes (for me at least) will never provide a permanent solution because of the problem of maintenance. This hasn't stopped the quest to find other generic cameras though.

Below is yet another still shot of public urination onto a public road constantly used by children. This shot has not been digitally enhanced. Distance is about 90 feet from camera.

1161519336_PublicUrinationfromBurgundyPajero.thumb.jpg.119b16c94aa504f4698024647d137ad4.jpg

Here's another one at about 250 feet with a moving camera.

N.B. I am working now toward a better solution.

This poster read: Information Wanted: Illegal Motorbikes in Public Park.

77003545_Motorbike2011_01_09_14_40_21Motorbike.jpg.02f6b5dc0086c3666a9cd470fb5d63f8.jpg

Public Urination.

Here's another one of Joe Citizen when he thinks nobody is watching.

Distance about 120 feet shot with the speed dome.

Got a nice close up of the number plate too.

I am running out of light poles for these posters. What I need is a large wall to publicly display them.

522879552_Urinator24.thumb.jpg.524d362cf8af68b33538be9ec1ad53a6.jpg

No worrys.

One day they're gonna come up with your coordinates. That is a day you should be very prepared for.

The thugs broke back door glass, opened the door, went inside, all sirens screaming..etc... 45-50secs... they were gone 3 pcs gone not a big damage, the resulting shock for kids, daughter... You know what I mean....Thank God, nobody was home ???

Police???? Unless there is a victim. bodily damage, somebody killed etc... it's on Your own... That's what those "uniformed " fellas told... Got video shots, got the alarm on etc....usually police arrives 20-45 min later, ... due to "false alarms.... Post these shots on Internet... do it Yourself... Thanx for advice officer...

I use a 5-Point door lock on a heavy steel security door. The door is made from 3/4 inch hollow rolled square tube that is 1.6mm thick. The 5-Point lock inserts pins all the way round the steel door frame. It cannot be jimmied or opened without using an SUV and a running start. At that point it would have to pull the bricks out. Nothing beats STEEL BARS.