Zohan

Quick question about switches

Here is the scenario....

Going to be putting in a 2 separate systems at one residence, one based off main house and another off of garage/guest house. I have internet at both, upload speeds around 30mbps.

system 1 at house will have aver hybrid 1008h dvr, 4 analog cams and 3x 1.3mp cams.

system 2 will have aver hybrid 1004h, 1 analog cam and 3x 1.3 mp cams

i was planning on putting in netgear poe 10/100/1000 switches, http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSafe-GS108P-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B003CNZ9WG

since i cant really find a 5 port poe gigabit switch that fits the budget for system2, i need to know if i can use 10/100 poe switch for that system without sacrificing anything? Please explain...

Thanks

"upload speeds around 30mbps" You sure you have 30mbps for UPLOAD? It sounds right for download speed but that is very high for upload. Most residential upload speeds are max 5mbps.

As for the switch you don't need a GB switch. I would recommend a 8 port POE switch with 2 port GB uploads.

Integrator - Not sure if this will answer your question, but you've pointed out that you will be having an upload speed of 30 MPS - High? I'll leave that for you to check, but you're limitation will be the speed of the switch you want to couple in as it seems to be slower then the other gear.

I had no choice for a while at home with my computer network - My printer had to work off of a 10 MPS hub while everything else ran at 100 MPS - Now adays my one daughter who I have running an Asus USB wireless network adapter is typically running 270 MPS while us wired people are still stuck at our card speed in the computers now slow at 100 MPS

I would not foresee a problem if you follow all the right connections.

Thanks guys.....yes approx 30mbps, I will be at computer and will post a snap of the speediest....what I meant with the switch is yes the cameras can connect to the 10/100 ports but was planning the dvr and router to the gig ports....but if I didn't have gig ports would there be a difference?

With only three 1.3MP cameras, you should have no problem using only a 10/100 link to the NVR. The three cameras together shouldn't add up to more than 10Mbps max, even using highest-quality MJPEG.

So yes, a 10/100-only PoE switch in the garage should suffice nicely.

Thanks Soundy....I will use the netgear in the main house and look for a smaller 10/100 switch for the garage house...

I dont know if you're familiar or use Acti cams, but will I notice any difference in the acti tcm 1231 vs the acm 1231 model..the tcm has h.264 the acm does not...?

Sean and Wireguys, LOL....here ya go

179806_1.png

Oh yeah, Verizon Fios. I heard thats killer fast. Fiber Optics all the way up to the house from what I understand.

you are correct my friend...

Oh yeah, Verizon Fios. I heard thats killer fast. Fiber Optics all the way up to the house from what I understand.

We are working with a local ISP to secure their substations. Minimum connection speed between locations is 1GB and most are 10GB. I am going to build a house within 300ft of one of the locations and run a cat cable. I would be plenty happy with a 100Mb connection

Mine's supposed to be 50Mbit down, 5Mbit up... Speedtest doesn't do it justice though, because of all the traffic we have going all the time.

With only three 1.3MP cameras, you should have no problem using only a 10/100 link to the NVR. The three cameras together shouldn't add up to more than 10Mbps max, even using highest-quality MJPEG.

So yes, a 10/100-only PoE switch in the garage should suffice nicely.

Soundy....revised plan.....only 2 1.3 mp cams on house and 3 on garage....cameras connect to switch which will connect to aver hybrid dvr and also router....thinking of using this switch, one each , garage / house

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156229&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Switches-_-Trendnet-_-33156229

opinion?

For small camera counts that switch will work fine.

FWI all you need to do is calculate your total bandwidth from your cameras and this will tell you if this switch will support your needs

Thanks WG...I always like to check real world experience against "the book"

I know you got game, so I appreciate the help...

Bandwidth with 3 acti tcm-1231 , 1280x1024, mpeg4 codec (no choice for h.264), 8fps, bitrate of 2.5m, recording on motion 24/7 at 50%....is 7.5 mbps...so looks like im ok, even with fluctuation