Firefighter

Designing system for my home. ( Looking for help etc... )

I can unlock those with two hair pins in 20 seconds..... Learned from watching a youtube video when I lost a key for one.

Since then, I've never bothered with them....

I can unlock those with two hair pins in 20 seconds..... Learned from watching a youtube video when I lost a key for one.

Really?

I am certain the manufacturer would be interested to see that.

Please direct me to the youtube page.

search how to pick a master lock. All the key ones are pretty much the same.

I tried it on 3 other diff types of key locks and it worked within 30sec on all...

Yeah, Afterwards I felt differently about the locks.

PS: the one you linked a picture, its just as easy. Crazy

Still waiting.

I tried it on 3 other diff types of key locks and it worked within 30sec on all...

1. I've seen a locksmith pick a lock. He didn't use "two hair pins."

2. All locks are not "pretty much the same."

3. According to this rationale: Some locks can be picked, therefore all locks are useless.

4. Iconic brand name locks aren't "just as easy."

1. I've seen a locksmith pick a lock. He didn't use "two hair pins."

Of course not - he'd have tools specifically for the task. I can drill a hole in a piece of wood with a pocketknife, too, but I generally don't, because I have tools designed for the task that make it easier.

3. According to this rationale: Some locks can be picked, therefore all locks are useless.

You need to stop reading in things that people don't actually say.

4. Iconic brand name locks aren't "just as easy."

No, sometimes they're easier. As with any industry, it all depends on whether the "iconic" brand has reached the point where they start trying to skate by on just their name.

Continue to wait.... I'll ask a mod to clean up the last few posts if it'll be that way.

Edit: Thx soundy.

Yeah the lock smith didnt use two hair pins.... you know why? He has tools and is a pro... I'm not buying the tools.. It's not legal to

own them without having a lock smith license. the video had a link in it for learning how to bend two hair pins into usable picks

When did I say that? I learned how to pick that style lock, and since then, every same style lock I've tried it's worked....

All locks (So far) that I've tried that have a Key hole, and that loop at the top....

I won't be linking the video, or researching or discussing it further. Considering this is my thread about designing my system

I'll stop the discussion on the lock picking now.

Thx

Edited by Guest

Just stick the DVR in the closet or under a desk .. then put a dummy VCR somewhere visible .. when they brake in they would likely grab the VCR and not even think twice. There are lock boxes for DVRs also.

For power, having the cameras only on battery backup is useless in this case as the DVR will not be powered by the camera power supply - get a good UPS, or a couple of them (when the first one plugged into the wall dies, then the other one kicks in). Could look at Solar and or a generator for longer power, Solar for clean power. Use a Voltage regulator (eg APC) at the least if using a generator, but even if not use one anyway - UPS also normally have AVR built in. If using a generator then the UPS really comes in handy for the short time between switch over - I rarely use a UPS without a generator installed unless they are willing to buy a UPS that costs more than the DVR! Could also look at the batteries use for Solar.

Yeah I had planned on having the DVR on it's own battery back up, and the Cameras on their own battery back up as well.

UPS is suppose to drop the package off tonight.... He drove by twice!

I hope he didn't miss me! I was outside waving my arms! lol

He thought what a NUT!!!

"We will put this guy on our suspicious person list...."

I hope he didn't miss me! I was outside waving my arms! lol

I wouldn't doubt it with my luck! Although, He was on the cell phone and didn't even notice me.

Or you're right, he was thinking "GAS! Hit the GAS!"

I will, I'm going to do a review on everything, the dvr camera and even when I buy more cameras and parts I'll review those too

and put em on youtube. i do that kinda stuff all the time. lol

Edited by Guest

Well! Everything is here! Woohoo! lol... I'm at work and had the fiance' bring it to me.

Working a 24hr shift, I get off at 7am.

Anyway, Not sure if I can get right to it tomm, I gotta go buy a Hard drive because I opted to

install it myself. And in the morning a big amount of work has been planned to cut some very large tree's down in my yard and clear a tree line. But, I look forward this weekend to getting this stuff out and playing with it!

Thanks again!

Everything looks good! The Housing really isnt as bad as I thought it would be as far as being a huge noticable thing sticking out like a sore thumb. I still think people will miss it...

I might paint it flat black to help prevent my historical society from saying it looks \

"out of place" but we'll see. Also, The Box camera is about half the size of the enclosure,

possibly a market for smaller enclosures. But, I do look forward to trying it out.

Question: If the enclosure is sealed, how will the fan help anything in the summer? Do I leave it open for air flow? or is it not really sealed... Just seems to be.

Anyway, happy.

Once I get this going I need to order some more cameras!

There are smaller housings out there but once you stick that big lens on there you will find you will need most of the housing.

The fan question gets asked alot: the main purpose is to blow the fog off the window during certain times of humidification. With that being said, there are some very tiny vent holes on the bottom back side of the housing in which would allow "some" air flow to come in but not much but should slightly help with venting the housing. That is a very popular housing design. That Dahua housing you have is the same exact design that GVI had with their housings. Those types of housings were used in the "Worlds largest retailers" systems for years, we have literally sold thousands of the used GVI housings that we got from them over the past 2 years, you can still see them up on the tops of their stores today. Be sure to use the wire weather grommet that came with the housing, otherwise, you will have a nice cozy wasp nest waiting to happen.

Careful painting the housing black, during the summer it could make it devastatingly hot inside.

^^ True, Thank you.

Ill have to think about that one before I do it....

Maybe some black laminated paper, wouldn't rly cook the housing because it wouldn't be attached

except for the sides, there would be like a 1" gap between it and the housing...

Heck, I don't know. Our weather is CRAZY. Last month, All in one day it...

Morning dry, then rained, then sleeted, then snowed, then melted, then rained, and then was

sunny.... Yes.. I kid you not. So yeah thats our damn weather here.... in middle america.

Who knows. Maybe I'll move it to the other side of the house for the summer.

Or just leave it alone and not touch it....

The Camera will be located at #1, the corner over looking the front yard/area.

Maybe, Thats the plan anyways, I'm going to test it out at a bunch of difference places

to see exactly where I like it.

Careful painting the housing black, during the summer it could make it devastatingly hot inside.

Good call, never even thought of that.

Good call, never even thought of that.

I mean, we use black cameras here, like bullets and even the old extreme cameras - but if I had the choice I would go for white or off white. The bullets arent so bad, infact they do come in silver in some cases but for the extreme cameras originally they all came in black (later they added a white option for one) - now Bosch ships them mostly in white by default. The extreme desert camera is white also - although that heat is more intense than here.

But with box cameras in housings, i would just leave it the off white or white color. To make it more covert maybe paint it the color of the building.

That said I painted a CNB dome black before .. but again, that thing got so hot inside - no it didnt destroy it, but why chance it. And trying to work on black cameras in the day can burn your finger prints off. I would never paint an outdoor camera black again.

Now here is hoping the 6 BLACK KT&C TDN IR Bullets i just got dont burn up this summer ... LOL

They come in silver but those arent stocked as often.

Im going to start ordering the non black ones though from now on .. unless the client insists, or they arent available.

Bought a 1TB Barracuda HD for the DVR tonight.

Getting closer

man .. i hooked up 2x 32 channels in the time since you last posted ..

should be watching those cameras by now

BTW you can turn the DVR on without a HDD, it will work.

I used mine for 6 months like that, recorded over the network instead.

LOL I know, I'm just so busy. Example, Right now as im typing this, I have a band changing in a room in my home,

were doing a photoshoot. lol (I do photography too)

I will though soon!