Electryko

Cloning MAC address for little downtime

Hey,

I like to spoof or clone a mac address of a IP camera.

I'm working with some brands of NVR where each camera has a license file related to the mac address.

When a camera fails I have to replace it in a short time, so I have buy a new camera and after this I have to ask for a new license file or I have to buy a new license file.

A lot of times it can't be done the same day.

I like to know if there's a cheap network bridge or router that I can put between the new camera and the NVR and with this bridge clone the mac address of the old camera.

And this for the time it takes to get the new license file.

A POE powered device would be perfect.

A software script inside the various brands of camera's would be even better.

An NVR without such a stupid restriction would be the best solution: avoid the problem altogether, rather than trying to work around it.

If I am not mistaken, that is how Milestone works. Atleast that is what I have heard. Could be totally wrong.

I like to know if there's a cheap network bridge or router that I can put between the new camera and the NVR and with this bridge clone the mac address of the old camera.

this still would not help you at all (have a think )

if you have to use NVRs that work this way. then its much better for you and your customer if you had a spare camera and licence in stock you camera distributor should help you with at least 1 free temp licence just for these problems.

I'm told Milestone DOES have a temp-license feature for just this purpose.

Still a stupid way to do things and is better simply being avoided.

I haven't heard that they DO charge to re-license to a different camera... but it certainly gives them that ability.

If I am not mistaken, that is how Milestone works. Atleast that is what I have heard. Could be totally wrong.

Correct.

You can replace the MAC address appointed to the license.

I got a version running here with 4 camera licences. And it says: "Deletions left: 2"

Not sure how the number of deletions is related to the # of camera's. Perhaps per 2 camera's, 1 deletion.

Correct.

You can replace the MAC address appointed to the license.

I got a version running here with 4 camera licences. And it says: "Deletions left: 2"

Not sure how the number of deletions is related to the # of camera's. Perhaps per 2 camera's, 1 deletion.

I was told by their tech support that they allow approximately 15% of licenses on a particular installation to be changed online per year. After that, they can still be changed, but it requires an E-mail or phone call to tech support to do this.

They don't charge to change the licensing information, but this is their way of controlling licensing (they license by camera MAC, rather than by server).

OnSSI also have MAC address licensing.

I always explain the client the need to have a spare cam on standby for those cases.

and we purchase extra ptz and license per project. If budget is tight and they prefer to wait the 8 hrs it takes onssi to send me the new DLC so be it, but 99% where we installed Onssi were client of mission critical who understood and can't afford downtime.

And don't forget Milestone is now charging $110 per phone call for support
That's for after hours or high priority response, basic phone support is still free (for now, anyway).

And don't forget Milestone is now charging $110 per phone call for support
That's for after hours or high priority response, basic phone support is still free (for now, anyway).

Interesting from what I was told integrators will have to buy tickets for tech support. Tickets cost $110 each and no end users will be able to get phone tech support.

I understand what they are trying to do but either way I think it was a bad move for them.... They should have just increased the license fees $15 or $20.

I disagree with you on that one.

When they deal with clients (sometimes installers too) who don't know what MAC address means, or if the camera is POE they can't waste staff time answering basic questions. I rather them put that extra salery towards another R&D guy salery to make things better.

I think thats why some companies make you take the course before they even agree to talk to you.

I disagree with you on that one.

When they deal with clients (sometimes installers too) who don't know what MAC address means, or if the camera is POE they can't waste staff time answering basic questions. I rather them put that extra salery towards another R&D guy salery to make things better.

I think thats why some companies make you take the course before they even agree to talk to you.

May be they should screen better their "future ,potential dealers/integrators"

before they certify them