DataAve

How To Save an Hour (Or More) On XP Installs

I want to be able to make a generic ghost image of windows xp with all service packs and updates and several programs, and use this image on many different pc's with different hardware and specs. I know I can do this kind of with a slipstream, but not as fast as a ghost image.

That is what I thought.

Acronis True Image 9.0 was finally rated higher that Ghost.

I have backed up partitions in 15 minutes or so.

But if Ghost is what you like then that is what you should use.

Install Service Pack 2 and then download all the current update and install them and your up to date.

Once you do the one install of Windows XP on a drive then image it, it will never take you as long again to get a system up and running and configured.

Jasper,

Are you saying that I can image the drive on my pc, and then go to my aunt's house who has a totally different pc (different brand, different hardware, etc) and use that image on her pc and everything will work?

Not necessarily. I would uninstall your video and sound drivers off your comp, and then make the image. If your computer has different audio/video hardware then your Aunt’s, yes you may run into a problem. Those are typically the only drivers that may conflict with other systems unless of course you have any additional drivers from your motherboard (Intel drivers).

To tell you the truth though. Your better off this time just doing a fresh install on your Aunts comp. Install all updates, antivirus, antispyware, ness. software, then make an image of her's. Now, you have a fresh image of a fresh system that has the basic software to your specifications. If you image your comp, your aunt may get some programs that she may not need, also all of your history..

Edited by Guest

Everything except the specific device drivers required for the devices on that system. Many of which are supported by Windows XP already.

For the other devices you would need the proper device driver CD's.

Display, Sound Card, Printer, Network Card, etc,

When you boot the imaged version of windows on another system, Windows will recognize the new devices and prompt you for a disk if needed. Like I said though many device are natively supported.

Not necessarily. I would uninstall your video and sound drivers off your comp, and then make the image. If your computer has different audio/video hardware then your Aunt’s, yes you may run into a problem. Those are typically the only drivers that may conflict with other systems unless of course you have any additional drivers from your motherboard (Intel drivers).

Windows will recognize the different hardware. And you can easily delete the drivers through the device manager that are no longer relavent.. But ideally if you can just have the standard VGA driver for the display active and remove any other devices you can image the installation cleaner if you wish. I have done it both ways. Kandcorp is right you can have your display not come up if it is looking for another type of video card. Best to use the generic VGA display driver that comes with Windows XP to avoid a potential display issue.

Also once you have internet access you can download most needed drivers from the vendors web sites.

I also use this tool to speed up my loading of device drivers:

http://www.driver-soft.com/

It offers access to a device data base which sometimes will have hard to find device drivers within it. Great tool for backing up all device drivers on a system for quick restore purposes if needed.

Have any of you guys ever used any of the techniques described in that article I posted above about how to remove drivers and registry settings like enu or something like that? Is any of that necessary? Also, if I ghost a fresh copy of my drive with win xp and updates, and I put it on my aunt's pc, will her pc need to be activated again with her activation, or will it accept mine, or is there a way to change it to hers?

If she has her own copy of Windows XP that you will be overwriting you can retrieve her product activation key by using this handy utility. That way she doesn't need to know where he disk is or the activation code. Because it is already stored on the hard disk.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

And yes I have done what I have been telling you many times.

If I am giving her my ghost image, do I need to replace her win product code, or can I just leave it as is with mine. I mean will windows force me to use her code because of all the hardware differences in her pc?

That is a good question.

I would retreive her product key and write it down just in case.

Technically you should have your key and she should have hers.

Here is a way to avoid having to call Microsoft for the product activation again. And yes it is legal.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm

Note: The above would only work if reinstalled on the same system, sorry.

Edited by Guest

I would still go with a slipstreamed copy of Windows. It will be a little more upfront headache but less headache on the backend. Plus you can have it prompt you for the activation code and then you don't have to worry about trying to get it or messing with Windows Support to get a key.

Jasper,

In the times you have done this from one pc to a totally different pc, has windows asked you to activate again? And, if so, can you change the product key to the other pc's key? The advice you gave above, are you saying to do that on the other pc first, and then restore it once you apply the image, or on my pc, and then restore that to the other pc?

You will get prompted for an activation code because the hardware that the Windows Install was imaged on is totally different. That's why you want to use the utility to retrieve her original product activation key.

You will be supplied a telephone number on the screen and a string of characters that you need to punch in over the phone to an automated system.

I assume the copy of windows you install will have already been slipstreamed with Service Pack 2. An image of the install is much faster than trying to do the install from scratch.

If your going to only do this once on your aunts computer then you should do what Thomas suggested. If you plan on doing this on a regular basis then going through this process will save you a lot of time on future install on other systems.

If you were doing this on other machines you could just use scripts to do automated unattended installs and not even worry about the time factor.

The product activaton key is usually written on the side of the pc, but the tool will be good if it is not written somewhere. Does it give an option to put in her code manually, or do I have to call every time? When I call I would put in her code and not mine? Won't they notice the difference?

Her activated version of windows has a series of hardware that identifies it uniquely to Microsoft. When her computer accesses the internet and makes contact with Microsoft’s servers they will know that the key embedded in that version of Windows does not belong on that computer.

Because it is your Key and not hers. With your key on her computer Microsoft will be expecting a computer that has the same network MAC address of your network card, etc. to be communicating with their servers.

That is why you will need to go through the product activation process. If this is just for your aunt’s computer I would keep it simple. For doing this to several computers you can use advanced scripting that will take care of all of this.

It's actully more complicated then just the MAC address (which is pretty easy to spoof.) you're also looking at the CPU ID which is harder to spoof.

It's not only my aunt, but my whole family. So far I have done this over 15 times, and it's getting to be a pain. I want to help them, but they don't know the work involved. I would appreciate any scripting help you could offer to make this work. I just want one copy that I can put on all of their computers when it needs to be done that takes no longer than 15-30 minutes. Thank you for all your help. If I am asking too many questions, I understand if you don't have time.

id say buy them all the same mobo, load up windows and the other software, then make an executable Image ... bang, can take 10 minutes to install in the future. There is professional software that does it also. You can take out the serial number if you want to do legal way as well, right in the registry before you burn the image .. buy them each a version of windows so they are all legit.

You can never ask to many questions. I can get tired though.

Here is a link to Microsofts website if you really want to get into the scripting.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/wpadepl.mspx

Your not alone with people asking for help all the time and don't have a clue what is involved or how long it took me to learn everything I know. They don't care. They just want their stuff to work and they know you know how to do it.

the professional software lets you restore the EXE image over the network .. dont know if Ghost does this or now, i remember it wasnt cheap, we just bought a single licence for what we were doing back then.

I will always have a valid product key. Everyone has a legal copy of windows. Do you actually have to speak to someone at microsoft, or is it automated and about how long does it take? Thanks.

It's actully more complicated then just the MAC address (which is pretty easy to spoof.) you're also looking at the CPU ID which is harder to spoof.

That was the etc.

I will always have a valid product key. Everyone has a legal copy of windows. Do you actually have to speak to someone at microsoft, or is it automated and about how long does it take? Thanks.

About 5 minutes if that. It is just one long string of characters you have to copy down or type real fast. Yes you might have to speak to someone. There is a very nice lady who answers the phone.