DataAve

How To Save an Hour (Or More) On XP Installs

That looks like a nice system. I will have to check out that motherboard because it would allow me to use my current AGP card.

I have an expensive AGP card I would like to reuse. I think your right about getting a 939 chip. I'll wait for the next price drop and probably get an X2 3800+ and possibly over clock it. I have seen this chip perform close to the 4800+ over clocked.

I have an Intel P4 2.53Ghz. Just don’t know how much difference I would notice with the 3800X2 processor. Probably notice more from the faster hard disk then most of the stuff I do. Except for Video encoding and editing. I imagine that is where I would notice the biggest difference.

The more I think about this imaging idea the more I don't like it because there are too many variables involved.

Unless you put a copy of the windows install on the hard drive to allow for a speedy install. Then it can go through the proper steps of loading the proper drivers and so forth.

The scripted install would be the best way I think, if you don't want to sit there and watch the install.

What causes windows to realize hardware has changed? Is there a way to trick windows into thinking the hardware has not changed? Is it something in the registry? I remember reading something about enui or something like that?

Are you talking about a slipstream copy with unattended install? If so, how long does that take? If I don't have to do anything, even if it takes 30-45 minutes, that would be ok. I just don't know how to do it. Maybe it's better that way so I don't have to call microsoft all the time. But then I still have to install drivers, but that's not that big of a deal. I am ready to pull my hair out!

It's like Thomas said. Windows will create a unique indentifier which consists of your Machine Address Code on your network card and your CPU and I don't recall off hand what else.

Oh I am sure there is a way to do it. I just haven't researched on how to do it. But if you search Google I am sure you will find something.

Unless these computers are really slow an install should go fairly quickly if the install files are located on the hard drive. You can delete device drivers and such, but if your spending that much time you might as well just do a clean install without having to worry about something you forgot that can cause a conflict of some type by the time your done.

I have done it and got away with it, but it is really not the best and safest way to do it.

A slipstream install is a clean install, right, it just contains all necessary updates?

The slipstream will contain Windows XP with Service Pack 2 together.

After installing you will have a nice clean install.

You then can download all of the security updates since Service Pack 2 came out or let windows do it for you. That way the person who owns the computer can restart the computer or turn if off and the updates will be applied at that time.

This is the way to go if they have a slow interent connection. Let them wait for the downloads.

Do you know how to set up a slipstream that will set itself up with standard generic answers, but yet still ask for the product key? I think I may opt for this way to go.

The slipstream is just a fancy name for combining Windows with Service Pack 2. That's all it is.

Definition of: slipstream

To fix a bug or add enhancements to software without identifying such inclusions by creating a new version number.

As far as the scripting you are going to have to research that part yourself as there are many options and I usually do it manually myself. Unless you do the script perfect it will pause and be waiting for a response.

What Windows is getting this from is the HAL (Hardware abstraction Layer). The HAL takes care of handling the differances between hardware types. (Or why Windows Apps on both X86 and Itanium machines without a recompile. In theory it lets you port Windows to various processors. In reality....not so much.)

The HAL can be reset but it falls under the "bloody PITA" type of work. This is why I think doing a slipstreamed install is going to be less painful in the long run. You can put service packs and patches that have an .EXE on them. But I would just skip patches and do the service packs. Then download the patches. The slipstreamed CD's will be faster then a full Windows install by about twenty mins or so.

The plus side is you can do a slipstreamed CD for each machine so the drivers are done at the time of Windows install.

For those that want to know what makes up the hardware hash:

The following 10 hardware characteristics are used to determine the hardware hash:

• Display adapter

• SCSI adapter

• IDE adapter

• Network adapter media access control address

• RAM amount range (for example, 0-64MB or 64-128MB)

• Processor type

• Processor serial number

• Hard disk device

• Hard disk volume serial number

• CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=302878#5e

thomas,

Can you direct me to somewhere I can learn to make a slipstream windows cd with sp2 that will install itself unattended and the only question it asks it the product code? Thanks.

Here I did the search on Google for you:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slipstreaming+windows+xp+and+service+pack+2

And I think you are going to have to sit there and go through the installation process. It's not that bad. I think it might be a good experience for you to get familar with the process.

This thread has set a new record for replies in this section of the forum.

Thanks Jasper. What do you mean I would have to sit through it? I always sit through it. Usually for 6 hours! That's why I want to automate everything except the key install, because that is the only thing that changes. Thank you for doing the search.

darn all of that ..? I Just use the HDD serial number in my activatio .. plus user name and email. .

Yeah I guess I would want everything to be automated too if it took me 6 hours to install windows.

Maybe it is time to upgrade those computers if it takes that long.

That sounds like way too much time.

I would definitely be searching the web then for as much as you can to help simplify the process.

6 hours? Whew.

4-6 hours after all windows updates, installing all other software, restore old data, and complete tweak.

I think he is just talking about the initial install only.

Once I have my drive imaged with the tweaks done it takes me 15 minutes to put it back to a pristine state. On the DVR.

My personal computer that is another story. No time limit on how long that would take to put everything back after a clean install.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1703

It's how to do an unattended install. This is how the network admins do it without buying four hundred copies of ghost. And it's how Dell puts together thier recovery CDs. There is a text file that generates where the drivers are, what time zone, what optional windows addons are installed (want IIS but not Solitare? Very doable.), what programs are installed after Windows is installed, optional Registry tweaks, etc. All of what takes Rory six hours can be done in an hour from the CD. There is more upfront time needed then ghost but you get a cleaner, more stable result.

yep, was what i was saying, used to take us 10 minutes with Windows ME when i was making Recovery CDs for the systems, when i was building them way back when .. all the same hardware though, but we used a special program that cost some dollars to make the EXE back then ... different now though.

Jasper,

I'm talking about everything... all windows updates, installing all other software, restore old data, and complete tweak. That's what takes about 6 hours, not just the reinstallation. The updates alone from plain xp without sp2 takes almost 2 hours!

Oh, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

I wonder if you can download the common updates for security and put them on a CD to save you some more time on the other installs?

OK, so I timed my install from my image CD yesterday on a new system with a new 250GB HDD.

Hardware specs:

2.66 P4

Intel 915 MOBO

ATI x300 256MB Pci Express Vid Card

250 SATA WD HDD

1GB DDR 400

32 Minutes. From Start to Finish. !!

My image CD includes:

MS XP Pro SP2 and all current updates since then.

MS AntiSpyware

MS Office 2003 Pro

Nero 7.0

ADOBE Acro

Winrar

All codec updates to Win Media Play

Winamp (Divx Codecs)

Power DVD

and probably a few more things.

After image was done, installed Vid Card Driver (ati catalyst) and Sound Drivers (AC97) rebooted a couple of times and thats it. DONE.

Our image CD we use for our PC DVR's only takes about 20 Min start to finish on a 250GB SATA HDD. Its pretty basic..No unness. software.

That's great. That's the type of installs I like.

Now this was an image that was taken from a computer with totally different motherboard etc.?

So basically you just didn't install the display drivers or the sound drivers everything else was okay.

Just curious what image software did you use?