DataAve

How To Save an Hour (Or More) On XP Installs

And this is legal, right? I don't want to go to jail! Will I actually talk to a person, or just an automated voice?

Maybe both, been a little while since I last did this. I think you deal with an automated system first which gives you a code then you get connected to a real person who gives you another code after you tell her your code. I think. I am so confused.

I try to call Microsoft as little as possible.

Help me Mr. Wizard. Anyone remember for sure?

The important part is that it is no big deal. The first time I did it I was like damn that is a lot of digits. But no problem as long as you have them right.

You will be giving authentic product codes right? You wouldn't go to jail, they would just deactivate that copy of windows on that machine. They go after the big pirates.

The product codes would be valid. I will use their valid product code. I read that article you posted above. It makes it sound like you do not have to call, just reactivate via the internet. They say to reboot and it will ask you to activate via the net. Is that right?

Well #1 i have Service Pack 1 and an OEM version ... the rest ill leave up to your imagination

gotcha. Hey, about how much time will I save by doing the ghost method as opposed to a slipstream? It seems like a lot, depending on if I have to call microsoft and how long the call takes.

You slipstream a copy of Windows together with Service Pack 2. Then you use this as your install disk. So it is two separate processes.

It saves you the time of installing the Service pack separately.

And if you read that you can activate over the internet that is one less hassle. I usually have to call if I start swapping in and out many parts out of a computer.

does anyone know of a legal way of not having to reactivate a copy of windows when there are a lot of hardware changes?

When you call microsoft, do you tell them who you are? If I call in 2 times in one month,and they want to know who I am, won't they think something is up?

Rory, I don't think that will work when a bunch of hardware changes have occurred because I believe they are tracked by Microsoft through an internet connection.

Could be wrong, but don't know for sure..

i normally format once a month so activation like that wont work for me .. i guess its almost time for linux hey ..

You dont need Internet to install winblows though ...

the only update i ever go as far as is SP2, everything after that is just not that important to me ..

Edited by Guest

When you call microsoft, do you tell them who you are? If I call in 2 times in one month,and they want to know who I am, won't they think something is up?

No. They don't care who you are. They just want that number and that's it.

I have had to call 2-3 times in a month on one computer before. No problem. They know I have just changed the hardware so much I have tripped the reactivation process.

You dont need Internet to install winblows though ...

the only update i ever go as far as is SP2, everything after that is just not that important to me ..

You need to have an internet connection to activate if you don't call microsoft or it will expire in 30 days I believe, maybe less.

Can't remember the exact number of days you get.

I've been up all night so I am losing it. Got the CRS disease coming on strong.

Yeah I wouldnt know, never had to activate windows, yet.

but i dont build PCs for a living ..

I feel like I do build pcs for a living. It takes me about 6 hours every time. Minimum.

I don't build PC's for a living either. I have built them and I can build them, but I don't want to build them. I usually build them if I want an exact mix of parts, but some companies are doing this now for you.

I spend much more time than 6 hours studying on what I want to get then I have somebody else build it.

I like PC builders that allow you to customize every aspect of your system. I have been looking at Monarch computers as they appear to do this, but am considering other companies as well.

This is for my next personal system. Think I am going AMD this time.

The OEM copies (From major OEMs, not the OEM copies you can by from Newegg) and Corp copies do not require activation. Normally it's just a matter of clicking on activate. If the Key has been used in the past you usually have to call. It's a bloody pain in the rear for test machines. You get 30 days to activate it.

Kind of a fun story. So the day the Slammer worm hit my net connection went down. (SBC's network was hammered) so I decide to finish building the machine I had been working on. I get to the activate Windows step and I give them a call to activate it. They couldn't do it for me. Apparently MS was hit with the slammer worm internally in the activation centers. From talking to some friends in Redmond it took down the majority of all of thier network.

I just built an AMD machine for myself, it was the first time I built a machine from the ground up and it took me about 3 hours.. it was alright except for all those little wires to connect to the motherboard, blah.. but I'd definately do it again.. I'd even do that for a job if I could, I liked it

I am starting to hesitate now because AMD just announced the end of the socket 939 CPUs. The next chips released will be for the new M2 socket.

I found one motherboard that will accept a 939 CPU and allows for a daughter card to be installed later for the M2 CPU’s insuring an upgrade path for the motherboard. It also allows you to run an AGP card or a PCI express video card.

What CPU did you opt for?

AMD Athlon 64 939 3500 Venice processor, 2 gigs of Patriot DDR Ram, MSI motherboard w/ AGP, PCI and PCI express slots, ASUS 128 bit graphics card, western digital 74 gig 10,000 RPM SATA HD

maybe 939 would still be a good way to go because maybe the current ones already produced will go cheap, plus when it gets time to switch out a processor, putting in an extra 50 - 75 bucks for a motherboard wouldn't be too bad, and you get to upgrade your motherboard