ocdchris

Here's a fun one.....what have you caught on camera?

Hey guys. I thought this would be fun and help me get to know you guys better.

So I have had CCTV for a few years. This is what I caught on tape:

1: Hot tub repair guy taking a leak in my driveway.

2: Roofer backing his trailer into my BBQ, and denying it

3: Punk rummaging thru my workshop for 10 minutes!! (no arrest made)

4: 3 drunk kids taking a short cut thru my back yard and loosing a shoe in my garden. Lol

5: A truck circling my street before stealing my neighbors tractor.

6: A punk stealing change out of my car.

I'm sure there's more but these are the ones that come to mind.

Cheers.

Chris

feel free to post the footage...

here are some of mine, none of them are very good quality.

man having a piss in the ally (the camera was not even fully installed, it had only been connected for about 10 mins.

tw-t06gLQaw

cats having a scrap:

j_gU-pHCkHQ

bug crawling on CCTV camera

G2HRe_-UOeM

and lots more which won't be shared till i blank out the street names from the footage.

feel free to subscribe to my youtube account

Edited by Guest

I got 2 cops and a German shepherd in my backyard, looking for somebody.

they stayed there for a minute and then left. The dog jumped over the fence.

Almost a year into having cameras up, this is the only interesting thing-

LvigejLKkow

Tell you the truth, I'd rather have uneventful stuff anyway. Calm and boring- a good thing to find on your cameras.

1. A teenage citrus thief doing doing a "pick and run" from my neighbors grapefruit trees. Doesn't seem to be an ongoing issue, so I didn't really tell anyone.

2. A street fight, which included my neighbors son, wherein he beat the tar out of a guy who rides his motorcycle too fast down our street and near their children. Because the video implicated the neighbor's son as the primary aggressor, and because I wish to remain at peace with my neighbor, and because I felt like the motorcyclist probably deserved it, I didn't share my video tape with the police.

weve caught smurfs walking thru the road

184825_1.jpg

184825_2.jpg

and sparrow hawks in the garden

plus a fox out on the drive footpath

sparrowhawk.jpg.744aaeafb265a2157f4424496ee0ad38.jpg

bird.JPG.52ae332a52a117b06699a1959a23b321.JPG

fox1.JPG.9e4b1db0209fb706e0ecf851af9bceaf.JPG

Smurf's! Lock thread down! We have a winner! " title="Applause" /> That can't be beat unless this thread strays from it's Disney rating.

Found 7 or 8 bags of trash, mostly yard waste, down at the end of our cul-de-sac one day. Checked the cameras...

Truck comes down to the end of our cul-de-sac loaded with garbage bags...

184838_1.jpg

184838_2.jpg

And leaves without them...

184838_3.jpg

184838_4.jpg

Fortunately, he was nice enough to make his plate visible...

184838_5.jpg

This guy left a mattress behind...

184838_6.jpg

184838_7.jpg

Unfortunately the plate cam was offline at the time.

Awesome guys!!! Thanks,,

Hey Soundy, what kinda cameras and recording level are you using? Awesome picture. I just upgraded my DVR to a digimerge DH230. I will be able to record D1@15fps on all channels.....

The truck pics are all 1.3MP IQEye IQ511 cameras, one with a 7-70mm lens, the other with a 2.5-7mm lens. Don't remember offhand what framerate I had set at the time. Note that they're resized for the board - click the picture to load the popup viewer, then click the arrows in the bottom-right to view it full-size and full resolution.

Resolution is more important that framerate most of the time anyway.

See, that's the thing I don't understand. I just picked up a new camera to try. 600tvl. I was so impressed with the picture that I got 4 more to replace my old cameras.

I thought 600tvl was pretty high res but it's not is it? Are mega pixel cams the new thing? I don't know much about them. Thx

With analog video, your maximum resolution is limited by the video standard. NTSC color video is 525 lines max, 486 visible. Anything over that is essentially wasted. Analog scan lines don't have horizontal "resolution" as such, but the analog-to-digital converter still has to sample it at a fixed horizontal pixel size; D1 is 720x480 pixels sampling resolution, equivalent to a little over 0.34MP.

The IQ511 is 1.3MP, or 1280x1024 pixels. To overcome the limitations of analog video transmission, most of them are network-based cameras - they simply plug into the network and send streaming video, similar to, say, YouTube. You use an NVR (network video recorder) or hybrid DVR to receive and record the video stream.

Currently, 2MP, 3MP, and 5MP are the most common resolutions, but there are surveillance cameras available that do up to 29MP. See some other samples here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322

Ok cool. I figured it out. I was doing some reading online and clearly the ip cams are the future. I see a problem at my place because I have 20mb download speeds but only 1mb upload. That could be a problem if I had a few ip cams and tried to use my Internet as well. Still, the high res of the ip cams is really cool.

They are pricey but I'm sure that will come down as they gain market share over analogue.

With analog video, your maximum resolution is limited by the video standard. NTSC color video is 525 lines max, 486 visible. Anything over that is essentially wasted. Analog scan lines don't have horizontal "resolution" as such, but the analog-to-digital converter still has to sample it at a fixed horizontal pixel size; D1 is 720x480 pixels sampling resolution, equivalent to a little over 0.34MP.

The IQ511 is 1.3MP, or 1280x1024 pixels. To overcome the limitations of analog video transmission, most of them are network-based cameras - they simply plug into the network and send streaming video, similar to, say, YouTube. You use an NVR (network video recorder) or hybrid DVR to receive and record the video stream.

Currently, 2MP, 3MP, and 5MP are the most common resolutions, but there are surveillance cameras available that do up to 29MP. See some other samples here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322

ip cams are the future. I see a problem at my place because I have 20mb download speeds but only 1mb upload. That could be a problem if I had a few ip cams and tried to use my Internet as well

hi. it will not effect your internet. there just on your local network.

My understanding was that they were uploaded and saved on a hosting site. Is that correct? Or can you also have them saved to a local HDD ?

My understanding was that they were uploaded and saved on a hosting site. Is that correct? Or can you also have them saved to a local HDD ?

hi saved to local HDD or hybrid or NVR. you can run IP without internet.

These are High School kids walking home after a football game one Friday night as I was out walking around the yard. They spotted me watching them so the boy demonstrated his might in front of the girls.

Capture.JPG.ccc3dbb579f90e4b8c21eb8247bc127d.JPG

Almost all of those services you see, aside from the expensive commercial-grade ones that require a super-high-bandwidth connection, are designed for use with low-resolution, low-quality IP cameras (usually VGA-resolution cameras, 640x480, even lower than D1).

Remember, "IP" does not necessarily equate to "megapixel" - it just means it's a network camera.

As I said up above, and as tom reiterated, IP cameras are most often recorded locally, either to a network drive, an NVR, or a hybrid DVR.

Here are a couple examples of analog and IP cameras (again, both 1.3MP IQ511s), all recorded on the same Vigil hybrid DVR:

Cheap dome recording CIF resolution:

cheap_cam1-1.jpg

IQ511 1.3MP (dome is in bottom-left corner of the frame - click for full-resolution view):

good_cam1-1.jpg

Same model mini-dome, recorded at D1:

possmallJPG-1.jpg

And IQ511 mounted right beside it:

poslargeJPG-1.jpg

Well, this is relevant: Hope I'm not dredging up, seems this thread is rather new...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRknh0K6ww

Happened today at 3:42AM! I was sleeping, jumped out of bed and thought a bomb had gone off...! Turns out it was gigantic strike, probably within 100yards of our house. Fortunately no fires... But I think you can hear a tree falling in the background. We live in rather forest-y area so lots of big oaks around to get hit.