commandcenter1

monitor ? optimal size

Hi

Id like some advice on what size monitor to use with my system. Id like to have the images very sharp and clear especially when i click on the screen to enlarge one of the specific cameras to go into full screen mode if there something is happening, without the image being pixelated and grainy. The camera store has a 40" monitor for display various cameras they had. but when you enlarged the image its wasnt very crisp and lacked detail.

my cameras are all 700 TVL with sony effio version one chips

I picked up a samsung 720p monitor 32". I can return it if its too big and wont fit my needs. My biggest concern is having a real sharp clean image when I enlarge a viewing area for a particular camera i want to pull up.

any suggestions on what will meet my needs?

thanks

hi. before you change monitors not only camera res but you also need a good resolution from your DVR.

how are you putting the video feed to your monitor. ??? also which dvr do you have. is it D1 or cif.

hi

i have a 16 channel GE dvr. im going to set it to d1 resolution on all channels

right now i have 9 cameras to work with, i may add more in future

Size isn't a factor so much as resolution. D1 is 720x480, so in theory, a monitor that has 720x480 physical pixels will give you the clearest picture if you view the camera fullscreen; otherwise, the monitor will try to "stretch" the image to fill the screen.

You'll find few if any LCD displays that are over 1920x1080, mainly because that's the maximum needed for 1080p HDTV. Bigger screens just mean bigger pixels; the main advantage is viewing at a greater distance.

If you want clearer images than that, you need to go to higher-resolution cameras...

CIF vs. 1.3MP (click the second picture to see full resolution):

cheap_cam1-1.jpg

good_cam1-1.jpg

Camera TVL is (mostly) irrelevant. The cameras are being digitized at 720x480 (for D1). 720x480 being stretched to 1280x720 means it's being resized 1.7778 times horizontally and 1.5 times vertically - neither is going to resize without artifacts. It's going to look like crap no matter how you slice it.

I must be easy to please. I have a 19" wide screen monitor and everything looks excellent. And when you open a channel up full screen it still looks great, details don't fall apart, and it's LARGE. How much larger do you really need at that point, if you want detail and not just a big old view from across the room or office? I would maybe try a 23" but that's it. A 32" screen is a TV, in my book. Not for cctv viewing, imo. YMMV.

Simple fact is, a bigger TV won't automatically give you more clarity or detail. It's all about the resolution, and in the case of the TV, the actual physical pixels. A 1080p 20" TV/monitor will be sharper than a 720p 20" TV/monitor, period.

Most give you resolution choices anyway, so it becomes a matter of preference at that point too. Pick the best setting and roll with it. But if it means getting a large screen only to need a lower resolution to see a decent picture, therefore not utilizing the whole screen anyway...why bother having the large screen. It's the same thing with TV viewing too. In my bedroom where the bed is a ways from the TV, I choose 640x480 res and stretch it just to keep all channels and programming full screen to the 42" screen. I sacrifice high res for that. Other TV's in the house I don't. It's really what floats your boat, personally. Pick a resolution. They should all be an option in a good monitor to try.

Or maybe...I'm not listening either!

so what size monitor would work best than 23"?

I want the full screen shots to be crisp and clear

Buy 7'' DVD screen from Best Buy

then spent 30 min on Google and read about resolution

by the way it's google.com

I use a 32" samsung LED TV as my CCTV monitor. It is a bit grainy when viewing one camera. However, most of the time I have the DVR set to display 4 cameras. I'm using the DVR's VGA output (1280x1024). It looks great with the 4 cameras displayed.

Monitors are like hard disk drives, the bigger, the better. I say 82" should do it, it will be sharp and clear.

187567_1.jpg

With a screen like this CSIs can see murderers reflected on the victim eye.

thanks Jack

ill probably stick with my 32". viewing 4 at a time would probably look pretty decent

i just cant see my self looking at 19 inch or 22 inch id think the image may be to small