tutech

License Plate Camera Situation and Recommendation

I need some advice to either fine-tune the setup that I've got to actually serve my purpose or a recommendation on what to purchase to serve my purpose of being able to record and then read license plate numbers of the vehicles entering my campus.

What I have right now is a Bosch REG-X Close Plate Range Camera (http://products.boschsecurity.us/en/TAMS/products/bxp/SKU17317619312955182603-CATMd022b8847d22b4aca87441305c8fb37c) recording to a Digital Watchdog Max HD 16 channel 1 TB DVR (http://www.techcctv.com/sixteench191.html). The camera is 500 TVL B/W with a capture range of 15 to 25 feet with an optimal range of 20 feet. The DVR is H.264 D1 resolution that I have set for this camera's channel to record in 704x480 resolution (the maximum) at 30fps (the maximum) with the highest video quality setting (the maximum). The camera is mounted on a pole approximately 48 inches off the ground and about 30 inches above the average license plate height. The license plates are a moving target (some faster than others due to the speed bump and impending stop sign ahead) but do certainly pass through the optimal camera view range. When viewing the live camera feed I can usually but not always read an entire license plate number, but when viewing recorded footage I can really only make out maybe 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 10. I've also got a real complaint about the camera's night viewing ability, as it has infrared LEDs built-in around the lens that I confirmed with my cellphone camera are functional but they do not help out nighttime viewing whatsoever - night view on that channel is completely black even when a car goes by.

Sadly, on several occasions I have needed to get a license plate number to the police and this setup has failed to produce that all but one time. Most occasions were during daylight and one or two were at night.

I'm wondering if there is any adjustment or tuning that I can try to do to my current setup to get this working well for capturing license plates... and if not then what recommendation do all you experts have on replacement equipment that could capture readable plates?

I've looked at the manual for this Bosch camera and it doesn't seem to have any way to make picture, focus or any adjustments whatsoever. The manual is here: http://products.boschsecurity.us/en/TAMS/products/bxp/SKU17317619312955182603-CATMd022b8847d22b4aca87441305c8fb37c

I've looked at the manual for the Digital Watchdog DVR and it provides for some adjustable settings and I think I've tuned them all as well as I could by setting the record resolution to the highest (704x480), the frame rate to the highest (30), and the video quality setting to the highest. It almost seems as if the camera may be capable (by watching the live view) but the DVR is degrading the video when it gets recorded by compression so that I can't read the numbers on playback but I'm not positive about that.

If I can't adjust what I have, would I need a new camera with adjustable settings and a different field of view, a new DVR with a higher FPS or recording resolution, or both?

Satellite view of the layout:

194316_1.jpg

cars drive along the direction of the white arrow and slow down to roll over the speed bump that I've outlined with a red rectangle before coming to a stop sign just 1 car length beyond the speed bump. The camera I've highlighted with a red circle and laid out its approximate field of view in the lightened section of the driveway.

The camera from the back:

194316_2.jpg

The camera from the front:

194316_3.jpg

Here's car #1 that I'm trying to get a license plate number off of (the clouds had just shifted to cover the sun but this is daytime):

194316_4.jpg

Here's car #2 that I'm trying to get a license plate number off of (the clouds had just shifted to cover the sun but this is daytime):

194316_5.jpg

Here's a van/RV that is a good example of the "best" that I can hope for out of my setup, this is daytime and the sun is shining brightly without cloud cover:

194316_6.jpg

Thank you all for taking the time to lend me your expertise! It is very much appreciated!

I have used those cameras on several occasions and they flat out work even at night.

I would say you could possibly have a defective camera or like you said there is something going on with the DVR.

Those tags should really pop. Even more so at night.

I'll see if I can pull you some samples tonight when I get home.

9 days and 110 views of this thread and nobody has anything constructive to suggest?

I'm disappointed, I thought this was the place to go to speak directly to the experts.

Return the camera. It is defective. License plates at that range are trivially easy to capture with IR. Those plates should be practically glowing at night.

I would have to guess a faulty camera as well. You have made that dvr channel record the best it can, but have you looked at the display settings for that channel? Brightness & contrast are the two to look at and adjust if needed. Also check to see if hue & saturation are out of whack as well. You should try to put another camera on that line temporarily and check if it behaves properly. You mention the live view is fine. Is it also fine at night with the IR's on? Is there suffient power going to the camera when the IR's are on? Also try a different channel in the dvr and see if the results are different.

Hi reg-x cams are a very basic close range setup. first you do not need D1 cif is best for these cameras.

also with using CIF you should keep that camera channel on 24hr record.

if you use D1 and any thing like motion you will not get a plate.

my guess would be that the camera is not getting enough voltage.

i have had cameras giving similar video outputs and the problem turned out to be big voltage loss.

http://video.boschsecurity.us/video/REG-X-Close-Range-License-Plate-Camera/63f729e6d9b85b4d7488aee1c642b62d

The image should be blacked out and there are no adjustments. If you followed the distance and angle and it looks like you did then you have another issue.

Check voltage to camera.

I recomend 24 Volt power supply you can go 28 volt on longer runs. If the camera has been running at low voltage it might be damaged beyond repair.

Check connection on coax

it should be 1 volt peak to peak

If your live image looks good and your recorded image is poor then you most likley have an issue with the recorder.

upgrade to this if your recorder is bad. This is a very basic but solid recorder with remote view options. Set it to 2CIF, 15IPS, Best res.

DVR‑451‑04A050

I would also add a color camera so if youo do miss the plate you have an image of the car. This is a good camera for the money.

VDI-245V03-2

If you cant get a second wire out to the camera location you can use a dual video over coax solution like this.

http://www.foresight-cctv.com/VDS.htm

http://www.ipconfigure.com/support_documentation/datasheets-brochures/LPR-Data-v1.pdf

You could always upgrade to this system. The software was invented on a college campus here in VA. This is a color camera not an IR system so you need white light to capture plates at night. This is usually a long term goal for campuses. I have a few colleges that I work with and we are working towards this as a campus wide system. I only put this on here to show what technology is out there. I talk to IT or maintenance directors all the time who have had security thrown in their lap with no budget or plan.

Hi. nothing wrong with the camera ..... its just not in its working range. the hight of the camera is ok but the Reg-x only has a max view of 19 feet. you are well past that.

195719_1.jpg

then you also have another problem. as seen here. not only is the plate out of range you are also trying to capture as it is being moved up and down with the vehicle moving over the speed bump.

195719_2.jpg

and also like said before CIF is best for these cameras at max fps and not on motion

Generally those LPR cameras filter out visible light and only allow IR light in. It looks like the IR is not bouncing back off the plates from the emitters.

Try this. Take a plate off a car and walk in front of the camera holding the plate at different distances and see if the plate reflects the IR light.

In Aus we have some custom plates that are non-reflective and I get a similar image, but on normal plates they glow even in the day time

I think the IR LED does not emit strong enough beams out to have them bounced off of the plates.

I once saw a demo by Pixim for the same solution and I jumped out of my seat, utterly amazed! That camera clearly showed the outlines of the objects and also the alphanumeric characters. Here's a link:

http://www.pixim.com/assets/files/product_and_tech/Eclipse%20Product%20Brief_Sept_2008.pdf

I would have thought that these Bosch cameras would function in the similar fashion as the pixim one.... no?

Try bringing the camera closer to the point where the plates are taken. It may be that the IR LEDs may be too weak and too far from the field of view.

Capture.jpg.287b617a320d3d1226ad0e9d27c5e7a1.jpg

I had a chance to check the voltage on the power wires getting out to the camera and they read 26 volts AC, so a little out of spec when the camera calls for either 12vDC, 24vDC or 24vAC but nothing that should cause a serious problem. I did verify that the IR LEDs do illuminate by looking through my cell phone camera. I still need to try adjusting the resolution of the channel on the DVR, but I'd like to side with mitchrocks in thinking that max res. and max fps is likely what's needed to capture the plates. For the record, this channel has (and none of my channels ever have) been set to motion recording, they are on capture all the time. I also don't feel that the camera is too far away according to the Bosch specifications of between 15 and 25 feet - the plates travel in view of the camera directly within that range and are not captured sufficiently.

I'll report back when I've tried adjusting the resolution of the channel to CFS instead of D1. I will also try the suggestion of taking a plate off a car and walking it around in front of the camera at different distances and heights to see how it fares.

Thank you to everyone for their attention and suggestions.

I had a chance to check the voltage on the power wires getting out to the camera and they read 26 volts AC, so a little out of spec when the camera calls for either 12vDC, 24vDC or 24vAC but nothing that should cause a serious problem. I did verify that the IR LEDs do illuminate by looking through my cell phone camera. I still need to try adjusting the resolution of the channel on the DVR, but I'd like to side with mitchrocks in thinking that max res. and max fps is likely what's needed to capture the plates. For the record, this channel has (and none of my channels ever have) been set to motion recording, they are on capture all the time. I also don't feel that the camera is too far away according to the Bosch specifications of between 15 and 25 feet - the plates travel in view of the camera directly within that range and are not captured sufficiently.

I'll report back when I've tried adjusting the resolution of the channel to CFS instead of D1. I will also try the suggestion of taking a plate off a car and walking it around in front of the camera at different distances and heights to see how it fares.

Thank you to everyone for their attention and suggestions.

Good Luck!

Generally those LPR cameras filter out visible light and only allow IR light in. It looks like the IR is not bouncing back off the plates from the emitters.

Try this. Take a plate off a car and walk in front of the camera holding the plate at different distances and see if the plate reflects the IR light.

In Aus we have some custom plates that are non-reflective and I get a similar image, but on normal plates they glow even in the day time

^this

CA issues highly reflective plates which normally glow like beacons under my IR illuminator. However, some older CA plates don't reflect IR well, and the plate area appears very similar to the OP's pictures. And the license plates from some states don't show up at all - the license plate area appears completely blank. If the OP lives in one of those states which issues non-reflective plates, he's basically hosed.

Plates where I am are non reflective, or at least not like other states I've lived in. Worse yet, they are totally flat and not stamped like they used to be so there is not even ridges to try and make out. Dumbest plates ever.

One of the plates now has two small letters stacked over each other, then normal sized letters. Instantly made it 5 times harder to get the whole plate number. Not a fan.

Plates where I am are non reflective, or at least not like other states I've lived in. Worse yet, they are totally flat and not stamped like they used to be so there is not even ridges to try and make out. Dumbest plates ever.

Yep, Nevada has plates like that, and I think I've seen some newer Texas plates like that also. I wonder what police, toll road operators, and others ANPR users om those states do to read those plates at night?