DarrenThor

32 IP Cameras in one premise

Hi,

I have to deploy a total number of 32 IP Cameras in a single location.

But I am afraid that the number of IP Cameras will congest the network.

Currently, the company has an existing switch for its operation.

I'm planning to lay new cat5e cables for all of the cameras, then use two new 24port switches for the IP Cameras.

The current switch and 2 new 24 port switch with be uplinked. Then connected to the company's router.

I've never installed IP cameras before, but I've asked around and my friends told me that as long as I am using separate switch, the processing will be done by the new switches, so it won't congest the network.

Is this system stable, or is there any other way to deploy the solution?

Hi,

I'm planning to lay new cat5e cables for all of the cameras, then use two new 24port switches for the IP Cameras.

The current switch and 2 new 24 port switch with be uplinked. Then connected to the company's router.

I've never installed IP cameras before, but I've asked around and my friends told me that as long as I am using separate switch, the processing will be done by the new switches, so it won't congest the network.

Very easy to do with 2 network cards on server

Hi, I'm actually using a NVR instead of network card.

Is the installation method the same as network card?

plz be specific

What NVR ? (Brand name ?)

can u add second NIC ?

My apologies, I am actually using 32 cameras, mixture of Dahua's HFW3200 and HDB3200.

NVR wise, I am using 2 Dahua NVR3816.

Hi,

I would recommend setting up an entirely different network so that one does not interfere with another. But if you have no choice but to do this, then I would first setup a mock 32 channel system and monitor its traffic size.

You have not given us as to what resolution and transmission rate you'd be using, so I would actually set up the system as desired and see how it fares. Then compare the traffic size and the traffic size of the IP camera system, add them up and see if your routers and switches have been PROVEN to SUSTAIN the calculated traffic.

I can tell you from personal experience that once you tap into the existing network and setup your surveillance system, you WILL BE BLAMED for everything that goes wrong from the IT department. And yes, it does affect each other somewhat. I can tell you many horror stories involving an IP system gone wrong involving hospitals and some of the most well known household electronics manufacturer brand when they were sharing the same network structure... Just not safe.

From your description, it sounds like the system will be on a separate network, but I'd use a router to uplink the two networks...

Keep in mind that you are installing a security system, which has to be fail-safe, or as close to fail-safe as possible. If any of the regular company network stuff has anything critical, then I would stay away from the existing network.

Good luck!

TipoFloe is right. You will get blamed for everything on the network. If you are not using dedicated switch use a VLAN on the company switch to keep your traffic separate.

Other thing is, dont use any plug and play settings. Use all static ips that will keep your broadcast traffic down to a minimum.

I agree with the previous comments. No matter what happens with the network from now on, you will be the one blamed. Put the cameras on a seperate network and request they have a wide-band internet service installed with Static IP. Also make sure the 3216 NVR's have the latest firmware on them, it should be June 2012. With the new firmware you could set up all the Dahua IPC for 720p @ 15 fps.

Yes always install a dedicated network.

BUT THAT IS THE LEAST OF YOUR PROBLEMS lucky someone knows dahua products.

you are using a network recorder but your going to use SDI cameras as well as IP ???? not with that recorder

also 32 cameras (2mp) with 2 recorders is only going to give you D1 recordings. so your customer is paying for 2mp cameras but your just giving them the next stage up from analog

if your going to sell megapixel at least sell products that get you there. infact if you do some work around the forum and look at other IP recording methods you will find better and in your case cheaper. in your setup the recorder is a very weak point.