xl

realtime motion notification over ip: I give up *help*

Hi gang!

During the past two weeks I have been testing PC based DVR solutions with motion detection and notification options. I am talking Digi-Watcher, go1984 and lots of other low-end stuff.

I am looking for software which offers this feature: as soon as motion is detected, I should be notificated directly over the internet by a remote client that gets triggered by the server to play a sound file. With such a feature, I can be notificated acoustically at home as soon as a camera at the company detects motion.

I thought this was easy. In these modern times, where nearly everybody is using instant messengers like MSN, such a feature is NOT to be found in PC based PVR solutions. Notification is mostly done by e-mail or ftp upload, which are no serious candidates to solve my 'simple' problem.

I thought I was getting close with LuxRiot, since this software offers the remote and local clients with the same features. But guess what: NO notification options at all!

My question: which software can do? Any useful replies will be friendly acknowledged!

Regards,

Axel

(Holland, Europe)

Yes that is correct.

GeoVison CenterV software will allow motion events to trigger a log entry with the date and time of the motion detected. In addition a video attachment can be sent for review.

The length of the video and the interval of how often an attachment is sent are adjustable as well.

A live picture of the camera can be seen also, which can also stay on for just the length of the motion or stay on all the time.

Depending on your bandwidth you would configure the software appropriately.

You can also just have motion triggered to send images to email or ftp, with Geo and most other DVR cards.

Thank you for your input. I will take a closer look at the Geovision software.

Do you think Geovision is the only solution? Or are there any more cheap solutions?

Axel

Yeah there is. For home security you can get a small Chihuahua like I have that doesn’t eat much or do the other thing much either. And he lets me know if anyone/s around. Plus if I am gone ten minutes he acts like I’m publishers clearing house with a check for ten million dollars for him.

Than there are those $15 dollar wireless enunciators you can get to let you know someone is around.

Or you can go really cheap and just buy the window stickers that say you have video surveillance.

But seriously you’re right. The more security that is needed, the more money, plain and simple.

If you're using the motion detection feature of the DVR just be aware that not only people movement will trigger it. Unless the camera is monitoring a stable view, like an internal passage with no windows to the outside, it may generate all sorts of nuisance alarms from cars, feral cats and the like. Even the settings offered to counter this may degenerate its usefulness and purpose. Maybe use the alarm inputs instead with a beam or PIR for certain camera points. This will promote better confidence in the system in that you actually have genuine people movement triggering an alarm.