34Ford

Computer to DVR?

Is it possible to connect my computer directly to my standalone dvr with a cat5 crossover and see it in windows?

Or is this not necessary?

Im not sure if you have to see it in windows networking before you can access it thru my dvr software.

Dennis

Put a router inline and then you can see the standalone on your PC if it suports network function and you can assign it a router IP address.

Scottj

Assign the DVR and your PC the same Gateway, same Subnet, and set seperate IPs within the same range, connect the cat5 from your PC to your DVR's network slot, then you can connect to it using the Client Software provided for the DVR, using the IP you set up in the DVR.

I best show you what I have so this want take so long.

In my computer in networking properties I have these components installed.

Client for Microsoft Networks

Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet adapter

IPX/SPX compatable protocol

NetBEUI

TCP/IP

And in the DVR it has these settings.

IP 1.1.1.1

Subnet mask 255.0.0.0

gateway 0.0.0.0

port 80

And it also has DDNS settings, but they are for more than 1 dvr I think.

Now do I go into my computer and open TCP/IP and set the IP to manual and enter,

IP address 1.1.1.2

subnet 255.0.0.0

gateway 0.0.0.0

WNS and DNS are disabled.

Whew. I know someone will see an error in this.

If you are just connecting one computer to you DVR and you have nothing else on your network then set your DVR to

IP 10.0.0.2

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Set your Computer to

IP 10.0.0.3

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Then it all should work..

If you want it to be able to be accesed outside you will need a router and you may need to port forward some ports.

If you have other things on your network then the settings will be the same as the first example however, you must make sure all the other computrers have different numbers (last digit)

The IPs can be different, just an example:

DVR:

IP 192.168.1.200

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

port 80

PC: TCP/IP Properties:

IP address 192.168.1.201

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

To test it out, Command Prompt:

Telnet 192.168.1.200 80

(thats a space inbetween "Telnet" IP and port)

If it connects, it will clear the screen and should be a blank screen

Then just X out of Command Prompt.

Then using the browser or client software, if the client softare uses port 80, or the DVR has browser based software and it is enabled, then you should be able to connect and stream video. Also really depends on the DVR.

Once you get the IP info in the DVR and if you are still having issues, PM me a VNC connection login and I'll check it out for you.

Rory

but ofcourse

actually ive only done this a few times when i need to connect to something out in the field, from my laptop, where it didnt have a router, some of the GE StoreSafes we have out there are connected directly to the internet. $100 for a linksys router here, if they have them in stock

Rory

You can always use a switch, but if your gonna do NIC to NIC you need a crossover cable. You'll get nothing with a regular patch cable.

Well guys I went and bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Dont need wireless, but it has 30 bucks of rebates so its cheaper than a non-wireless.

So I proceeded to hook it up. I knew how, but for some freeking reason I hooked the cables up bassackards. And can you believe it took me 4 hours to find it. Unbelievable.

Well it was 11 pm lastnight when I found that so maybe this evening I can make some progress.

Well ya know, I would have needed the router or a switch anyway, so what was I thinking.

The IPs can be different, just an example:

DVR:

IP 192.168.1.200

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

port 80

PC: TCP/IP Properties:

IP address 192.168.1.201

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

To test it out, Command Prompt:

Telnet 192.168.1.200 80

(thats a space inbetween "Telnet" IP and port)

If it connects, it will clear the screen and should be a blank screen

Then just X out of Command Prompt.

Rory

I dont freeking believe it Rory. I entered your IP address into my dvr and then entered the ip you showed above into a dos window and it did like you said.

So I opened up Firefox and typed that address into it and its showing my dvr model and software version and link to http://www.unimo.co.kr/

So I am assuming I finally have a connection. Yehaaaaaaaaw! I think it was your 192 ip address that did it. I believe the 192 is for LAN use according to the Networking 101 Thomas posted.

Okay, this is thru the router, lets see what else I can do now.

IP addresses that start with 10. and 192. are known as non routable addresses and are used for private use such as what you are trying to do. These addresses are not intended to be accessed from the internet.

This article written by Thomas is a good one regarding networking.

I wish I would have had access to an article like this when I fist started out.

Check it out if you if you would like.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1048