buellwinkle

2 1080P IR Bullets at Costco for 349

That is one of the problems without setting up proper ir if you need it. If i use ir built into the cam, i prefer smart/intelligent ir..

The hik has smart IR on the setup menu, but I haven't been able to figure out what it does. Probably should send an email to support and see what they say.

This is definitely a tradeoff with the trend toward powerful IR - it reaches a lot further, but overexposes like crazy up close, and the cam's exposure control is often either too slow at responding or not good at responding to relatively small areas that are very bright.

IR, like all light, drops in intensity with the square of the distance, so twice as far away gives 1/4 the illumination. This is why long distance IR is so bright up close.

If I stand right in front of a cam with strong IR and fill the view, it will usually auto-adjust to a good exposure, but this can take 5-10 seconds depending on the cam, so that's not good for someone walking or running past.

The other solution is to disable on-board IR and use external illumination - either IR or motion lights. Some cams (like Dahua) won't let you disable on-board IR without unplugging it, and the Hik bullets only disable it when you switch to day mode, which lets out external IR. My Vivoteks let you change day/night mode and IR on/off independently, which is nice.

ordered myself 6 of these cameras to play around with, i had some dahua cameras that while satisfactory in testing hfw-2100 and hdw-2100, i felt that the lack of support to be really disturbing, its almost as if the product came out and its dead in terms of support.

will definitely be interesting to play with the swann cameras, i currently have a logitech alert system that will finally get replaced, and 2 geovision ptzs up, have 3 more geovision cameras to install, then will install 6 swanns for a 11 camera setup. running synology surveillance station right now.

Do I need a PoE for the Swann Cameras?

The Swann has an input for 12Vdc, so you can run from a power supply or POE. I don't think they come with a power supply, though.

They run 6W or so, so you'd need 0.6A for each cam. I always use power supplies with lots of overhead in power, as inexpensive Chinese supplies tend to die early when run too close to their spec.

Anyone power this up with their Synology Surveillance Station app? If so, did you use Hikvision as a brand and then for model picked a similar one like DS-2CD2012? I notice this one is a DS-2CD2032-I model but it was not listed on their support list. I returned mine in less than 1 hour but now that I got my PoE switch, I don't want to buy again if it doesn't work.

Anyone power this up with their Synology Surveillance Station app? If so, did you use Hikvision as a brand and then for model picked a similar one like DS-2CD2012? I notice this one is a DS-2CD2032-I model but it was not listed on their support list. I returned mine in less than 1 hour but now that I got my PoE switch, I don't want to buy again if it doesn't work.

Select ONVIF.

hmm got mine in today, playing around with it, and firmware is V4.0.9 130419

are those numbers higher then the hikvision available ones?

hmm got mine in today, playing around with it, and firmware is V4.0.9 130419

are those numbers higher then the hikvision available ones?

No, they have 5.0.xxxxx available.

I just bought a pair and found that it was been used. Somehow I can't seem to see the Ip addresses on it. How do I get the IP addresses to show up on my router? My switch got PoE connected to router.

I just bought a pair from another vendor, and they not only came with the 5.0.0 firmware but with the new weather-proof network connection. It's a different model number from either the Swann or the Hik, but is the same camera.

I like the idea of the new network connection, though it requires crimping the connector after passing it through the far end of the connector. Nice improvement by Hikvision - another notch in their belt!

As was mentioned in the other thread, use their SADP software to set the IP addresses. If that can't find the cameras, they may be bad.

The Hikvision versions come with their SADP software to find the cameras, with Lorex/Swann they don't because they do not support you using the cameras without their NVR so you have to play games and set your PC to that subnet (192.0.0) and then log into the camera and change it.

The Hikvision versions come with their SADP software to find the cameras, with Lorex/Swann they don't because they do not support you using the cameras without their NVR so you have to play games and set your PC to that subnet (192.0.0) and then log into the camera and change it.

i don't know if i got lucky

but SADP worked in finding my 6x Swann branded cameras, and allowed me to log in and change ip addresses of them to my subnet.

i don't know if i got lucky

but SADP worked in finding my 6x Swann branded cameras, and allowed me to log in and change ip addresses of them to my subnet.

Thats how it works, it uses the proprietary Hikvision protocol that doesn't use tcp/ip.

It's all magic. For example, Mobotix cameras come with a random fixed IP in the 10. subnet, but for some reason, their camera finder program finds them, like magic because I can't even ping them from my 192.168 subnet. In a perfect world, cameras companies would just deliver cameras with DHCP by default.

I know with the Hikvision/Lorex/Swan IP systems, they use the Hikvision protocol to make it very transparent to the user.

But they also give the user the option to use tcp/ip as their needs expand, I like that design.

The Qsee system is similar.

Can someone see if they have this problem with synology nas and hikvision/swann cameras

using the synology ds cam android app or apple app, and trying to view a swann aka hikvision camera on synology

it seems that even though the fps shows 1-3 fps, that the camera only updates the image i see on my phone every 6-7 seconds (based on time stamps updating on my screen.

i only have a problem with swann, my geovision cameras have the 1-3 fps and updates accordingly.

it would seem that there is some configuration problems with swann that causes this.

Hello everyone i am new and wanted to know if by any chance the LOREX DOME 1080p cameras would work with the SWANN 1080p system? Running original Swan specs and firmware? Could this be plug and play as the bullet 1080ps can be? Or - does anyone know if SWANN has the 1080P dome cameras for sale?

Thanks

does anyone know what exatly i-frame interval does on these cameras?

With the stock setting of 100, mobile viewing, it was updating every 6-7 seconds

i changed the setting to 1 and my mobile viewing had updates every 1 second or less.

With the stock setting of 100, mobile viewing, it was updating every 6-7 seconds

i changed the setting to 1 and my mobile viewing had updates every 1 second or less.

The keyframe, an I-frame is a single frame of digital content that the compressor examines independent of the frames that precede and follow it and stores all of the data needed to display that frame. Typically, a I-frames are interspersed with P-frames and B-frames in a compressed video. The more I-frames that are contained, the better quality the video will be; however, I-frames contain the most amount of bits and therefore take up more space on the storage medium.

By reducing in the number like you did, increased bandwidth usage.

Your 100 should have been ok if you had a reliable connection.

Cell phone companies such as Sprint that I have, will re-compress video and pictures on the fly, which can mess up video streaming which do not match what ever funny configuration they require. You can get by cell phone companies messing with your video and images by using a VPN connection on your cell phone.

The keyframe, an I-frame is a single frame of digital content that the compressor examines independent of the frames that precede and follow it and stores all of the data needed to display that frame. Typically, a I-frames are interspersed with P-frames and B-frames in a compressed video. The more I-frames that are contained, the better quality the video will be; however, I-frames contain the most amount of bits and therefore take up more space on the storage medium.

By reducing in the number like you did, increased bandwidth usage.

Your 100 should have been ok if you had a reliable connection.

Cell phone companies such as Sprint that I have, will re-compress video and pictures on the fly, which can mess up video streaming which do not match what ever funny configuration they require. You can get by cell phone companies messing with your video and images by using a VPN connection on your cell phone.

Thanks for the explanation. My connection is very reliable, and i get super smooth videos with my other brand cameras, just that with the swanns, anything other then 1 would result in mobile viewing updates every few seconds. I tried many settings between 1 and 100, and anything other then 1 would cause the refresh rate on my mobile to be 2-3 seconds.

I have verizon fios 150/65, so definitely not a bandwidth problem. I also have Verizon 4G wireless.

I'm not sure if the I-frame setting is doing more then it should be with the swann cameras. Definitely not a bandwidth problem at home hah.

Might not be a bandwidth issue, it could be Verizon Wireless re-compressing (and messing up) the video stream on your cell phone.

If you tower you are connected to is heavily used at the time, it can lower the quality of the video and images being downloaded to your phone.

The cell company probably won't admit to doing this. It is easy to verify this by downloading a JPG image (not a PNG or bitmap), download it on your phone and then download it on your PC, compare the sizes.

Might not be a bandwidth issue, it could be Verizon Wireless re-compressing (and messing up) the video stream on your cell phone.

If you tower you are connected to is heavily used at the time, it can lower the quality of the video and images being downloaded to your phone.

The cell company probably won't admit to doing this. It is easy to verify this by downloading a JPG image (not a PNG or bitmap), download it on your phone and then download it on your PC, compare the sizes.

0 problems with my other brand cameras, so its just a problem with my swann cameras. More tinkering required to get this working.

my remote app (synology) gives me 2-3 fps with my other cameras, showing what i believe would be 1080p

my swann cameras with i-frame interval of 1 seems to give me ~1fps at 1080p, even though my remote app reports 2-3 fps. not a scientific measurement, just the blur i get from waving my hands in this camera vs my other cameras.

it might have to do with the weird processing as others have mentioned that these swann cameras might be doing.

[by reducing in the number like you did, increased bandwidth usage.

On the Swanns, it shouldn't affect bandwidth, as they have a separate bandwidth setting that's independent of the i-frame or fps settings.

What it will affect is quality, as more i-frames per second for a given bandwidth means more compression.

I can't seem to get the email notifications for the camera to work. I've tried SMPT settings for both Yahoo and Gmail accounts, but neither works. Or is this something to do with the motion detection not working? (I have it set to "on")