buellwinkle

2 1080P IR Bullets at Costco for 349

Q2U, thanks for managing this thread, spent 20 min reading all of it and am learning tons.

Questions:

1. Anyone thinks it is possible/good idea to use these cameras with no nvr (no PC based either).

Do they have enough features on the cam itself to power use cases like

- motion detection email alerts

- snapshot image attachment to email

- in addition to email with 1 image, multiple triggered snapshots to SD card on cam, NAS or ftp

- trigger some simple sound alarm

2. do you need an expensive POE switch? it seems that what you are using is ~$100-$200, that makes me thing that the appliance NVR might be a better bet just for that reason (-:

Q2U, thanks for managing this thread, spent 20 min reading all of it and am learning tons.

Questions:

1. Anyone thinks it is possible/good idea to use these cameras with no nvr (no PC based either).

Do they have enough features on the cam itself to power use cases like

- motion detection email alerts

- snapshot image attachment to email

- in addition to email with 1 image, multiple triggered snapshots to SD card on cam, NAS or ftp

- trigger some simple sound alarm

2. do you need an expensive POE switch? it seems that what you are using is ~$100-$200, that makes me thing that the appliance NVR might be a better bet just for that reason (-:

csmba, I believe that these cameras contain all of the built-in feature you have expressed a need for. However, I use them with a VMS (Blue Iris) so I am not certain. I would suggest you read back and find the post I made with the Hikvision user manual for these cameras. All of the information you need should be in the manual. But wait, there's more! This is Costco bro! Buy the cameras and, if you're not satisfied, simply return them for a full refund; there is no limit on how long you can try them: 90 days, 180 days, 365 days: w h a t e v e r!

Trendnet sells an inexpensive 8-port POE switch ($52.00 at NewEgg).

Good luck!

I've posted some comparison pics on the 3MP setting over at cam-it:

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=4248.0

I'll toss them up here when I get the time. Anyway, as was pretty clear already, the Hikvision flash doesn't give the Swann true 3MP capability, but scales it from a lower resolution, as Tom said, which I estimate to be about 2.2MP.

Also, this doesn't appear to be a 4mm lens, with 70 deg FOV, which is what the Costco spec claims. The horizontal FOV at 10' is 18', which calculates out to approx. 90 degrees. Traditional 4:3 lens calculators claim this is 2.7mm, and scaling that for a 1080p FOV gives a rough estimate of 3.6mm.

However, it just happens to nearly match my Dahua HFW3300C at full zoom out, which is 3.3mm. If anything, it's slightly less, as the FOV is slightly wider than the Dahua, but 3.3mm seems like a good estimate of the actual lens focal length.

More 3300 to Hik/Swann comparisons to come later.

Here's the Dahua/Hik comparison overview - Hik on top, Dahua on bottom, from a BI screenshot.

219332_1.jpg

Trendnet sells an inexpensive 8-port POE switch ($52.00 at NewEgg).

Good luck!

Thanks for linking to the POE switch.

I am expecting 4x of the Swann 1080p cams and already have 2x Foscam (640x480). all six will be connected to the switch and from the switch goes 100ft to my router.

Do you think that 100mbps will handle all six cameras? and still have the uplink speed to my router?

Too bad I already paid ~$200 for a 8port POE GigaBit switch. but don't mind using that cheaper one if it does the job. (I can use the more expensive switch elsewhere)

The cam proportions look different - more stretched in length - & different mounting base. I suppose they could house the same "insides" in a different housing..

j

Thought Hickvisions version is 3mp? Anyone tried to record offsite using hickvisions firmware?

yes we have been down this road.

Thought Hickvisions version is 3mp? Anyone tried to record offsite using hickvisions firmware?

yes we have been down this road.

I was replying to your post as you linked to a 2mp camera by hisckvision, while the swanns were supposedly 3mp capable with hicks firmware. So the swanns are not what you linked in your question since hicks are 3mp. You linked to a 2mp camera.

Based on external appearance, they are NOT. IMO anyway.

The QSEE, Swann, Lorex branded MP outdoor bullet cameras(Dahua/Hikvision) at Costco are little dinky things. Very nice.

I know what the swanns look like and how they look...I linked those hik, cause I thought maybe the internals were the same

now that Blue Iris supports "Direct to Disc" record.

For those of you that have the SWann camera does it have the ability to put up a time overlay in the output video to NVR?

I'm asking because the "Direct to Disc" features of Blue Iris does not support any type of overlays.

The Swann puts up overlays, and has a nice feature where it switches between black or white text, depending on the background color. The only thing I don't like is that it's pretty big text and is a bit far from the edge of the image.

There are some examples of the overlay in the evening and focus comparison post I put up, with the BI overlay enabled as well.

The Swann puts up overlays, and has a nice feature where it switches between black or white text, depending on the background color. The only thing I don't like is that it's pretty big text and is a bit far from the edge of the image.

There are some examples of the overlay in the evening and focus comparison post I put up, with the BI overlay enabled as well.

can you link to it? it's a PITA searching the thead with my phone and also I can't tell if some clip are from the NVR overlay or the actual time/date overlay from the camera itself.

thanks for the quick reply.

You guys are great and this thread is very informative but I'm still wondering on one question.

How much network bandwidth does one of these Swan cam require say streaming 1080p at 15fps?

I'm asking because I plan to use a 100mbps POE switch with 4 of these Swan + 2x Foscam 480p cameras. (along with a uplink on the Switch to a router). Not sure if I can get away with using 100mbps switch or have to pay 3x or 4x more for a Gigabit switch.

The cameras operate at whatever you set them to. I believe you can go over 8192 kb/s, but in general, there's no need to.

This setting is independent of FPS, resolution, etc, but it can affect image quality. Too low a bitrate setting will cause pixelation during fast movement or when a lot of the image is changing at once.

Also, if you're going to use Blue Iris, it has a problem with these cameras (and the Dahua 2MP/3MP cams) as you go above 4096kb/s, and starts having network dropouts if it's viewing a well lit area with alot of texture (like a yard full of grass and trees). The problem starts with the Swann at lower settings than with the Dahua, and I believe it's because the Swann has a more detailed image, with less softness.

I'm gathering some data on this, and have some theories, but that's another post.

The cameras operate at whatever you set them to. I believe you can go over 8192 kb/s, but in general, there's no need to.

This setting is independent of FPS, resolution, etc, but it can affect image quality. Too low a bitrate setting will cause pixelation during fast movement or when a lot of the image is changing at once.

Also, if you're going to use Blue Iris, it has a problem with these cameras (and the Dahua 2MP/3MP cams) as you go above 4096kb/s, and starts having network dropouts if it's viewing a well lit area with alot of texture (like a yard full of grass and trees). The problem starts with the Swann at lower settings than with the Dahua, and I believe it's because the Swann has a more detailed image, with less softness.

I'm gathering some data on this, and have some theories, but that's another post.

Whatever you come up with you should notify Ken, the blue Iris developer.

can you link to it? it's a PITA searching the thead with my phone and also I can't tell if some clip are from the NVR overlay or the actual time/date overlay from the camera itself.

thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry, forgot about this. Here's one of the pics with the Swann overlay. The time/date info in the top left and the word Hik are from the camera; the time/date below the word Hik is from Blue Iris. You can see the time/date is in white and black, depending on how the camera perceives the average background.

219521_1.jpg

thanks for the upload.

the size/location of the time/date overlay from the Swann camera is pretty annoying. I hope the "Hik" portion can be disabled

Hopefully future firmware revisions will have the option of size and location.

But as now of it is serviceable and potentially a 20-30% less CPU utilization I'll deal with it.

The cameras only operate at 100 Mbit so it doesnt matter

That I understand but HOW MUCH of the 100mb pipe does it uses when transmitting at say full quality.

Let say the switch is only 100mbps, the uplink to the router maxes out at 100mbs.

The uplink is a single port on the switch that will be carrying the video stream from ALL the cameras at the same time.

If say one swan cam uses max of 25mbps and the foscam uses 10mbps

(4x 25mbps) + (2x 10mbps) = 120mbps combine. bandwidth of all the cameras

at 120m it will overload the uplink speed going back to the router. and you will have either frame drops or camera not showing up. or some garrbled video. So now I would need 1000gb switch to handle the uplink going to the router.

Due to the nature/location of where the cameras are wired to and the placement of switch I don't want to use anything expensive if I don't have to.

*** SOMEONE correct me if I'm wrong on how it works, as I currently run 6 foscam off a full gigabit network.

The cameras only operate at 100 Mbit so it doesnt matter

That I understand but HOW MUCH of the 100mb pipe does it uses when transmitting at say full quality.

Let say the switch is only 100mbps, the uplink to the router maxes out at 100mbs.

The uplink is a single port on the switch that will be carrying the video stream from ALL the cameras at the same time.

If say one swan cam uses max of 25mbps and the foscam uses 10mbps

(4x 25mbps) + (2x 10mbps) = 120mbps combine. bandwidth of all the cameras

at 120m it will overload the uplink speed going back to the router. and you will have either frame drops or camera not showing up. or some garrbled video. So now I would need 1000gb switch to handle the uplink going to the router.

Due to the nature/location of where the cameras are wired to and the placement of switch I don't want to use anything expensive if I don't have to.

*** SOMEONE correct me if I'm wrong on how it works, as I currently run 6 foscam off a full gigabit network.

makes sense

You can set the location now.

thanks for the upload.

the size/location of the time/date overlay from the Swann camera is pretty annoying. I hope the "Hik" portion can be disabled

Hopefully future firmware revisions will have the option of size and location.

But as now of it is serviceable and potentially a 20-30% less CPU utilization I'll deal with it.