zikronix

Missed the swann system at costco This Lorex is coming

Which PTZ can I purchase with this package? I want to install one in the baby room or maybe outside so I can move and zoom it if I want to!

Hikvision does not make a PTZ network camera. Also, you do realize that a 720P or 1080P PTZ is not cheap, may cost more than your entire system you are looking at. The least expensive I've used are Panasonic, they have them down to the $1,000 price range for indoors and a few hundred more for an outdoor housing. ACTi has an indoor one that runs about $1,500 and again, a few hundred more for outdoor. Dahua has some but harder to get and run about $800-1,200 depending on features. Don't know if any of these will work with that NVR.

For a kids room, I've use the Panasonic BL-C230A, a cheapie tiny white cube, VGA resolution but pan/tilt for remote viewing (no zoom) and believe they run about $200ish. They also came out with a 720P version, don't have the model number but identical in looks and functionality, just higher resolution, not sure that's needed in a small room where you are not trying to ID your kid, you already know what he looks like. Again, not likely to work with that NVR, so if this is your goal, maybe forgo the NVR and get NVR software like BlueIris for example that supports many brands of cameras and cost under $50 or go with an NVR that supports multiple brands of camera.

Thanks, I appreciate for your info. I really would like to use the NVR and POE camera. Who is Hikvison? Is that Swann?

I saw these and I thought they were PTZ. I guess I was wrong.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Wireless-IP-Cameras/Full-HD-IP-security-camera-/prod360013.p?skuId=sku370051

Hikvision does not make a PTZ network camera. Also, you do realize that a 720P or 1080P PTZ is not cheap, may cost more than your entire system you are looking at. The least expensive I've used are Panasonic, they have them down to the $1,000 price range for indoors and a few hundred more for an outdoor housing. ACTi has an indoor one that runs about $1,500 and again, a few hundred more for outdoor. Dahua has some but harder to get and run about $800-1,200 depending on features. Don't know if any of these will work with that NVR.

For a kids room, I've use the Panasonic BL-C230A, a cheapie tiny white cube, VGA resolution but pan/tilt for remote viewing (no zoom) and believe they run about $200ish. They also came out with a 720P version, don't have the model number but identical in looks and functionality, just higher resolution, not sure that's needed in a small room where you are not trying to ID your kid, you already know what he looks like. Again, not likely to work with that NVR, so if this is your goal, maybe forgo the NVR and get NVR software like BlueIris for example that supports many brands of cameras and cost under $50 or go with an NVR that supports multiple brands of camera.

Hikvision is the manufacturer of Swann and Lorex cameras.

Decision, decision, decision... Lorex with 6 bullets for $1349 (directly from them) or Swann with 4 bullets for $1199 (Costco).

Decision, decision, decision... Lorex with 6 bullets for $1349 (directly from them) or Swann with 4 bullets for $1199 (Costco).

If you plan on having 6 or more cameras, the Lorex is a better price, considering you'll most likely be charged sales tax for Costco.

The only downside I see to Lorex for me is the lack of being able to connect a cable to the NVR to debug the root password, but 99.99% of people won't care about that.

Lorex tech support is iffy, but I find most support to be that way.

If you plan on having 6 or more cameras, the Lorex is a better price, considering you'll most likely be charged sales tax for Costco.

The only downside I see to Lorex for me is the lack of being able to connect a cable to the NVR to debug the root password, but 99.99% of people won't care about that.

Lorex tech support is iffy, but I find most support to be that way.

Yes, the Lorex seems to have a little better pricing but I would like to have all access like root.. I think i'm leaning to the Swann...

Hello all, new to these forums. I just received my Lorex LNR282C6B from CostCo yesterday:

http://www.costco.com/.product.100048576.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

It appears to be a variation of the Lorex originally referenced at the beginning of this thread.

My system is 8 channels and came with 6 cameras. I assumed it would be very easy to buy two extra cameras when ordering this, however after looking around that does not seem to be the case. Lorex offers a replacement dome or bullet cam for just under $300 ($289 and $279 respectively). This was a bit of a shellshock considering my entire system was only $1,000 and it included 6 cams (which at thos prices would be $1,500 in cameras alone, without the dvr, cables, software, etc...).

Before sucking down the cost on those extra cams, I wanted to ask here first. Thanks for any insight =)

Is this thread still live? Looks like I'm late to the party. That freaking sucks because I just spent 3hrs at work reading from beginning to end!!

Anyway I had a simple question. Will Lorex dome cams with with the Swann system I plan on buying? Swann doesn't seem to have any dome cameras, and I prefer the Swann over Lorex NVR after reading this thread.

Edited by Guest

Or you can just buy Hikvision 3MP IR mini domes or their varifocal lens version, pretty cheap, like $179 and $239 respectively. Swann/Lorex are OEM distributors of the camera made by Hikvision.

For the record, a few weeks after I registered my system I got an email from Lorex offering me 50% off accessories for my system. So I went ahead and bought my two extra cams at that time.

Noob Question

I am picking up the Swann 8 channel NVR and I plan on using PIR motion sensor as event triggers. Is there anything I need to know before purchasing these? Is there a particular type that only work with NVRs or only a certain type that have the correct output plug? I plan on putting them in four spots around my house.

Thanks guys