zikronix

Missed the swann system at costco This Lorex is coming

To me it looks like an identical system...but i dont know. It will be online only. Should be there May 01, their may be additional cameras available. Its supposed to be listed at 849.00. I think swann support is better, potentially. If it comes with the concierge and 3 year like the Swann then that may be a non issue. according to lorex its 3.0mp and they have wdr enabled by default. so...maybe they arent restricted like they are on the swann?

System

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-1080p-Cameras.product.100035609.html

Extra Cameras

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Security+camera+system+Wireless+camera+system/Security+NVR+with+IP+cameras/prod360017.p?skuId=LNR282C4B

Some things to think about if you have the swann and are considering the lorex. First some things we know.

COMMON:

The cameras appear to be the same

The interface of the DVR is similar

They both have loud fan noise

Carrier level port blocking for the mobile app is an issue (can be fixed by changing the RTSP port to something other than 554)

Both sold at Costco

Most features available on both NVR, Such as email on motion, etc

Currently cant use any other ip camera with either system (Not confirmed as it does support ONVIF)

PROS SWANN:

Swann has a 3 year warranty and concierge support

24/7 Tech support via phone or email

Alarm Ports

Rumored 240FPS

Cameras can be flashed, used with third party apps and are available for purchase

Supports PTZ

Cameras, supposedly can be used on the lan side.

CONS SWANN:

Stock Mobile app blows (you can use the HikVision app which is awesome, its just like the lorex app)

60ft ethernet cables

Some cameras might have a soft right side.

Fan Noise

PROS LOREX:

50.00 cheaper than the swann was (I think)

Stock mobile app looks better (Direct rip of the HikVision app)

100 ft cables

Cameras might be a different batch and may NOT have the soft right side.

CONS LOREX:

Only a 2 Year warranty

No Alarm inputs or outputs

Doesnt support PTZ

No Extra cameras availaible (at the time of writing)

FAN Noise

120 FPS confirmed

Cameras may not be able to be used with 3rd party apps

RS485 or any other alarm input is not compatible, alarms cannot be connected (Confirmed)

Currently there are no plans for an IP NETWORK PTZ type camera for this system. (Confirmed)

Edited by Guest

They do appear physically identical. Also, 4mm lens like the Swann package.

It would be more reassuring to see them run with a brand for a while, and add to the accessories and spares over time. I don't know whether Costco will offer additional camera packs for this item, and I still want to phase in PTZ over time. The on-again, off-again nature of these deals makes them seem like a cul-de-sac in terms of future expansion.

But I am really ready to go with something and this may be the new ticket.

The manual for the lorez says ptz not supported, but the swann does. I wonder if they are just referring to what came with the package, or if its simply just no supported. The lorex and hikvision apps are identical. Like I said it would be interesing if the cameras arnt locked at 2.1Mp like the swann. When it releases im going to pick it up and check it out if i like it better than the swann and the support is there i might just return the swann

I saw these(Lorex) in the Costco Flyer sent out this week. They sure look like the same camera as the Swann now offered. Lorex offer starts May 1.

1825640762_newlorex.JPG.b469309974c6ed204a9e61c4395d09f1.JPG

Deal breaker for me!

Q: Can I connect the IP cameras to my local network?

A: No, the IP cameras are designed to connect to the NVR via the built-in PoE ports. This enables them to be automatically detected and recorded by the NVR once connected. Lorex does not support connecting the IP cameras to the local network or viewing video from the IP cameras except via the NVR.

This was pretty much the same that Swann said. Even though it's obvious the cameras work fine just hooked to the local network, if you want to use an NVR it looks like the ability to support non-local cameras would not be there. Plus powering the cameras from a POE switch could give Lorex and Swann a way to not support them if there was a problem. Stupid if you ask me.

I'm sure they will work fine. I'll find out when I buy it may 1 I want to see what firmware and capabilities of the camera are. See what features they have that Swann didn't enable. I'm also going to open the dvr and Compare it to the Swann. Software is the same I expected the hardware to be identical

I thought I saw an alarm input in thebpics

Looking at the picture and description in the owners manual, it does not list any alarm inputs. Maybe you saw the RS485 connector to the right of the LAN. The manual says that is "Not Suppored".

Looks like there are some differences. Still gonna pick one up and compare it to the Swann. I'm really interested in the camera settings. The Swann cameras are locked at 2.1 I think and even then the Swann nvr only allows 2.1 so I'm interested to see the differences

The backs of the Swann and Lorex NVRs are extremely similar... but Swann has the big alarm input connector, where the Lorex only has a two-terminal "RS-485" connector at the same spot. The Lorex manual (very large) only makes one reference to the RS-485 port: "Unsupported".

according to lorex its 3.0mp and they have wdr enabled by default

lorex cameras my not be locked at 2.1 MP like the swann

hi.

its a 1.3 mp plug and play

Hikvision makes the same camera in 1.3MP and 3MP, so it could be the 1.3MP version. Has anyone sourced the Hikvision camera. Maybe I can call my contact there and see if we can do a group buy, get the real deal, 3MP and support from Hikvision.

Are you saying the lorex are locked at 1.3mp? Even though they say 3 mp

no. but cams that come with it are. and take a look at the spec again it doesent say 3mp cameras.

Tom's right, they say 3mp LENS, so my money is on Lorex knocking down the 3mp Hik cams to 2mp (1080P) just like Swann. The LENS is "3mp" because it's the same one on Hik's 3mp cameras. Shady exaggeration but technically true. Sort of.

Tom's right, they say 3mp LENS, so my money is on Lorex knocking down the 3mp Hik cams to 2mp (1080P) just like Swann. The LENS is "3mp" because it's the same one on Hik's 3mp cameras. Shady exaggeration but technically true. Sort of.

OMG shifty bastards. I totally read that like they intended it to be read instead of actually reading it.

You can flash the swan to hikivision firmware and get 3mp. yes....it has finally been done.

You can flash the swan to hikivision firmware and get 3mp. yes....it has finally been done.

Yes...yes you can...See the swann thread. I had a camera that was flaky I replaced it flashed it before I took it back and took some video.

Be warned flashing the firmware could and connecting it to the swann dvr or lorex dvr could break something else.

I would like to know if the fan in the Lorex will be quieter than the Swann unit. The Lorex NVR also shows that it can be expanded to 8TB where the Swann says 6TB max hard drive capacity.

While I ordered 2 pairs of Swann cams before they took the offer down, I'm starting to think if they post a new setup with 4 cams + DVR I should go that route as I'd save a lot of money. Anyone else in the same boat?

$766 for 4 Swanns + ~$700 for a i7 PC... seems a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a package deal. My biggest concern is about the DVR software being as customizable as Blue Iris.

Thoughts?