zikronix

Missed the swann system at costco This Lorex is coming

Has anyone discovered yet if other types of cameras can be connected to this system? I've got an 8 channel Q-See package on order for $699 from amazon, but this system is temping me. Unfortunately I'll need to retain some of my existing cameras with the new NVR and some of those cameras will be on my network and not directly connected to the NVR. Any ideas?

the swann version is back on the costco website. get them while they are still around.

Link? I am not seeing anything but the Swann cameras, or the D1 packages. The NVR package doesn't show with a search.

I am trying to figure out what makes an AvertX worth an extra $1000... it does have alarm inputs and PTZ control... very nice but not THAT nice.

the swann version is back on the costco website. get them while they are still around.

Link? I am not seeing anything but the Swann cameras, or the D1 packages. The NVR package doesn't show with a search.

I am trying to figure out what makes an AvertX worth an extra $1000... it does have alarm inputs and PTZ control... very nice but not THAT nice.

Their not selling the NVR kit at this time. Just the Two Camera Pack; is back.

Got my (4) Swanns today, still on fence about buying NVR + 4 Cams or just a PC. Wish Swanns had come with the extra 40ft/cable.

Still considering this setup: http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-1080p-Cameras.product.100035609.html or possibly buying a PC.

Reading the fine print is key: "Realtime at 1080P resolution up to 4 cameras (120fps in total). Additional cameras supported @15fps each (8-Channel only)"

While I only want 4 cameras right now, I don't know if I would want more, and if I did I'd be annoyed with 15fps. Does anyone know how many FPS 8 1080p cameras on Blue Iris would output?

Annoyed with 15fps at 2 MP??????

Dude, 15fps is pretty damn good, at least it is for this old guy watching animals. I would be very happy with 15 fps on everything.

You should try watching something at the two different frame rates and see if you can tell the difference.

Maybe one of the experts can tell us more about the human eye and how good it is regarding frame rates.

Dude, 15fps is pretty damn good, at least it is for this old guy watching animals. I would be very happy with 15 fps on everything.

You should try watching something at the two different frame rates and see if you can tell the difference.

Maybe one of the experts can tell us more about the human eye and how good it is regarding frame rates.

It really is a waste of hard drive to record over 15fps, there are many samples on youtube on this, here is one example:

m0xyY5SRUgI

...Does anyone know how many FPS 8 1080p cameras on Blue Iris would output?

It would depend in large part on the processing capabilities of the PC which was running Blue Iris.

I changed all of mine on BlueIris to 10fps to give the CPU a rest. With ACTi, I keep everything at 30fps because there's no significant PC overhead.

It really is a waste of hard drive to record over 15fps, there are many samples on youtube on this, here is one example:

Full disclosure: I'm a novice when it comes to video surveillance.

I would have expected more blurring and I was thought with 15fps the likelihood of having a good still (visible face/etc) wasn't as likely (hence less fps.) I'd be interested to see that comparison but with a person walking and running. I thought it was a 'bigger deal' as I'd read quite a few comments in various threads that people wanted 30fps. If 15fps is entirely sufficient why bother with 30fps? I imagine it'd also save a considerable amount of HD space.

Full disclosure: I'm a novice when it comes to video surveillance.

I would have expected more blurring and I was thought with 15fps the likelihood of having a good still (visible face/etc) wasn't as likely (hence less fps.) I'd be interested to see that comparison but with a person walking and running. I thought it was a 'bigger deal' as I'd read quite a few comments in various threads that people wanted 30fps. If 15fps is entirely sufficient why bother with 30fps? I imagine it'd also save a considerable amount of HD space.

There are many FPS comparisons on the youtube relating to surveillance cameras that one was the first one listed when searching 15fps vs 30fps. To answer your last question there are quite a few cams that wont do more than 15fps at their max resolution, but will at a lesser resolution setting.

Just waiting for someone to maybe youtube a Lorex setup. The swann looked pretty nice, I can't imagine the Lorex being much worse.

The specs for the NVR on the Lorex website shows 240FPS at 1080P. Says so in big letters when you go to their website - http://www.lorextechnology.com/

240FPS is BS if you do the math, this is from the manual: "Realtime at 1080P resolution up to 4 cameras (120fps in total). Additional cameras supported @15fps each (8-Channel only)" Quoted from this manual: http://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-nvr/LNR200-Series/LNR200_SERIES_MANUAL_R1.pdf

So...

4 cameras @ 30fps == 120fps

4 additional @ 15fps == 60fps

Total: 180fps

Unless I'm being a tool and missing something obvious or looking at the wrong manual, Lorex has some explaining to do.

Has anyone setup a mirror drive with an NVR but made it external? With the wires extending ~6ft?

Can you only do it via SATA cable or can you via USB?

I read in the Lorex manual you can backup via USB HD but it sounded like mirroring was only for SATA. The key is I want the mirror SATA drive in a secured location.

The iphone app looks like you may have more control then the Qsee app. I Would like to see some night video before I pull the trigger and make a purchase. Also looks like you may have some camera control as far a resolution changes and zoom control through the remote software.

Thanks

Chuck

I Would like to see some night video before I pull the trigger and make a purchase.

Thanks

Chuck

Ditto, I will settle for any video....lol

Hey guys, just joined, this is my first post. Here's some night video from the Lorex system.

http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/10361447/module/lorex/_cp/products/1362667994492/tab-5d669004-bbdb-4c7a-98b0-3228961986bc/NIGHTVISION_HDNVR.mp4.mobile.mp4

I Would like to see some night video before I pull the trigger and make a purchase.

Thanks

Chuck

Ditto, I will settle for any video....lol

That night vision shot is straight from the Lorex product page at Costco.com.

As of this morning, Costco shows no Lorex 2 pack of these cameras in stock. They Have the Swanns back up so I snagged a 2 pak.

The Lorex NVR plus four cams($850)is still up for now but no stand alone Lorex IP camera(Hikvision).

Inventory sure changes fast on these products.

I've decided I don't want the Lorex NVR, based on no alarms or PTZ, so the quest (and the wait) continues. If the Swann package (or a comparable res IP Q-See) goes back up, I'll have to jump on it.

I hope I am not forking into a new topic, but many folks mentioned the NVR Vs. PC issue in this thread.

My question is: any of you tried just using the IP cams "as-is" with no NVR (PC or appliance).

Seems to me that you get a much simpler setup, no wasted energy (or fan noise) from the NVR, and you (at least I) get all the benefits I need:

1. email alert with snapshot (I hope you can customize how many and at which rate you want snapshots to be recorded once motion is detected)

2. local recording triggered by motion of images (I assume video as well, but I don't get why would you want video when images should be higher-res with higher sharpness, making face recognition easier)

3. I saw some cameras had "alarm out" (?) which I assume means can trigger audible alarm.

4. direct over the internet access to see live feeds

I am new to these systems, so 1-4 above are more of what I think I know, but likely you can talk some sense into me... please! (-:

I hope I am not forking into a new topic, but many folks mentioned the NVR Vs. PC issue in this thread. My question is: any of you tried just using the IP cams "as-is" with no NVR (PC or appliance)...

You got a lotta forkin' nerve bro!

But, seriously, your suggestion certainly is a viable alternative; my personal perspective is that I get everything you have suggested -- and much much more -- by using a video management system (VMS) application on my computer. NVR? Well I don't know much about that option other than to surmise that if the user has a specific requirement then NVRs most likely suit the requirement perfectly. But if you've got any geekness in you at all, IP cameras and a decent VMS (I use "Blue Iris") is very effective and a heckuva lot of geekoliciousness fun.

can you confirm that these cams can do the 4 tasks I mentioned though?

I have an old Panasonic IP cam now connected to my router... can do all of that except it is crappy quality and indoor. (plus side though, it has IR Vs video sensor for motion detection). Hence I seem to like the simplicity.

What extra things do you suggest VMS let you do (I can think of one: record 24x7 video so you can go back and look at any time and any day in the last week... but if motion activation works, I just don't see the value). BTW, this is for home use, not monitoring a warehouse for example...