Maybe you have to think like a Russian, speak with thick Russian accent, drink Russian Vodka while setting up the Russian software and that may unlock the mysteries.

And pour some liquid nitrogen to create the same physical environment they use to run the software

I've played with Express and we now have a few installs going that are great, I loaded up GO on a desktop PC and it seemed fine, more or less identical to Express but with a few limitations

I'll share my Axxon experience as I'm currently trying to set up a system using this.

I've been playing with Axxon for a few months now, Version 3.1 is a huge improvement of 3.0 which was laggy, unstable, and overall a poor experience. It is definitely complex and confusing to setup and the downside is you do need VPN to use their client remotely. I've even had problems being on a different network segment as the software seems to need Netbios/WINS support (weird). This isn't really a dealbreaker for me though because they have a pretty decent web client. So you just need to portforward a port that you can set on the server and you can pop right into the web client. The client is nice in that it lets you view your live streams and archived video (video that was recorded from a schedule, an alarm, etc).

The client/server itself is pretty full featured. I've only really played with Zoneminder and some other trial software like Milestone, etc. They have 'drivers' for a bunch of the common IP cameras like Panasonic, Arecont, Acti, Samsung, Sony, etc. They also let you use ONVIF to connect to cameras that support that profile. As a fallback, the software can also connect to an RTSP stream, though sadly, they won't let you connect to an HTTP stream. I currently have the system setup using a mix of Sony, Samsung, Logitech, and Panasonic cameras with Grandstreams on their way.

You can setup recording schedules, and clearly define motion/action zones for each camera. Analytics are pretty powerful but tend to lag and slow things down.

The Alarm modes are quirky, you have to set two timeouts, one that specifies how long you have to respond until an alarm is silenced, and one that does something else (this is kinda weird and I don't tend to use these features).

Anyway, instead of continuing to document my experience here, since it sounds like not all too much is known about Axxon, maybe I'll write up a thread with my experiences with it so far. Any interest?

Nick

Used the new version of Milestone with our new PTZ as our old version does not accept it.

It worked like a charm.

I'll share my Axxon experience as I'm currently trying to set up a system using this.

Anyway, instead of continuing to document my experience here, since it sounds like not all too much is known about Axxon, maybe I'll write up a thread with my experiences with it so far. Any interest?

Nick

Please!

I have been trying to install Axxon Next, but keep getting the NGP host service error. Does anybody knows how to fix this issue?

Avigilon is about twice the price of Milestone Essential. I say about because I don't really know what Avigilon sells for...nobody will talk about Avigilon pricing in public.

Um, no. I like the way Milestone markets their products...start out with free, learn how the product works and if you need more, you have an easy upgrade path. You can even buy it on eBay if you like.

Or you can pay about twice as much for Avigilon. I say about because... well, you know.

Um, no. I like the way Milestone markets their products...start out with free, learn how the product works and if you need more, you have an easy upgrade path. You can even buy it on eBay if you like.

Or you can pay about twice as much for Avigilon. I say about because... well, you know.

Avigilon's target customer is not your 4 camera home owner system. Milestone does market to this customer. What is so bad about that? Also lots of other higher end security products have a confidential pricelists so why pick on Avigilon?

so why pick on Avigilon?

I wasn't, or at least I hope that I didn't come across that way. Avigilon may be a fine product and worth even more than the asking price, and maybe I'll even try the 30-day demo some day, who knows? But if I asked you to PM me the entry-level price, would you? Or would you not, out of fear that I might publicly reveal the quoted price from thewireguys?

So I take that to mean that Avigilon isn't all that interested in my few dollars, so I will spend them with a company that does have an interest. But please know that I am not picking on Avigilon, I just get tired of reading how good the product is from the resellers when I can't even get a quote from those very same people.

My recommendation for you is to try the 30 demo before you start bashing them. I like helping people on the forum but this is not my core business.

I don't need the headache of someone posting pricing so I am really starting to shy away from it.

Avigilon's target customer is not your 4 camera home owner system. Milestone does market to this customer. What is so bad about that? Also lots of other higher end security products have a confidential pricelists so why pick on Avigilon?

That is true. Avigilon doesn't cater to small system.

So just be careful buying Avigilon's equipment off of ebay or 3rd party i.e. non-Avigilon partner if you are small fish , since you may have a hard time to resolve any issues if you don't have local dealer support. I've been trying to get Avigilon's referral partner, but it seems I'm too small for their interest.

Avigilon may be a fine product and worth even more than the asking price, and maybe I'll even try the 30-day demo some day, who knows?

I strongly encourage you to try the demo. I'm not an installer and don't have prices for you, but I use Avigilon every day and the VMS is exceptional, especially if you need extremely fast response in tactical situations (i.e. the suspects are still on the premises and you want to simultaneously monitor them in real time and also review recorded video). The Avigilon encoders continue to be exceptional value as well. Other manufacturers have cameras that are competitive on the price/performance scale, but IMO the Avigilon VMS is an exceptional product.

FWIW, all this talk about not being able to get pricing is nonsense. I could get pricing from multiple sources on any business day by simply picking up the phone and requesting a quote.

Best,

Christopher

My recommendation for you is to try the 30 demo before you start bashing them. I like helping people on the forum but this is not my core business.

Not bashing, but ok. Fair enough. I got a quote from a reseller in another country anyway (kinda strange when you think about it).

Interested to hear if anybody used this software and what your opinions are?

I really like Milestone. As a noob, I like the easy setup, I like the way it works for me, I like the way all the different (web, mobile, client/server) pieces fit together, and I like the marketing model (free to start, if you need to upgrade you can pay as you go, buy it on eBay if you like). The pricing seems reasonable and affordable for me. So overall, there is a lot to like here. I have yet to try Aimetis Symphony, but Milestone has so much going for it already that I may never get around to it.

Edited by Guest

I've been trying to get Avigilon's referral partner, but it seems I'm too small for their interest.

What was your gross revenue last year?

Best,

Christopher

I got a quote from a reseller in another country anyway (kinda strange when you think about it).

Are you in the US? If so, what city and state?

Best,

Christopher

Norco, CA

FWIW, all this talk about not being able to get pricing is nonsense. I could get pricing from multiple sources on any business day by simply picking up the phone and requesting a quote.

True enough. I contacted Avigilon directly and got a response within 12 hours. We stopped short of pricing when I questioned why they required my telephone number, but I'll bet I could restart the dialog in a heartbeat if I wanted to, but

nobody will talk about Avigilon pricing in public.
Edited by Guest

True enough. I contacted Avigilon directly and got a response within 12 hours. We stopped short of pricing when I questioned why they required my telephone number,

How can their authorized dealer for your region contact you if you don't want to give them your contact information?

Best,

Christopher

What's wrong with email?

I don't like the idea of my personal info being sold to marketing companies, especially irritating are the automated telemarketers.

Norco, CA

True enough. I contacted Avigilon directly and got a response within 12 hours. We stopped short of pricing when I questioned why they required my telephone number, but I'll bet I could restart the dialog in a heartbeat if I wanted to, but

nobody will talk about Avigilon pricing in public.

They wanted your number so they can have a local dealer contact you

I love how everyone tries to make Avigilon into this monster when in fact I have never worked with another manufactures that is well organised and supported there customers as they do. Granted I am sure the ball gets dropped every now and then for me my experience is been speculator.

Edited by Guest

What's wrong with email?

I don't like the idea of my personal info being sold to marketing companies, especially irritating are the automated telemarketers.

I doubt Avigilon is selling my phone number, but if that is a major concern for you, then perhaps some other VMS is a better option for your particular requirements.

Best,

Christopher

I doubt Avigilon is selling my phone number

None of the other products (Axxon, Genius Vision, ExacqVision, Milestone, Aimetis, Zoneminder) I have tried require a phone number, so why Avigilon?

perhaps some other VMS is a better option for your particular requirements.

That's what I'm thinking, too.