buellwinkle

Poor man's Synology NAS for your cameras

I found this on Newegg's Shell Shocker deal of the day, $229AR for today only (7/1/13). It's an HP Microserver that you can load Synology software on and possibly as a Synology NVR for your cameras. In comparison to a Synology DS1512+, it's supposed to be faster and runs about 1/4th the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16859107921

i have to admit the synologys are very slow, but i'm quite happy with my 2x ds1812+, low power consumption, cool running, etc.

Once reason I like the cheapie HP NL54A, it's about 60% more processing power than the Atom D2700 in the ds1812+ and ds1512+ not bad for $229.

What's interesting is the Synology software is open source, so available to all for free. They even have a VM version, so you can run it on your PC or Mac. You still have to license additional cameras past the first free one.

What'd be nice is if they gave the NAS's decent IO processors

we're reasonably happy with our RS3412+

When you guys say they are slow are you referring to Read/Writes? NAS or iSCSI?

I have had zero issues with my ds1812+ and multiple iSCSI targets setup different VMS platforms I have been testing.

I have had zero issues with my ds1812+ and multiple iSCSI targets setup different VMS platforms I have been testing.

Actually I stand corrected, I just did a test and it's the Source servers hard drives holding it back I sent data from my laptop and it was limited to the network connection speed

slow multitasking hah in general i love the low power consumption, and low heat output.

Don't forget to include the approx $50 license fee per camera.

That depends on how good it does with the first camera.

Very true!

Like with my QNAP, I didn't pay any fee and bought a Lorex NVR instead.

Don't forget that's not a requirement. I have three cams using my Synology as a NAS. I haven't even used the first license.

Don't forget that's not a requirement. I have three cams using my Synology as a NAS. I haven't even used the first license.

So your not using the VMS built in the unit your just using it as a NAS correct?

So your not using the VMS built in the unit your just using it as a NAS correct?

Correct. I have Axis cams and I am using Axis Camera Companion from home and work. On my iPhone and iPad, I use an app to access ACC.

I am using DS213j, I realized most of the IP camera like latest ones are not in their Surveillance Station compatibility list. How do you even manually add it to their compatibility list if possible? Anyone here knows any good IP Surveillance Camera for outdoor that is compatible with DS213j? Thanks.

I have DSM 4.2, their latest release running on the HP NL54A. Looks pretty nice for a NAS, lots of software you can run, response is snappy. Installed their Surveillance Station software, seems to work, very low CPU use and it asks if I want to use the camera for motion detection or Synology, same with live viewing, so it must be using the camera to do the heavy lifting. The software is a little sluggish but works. I'm going to wait and see how it does over a few days. When it plays back recordings, not sure I'm seeing the full 3MP resolution because when I zoom in, it pixelates quickly.

very low CPU use and it asks if I want to use the camera for motion detection or Synology, same with live viewing, so it must be using the camera to do the heavy lifting.

Yep, that how the Qnap works too, it depends on the camera being configured for motion detection, not in the NAS.

Can someone see if they have this problem with synology nas and hikvision/swann cameras

using the synology ds cam android app or apple app, and trying to view a swann aka hikvision camera on synology

it seems that even though the fps shows 1-3 fps, that the camera only updates the image i see on my phone every 6-7 seconds (based on time stamps updating on my screen.

i only have a problem with swann, my geovision cameras have the 1-3 fps and updates accordingly.

it would seem that there is some configuration problems with swann that causes this.

I have DSM 4.2, their latest release running on the HP NL54A. Looks pretty nice for a NAS, lots of software you can run, response is snappy. Installed their Surveillance Station software, seems to work, very low CPU use and it asks if I want to use the camera for motion detection or Synology, same with live viewing, so it must be using the camera to do the heavy lifting. The software is a little sluggish but works. I'm going to wait and see how it does over a few days. When it plays back recordings, not sure I'm seeing the full 3MP resolution because when I zoom in, it pixelates quickly.

The Synology NVR software caps the incoming recording stream at 1080P, so you won't get the benefit of 3MP from your cameras.

It is one of the biggest current limitations with the Synology software. Considering that the camera license fees for Synology are on the expensive side (compared to say Milestone or ExacQvision) the primary reason to go with Synology NVR is that you already have the Synology NAS and don't want to purchase a dedicated NVR or build a PC for capture.

The Synology NVR software caps the incoming recording stream at 1080P, so you won't get the benefit of 3MP from your cameras.

It is one of the biggest current limitations with the Synology software. Considering that the camera license fees for Synology are on the expensive side (compared to say Milestone or ExacQvision) the primary reason to go with Synology NVR is that you already have the Synology NAS and don't want to purchase a dedicated NVR or build a PC for capture.

the limitation on the number of frames would become a big one once you get a few camera's too... 180 fps /20 camera's is only 9fps

Surveillance Station

MAX IP cam # (Licenses required) : 50 (1 Free License) (See All Supported IP Cameras)

Total frame rate (FPS) : 720 FPS @ VGA, 360 FPS @ 720p, 180 FPS @ 1080p

Wouldn't frame rate depend on processor? For example, if you buy a Synology NAS you will get an Atom processor, but if you run Synology DMS on an i7 PC, you would have better performance, no?

Well it's plenty for the typical home user... but the 1080P limitation is going to bite them in the ass with 3MP and 5MP cameras becoming more mainstream and more affordable.

They have other issues too, such as their crappy performance with H.264 (remote viewing barely works with it on mobile devices)... inability to handle dual stream from most cams, etc.

Their new iOS app is a disaster. It's like they fired the guys who did the original DS Cam and outsourced it to someone who had no clue of how to write a proper surveillance app.

All in all the only reason I am still running it is that I already have it and don't want to build a dedicated PC for running security software or buy an NVR.

I do plan on re-purposing an i3 based HTPC later this year and might give Milestone and ExacQ another go on that thing (they support camera based motion).

Good info!

I must admit we use Milestone, and apart from having a few quirks it's awesome, best mobile client I've found yet, best camera motion detect, pricing is good.

3 x Milestone installs now, all of them are kicking arse

Good info!

I must admit we use Milestone, and apart from having a few quirks it's awesome, best mobile client I've found yet, best camera motion detect, pricing is good.

3 x Milestone installs now, all of them are kicking arse

I agree Milestone's mobile client is great and I am assuming you mean server side motion detection. My favorite part is mobile client is it copies for views from you Windows client. Also the streaming video from your cell phones camera is nifty.

Wouldn't frame rate depend on processor? For example, if you buy a Synology NAS you will get an Atom processor, but if you run Synology DMS on an i7 PC, you would have better performance, no?

Yes, Synology advertises different capabilities for different DiskStation units depending on how much CPU it has. However, that only results in a larger # of cams and a larger # of FPS for all cams combined. Even with the top end current generation DiskStations they still don't support higher than 1080P resolution.

I am really thinking about giving Milestone a go on this i3 box that I have... assuming that they can support camera side motion detection. Otherwise I don't know that the i3 has enough juice to handle 4 cameras.