vector18

Empire OEM nvr and cameras

As you all know, I install Dahua and really like it. But, I've decided to see what else is out there. I am going to set up

an Empire OEM nvy and a 1.3mp bullet and a 2.0mp bullet sometime soon. Right now I have them set up in my home

and just getting used to them. So far, everything is easy to use and the cameras look pretty good. I have the software CMS

installed but haven't really looked at it yet. In the next day or two, I will post images from the cameras and images

from the NVR interface. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me in this post.

OK, I set up the 2mp bullet on my terrace. Here is a screen shot of the camera being viewed by the CMS software.

227231_2.jpg

Here is a pic of the menu for programming the NVR. There are other sections, but this IMO is the main one.

227232_1.jpg

I will post a night time shot once it gets dark tonight.

Cant wait for the night times shots.

Do you mind uploading sample video to my FTP. Would love to see to Day time and night time video.

LMK

Thanks

I will post a night time shot once it gets dark tonight.

Cant wait for the night times shots.

Do you mind uploading sample video to my FTP. Would love to see to Day time and night time video.

LMK

Thanks

I'll post pics of night time on my balcony. If you want live video, PM me and I'll let you log into it.

I thought you were committed to Dahua, so what's the appeal of a going with a small importer? At the quantities you buy for your projects, you should be able to get Dahua's like this for under $100 from a wholesaler.

In case if anyone is wondering how I have an IP camera on my terrace, I have an outlet out there and I have a wifi bridge out there picking up my wifi and giving local power to the camera.

Hi Vector. A little off topic but I'm so jealous of your view of Forest Park.

Few people that know the area ever get a view from that perspective.

Looks like about the 18th floor...

Hi Vector. A little off topic but I'm so jealous of your view of Forest Park.

Few people that know the area ever get a view from that perspective.

Looks like about the 18th floor...

Good eye, but I'm on 15.

So how do you like these Empire cameras vs the dahua cams that you have used in the past..?

This is no 1 Dahua look alike in China at this moment. Most of the small/medium manufacturer uses this solution.

And there are so many of these small manufacturers in China, making basically what is the same camera as they all share the TI chipsets, the Aptina or Sony sensors, basically all clones of each other. Of course they will have similar image quality. I dub these the "Dahua Clones" named after the famous "Foscam Clones" from about 3 years back.

I attend the industry trade shows and there's usually a huge section of booths from China and Korea and they are loaded with these small manufactures and they seem to all have the same products but in different housings. They are looking for someone in the U.S. to take their product on as an OEM and sell it here with U.S. branding.

I thought about it doing it, but these days, with 3MP Hikvision and 1080P Dahua cameras so cheap, not sure the $20-30 difference in price is worth having a no-name camera, worrying about future support, warranty from the manufacturer, product longevity and support from leading NVR software companies, smartphone apps and such. But I was told there's a segment of the market that does not care about leading brand names, just wants the lowest upfront priced product that does the job. So look out, the BuellCam is coming, LOL

You are right. But for those who do not want to start selling IP cameras, it's nice that someone takes the time

to post sample images of different products. Empire gave me the chance to post sample images of their

product and to test it out so I am. I've ordered from them in the past and their customer support is great. They

also sell Dahua products so they are just an option if someone is looking for an IP system. Are there other

budget systems, of course there is, that is why we have this forum, to help people choose whats best for them.

The problem it's in an small confined area of a balcony surrounded on 3 sides by walls that can reflect light. It would be good to see IR capabilities further out, larger area. For example, I have older ACTi cameras that work great indoors, very clean crisp image. Put them outdoors in a larger area the image at night breaks down, lots of noise.

I think I have seen decent IR shots over at the other forum. I think it had to do with a firmware update. More and more though, it looks like hikvision would be a first consideration for me when the time comes. I like dahua too- between the two.

I plan on installing the camera to get a more broader view so I can test the daytime and night time shot that way. But normally,

if the camera does not have smart IR, even in a tight shot like that, you will get a wash out of one certain area.

Yes, the hardware is similar, but the software can make all the difference. I'm not sure if all these cameras used the canned TI h.264 compression library, but Dahua's image quality has those fuzzy shadow problems that the others don't, so they must be doing something different.

I haven't tested the ESC cams myself, but based on the samples posted over at cam-it, there are 2 difference between the ESC and the Dahua or Hik.

- ESC vs Dahua: No soft fuzzy shadows when there's bright light on the ESC. This is a big problem on both of my Dahuas.

- ESC vs Hik: The ESC appears to have better low light image with less noise. Not all the posts have all the image setting details, though, so this one's not as sure a thing.

Firmware support can be an issue as well with the small vendors. My Hiks are ESC branded, but I can download the firmware directly from Hik, so no problems. One user of an ESC branded Dahua reported he was unable to get a copy of the firmware (normal tech support on Dahua gear), and the vendor wanted the camera sent back or upgraded by them online.

Sorry for the OT but have any of you try the Empire NVR? Seems have some video analytics feature built into it.