Sign in to follow this  
hdtvjeff

Dahua 2MP bullet cam and 100 foot length

Hi everyone,

Here's an anomaly, Next to my Dahua IP PTZ 20x optical beast on a utility Pole I added a 2MP Dahua IP66. When I configured it inside my house it worked perfectly, but over the 100 foot run no signal. I took a dahua Mini Dome over that same drop and it's perfect, I just upgraded the firmware to the latest too.

Took the IP66 back in the house plugged it in router prefect again. IP66 Bullet Back on the pole with that same drop that works perfectly with the Mini Dome and poof, no signal.

What can this be? Defective camera over long lengths?

Ironically upon setup in my house, I turned off infrared, tested it in darkness and no infrared.

On top of pole, despite NO signal in browser staring in the dark at the IP66 2MP bullet on the pole, the infrareds were ON, go figure.

Tech support briefly suggested a stronger power supply than the 12v 1000ma, maybe a 12v 2000ma though that same power supply (12v 1000ma) powered the mini dome for 100 feet.

Thanks,

jeff

Edited by Guest

12V is trickier to use because if you are not using a thick enough wire you will get big voltage drops. Get a PoE injector, that should work better.

12V is trickier to use because if you are not using a thick enough wire you will get big voltage drops. Get a PoE injector, that should work better.

But isn't that the purpose of PoE?

So PoE injector in addition to the power transformer I'm using now to transmit power over cat5e or instead of?

I will try your idea though, but how come the mini dome by the same company worked?

EDIT****** Problem Solved, Took 12v 1000ma power adapter from netgear router ..same specs but four times the weight and same connector barrel...hooked it up, and now power from pole to house and browser, success!!!!

Thanks though,

Jeff

What gauge and type of wire are you sending your 12vdc on? Just try either the POE power, OR the 12vdc power. Not a good idea to have both.

What gauge and type of wire are you sending your 12vdc on? Just try either the POE power, OR the 12vdc power. Not a good idea to have both.

Why not ?

Frankly, I'm confused between your two cameras and which one was having the problem, from your description. But if more power got you there, cool beans.

OK, let me reword my post. My mistake, I was wrong, but at least I am man enough to admit it, unlike the majority of members here do. Now, it is ok to have both power sources, but it is not needed imo, and doesn't 'help' the camera. And for troubleshooting purposes, it would be a good idea to only have one power source. That's my opinion.

Edited by Guest

maybe something heavier like cat 6 using 23 or 24awg wires, that might work better over the 100 ft.